falseg0d

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
So I had issues with the last motherboard I purchased. (RMA) So I need to pick a different one, so I come to you guys for advice.
The processor is phenom x4 9850 black edition. A Radeon hd 4650 video card. (2) 2gb ddr2 800mhz ram. I'm also going to be using a wireless adapter, so I need a pci slot in it. 3.0 gb/s 1tb sata hard drive, and a sata cd rom drive. It's a mid size case.
I wish to keep the price low, but if it means spending an extra 15 for a much better motherboard, then I'll go with the latter. I don't want to have to go over 80 though.

airwolfflies

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010

Dear falseg0d,

I understand what you are going through dude. Cost is ALWAYS a consideration. I may have a solution for you and keep your wallet happy as well.
I heartily reccommend the ASUS M4N78 Pro Motherboard. I live in Auburn, Washington and I got my board from a Computer Sonics store for $129.95
Then I got the AMD Athalon 2 X2 250 cpu at a 3.0Ghz clocking frequency for $99.95 But the ASUS MB can also accomodate any Phenom cpu in the AMD lineup. Then I got the Kingston DDR2 Ram 4 GB kit for just $89.95 Then I got the Nvidea GE Force 9500GT Video Crad with 1 GB of dedicated RAM for just $74.95 Next I added the Linksys Wireless G PCI Card for $49.95 Then some cold cathode green neon tubes (2 come in the package) for $12.95
Then I added the Western Digital 1 TB SATA Hard drive for $89.95 and the Samsung DVD-RW SATA Drive for $31.95

The grand total for all these wickedly powerful and efficient components came to $602.25!
And as for the ATI Radeon 4650 Card, PLEASE get rid of it! Reason?I originally got the SAME ATI Radeon 4650 Card and HAD NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS WITH THIS CARD! They exchanged my 1st card because it somehow had burnt a component inside the card LESS THAN 2 WEEKS AFTER I Bought it!

Then, yes you read me correctly, ANOTHER problem with the replacement card only after 4 DAYS after the replacement!
So I had had it with the ATI Radeon 4650 Card! I had them exchange that chock full o problems card and set me up with an Nvidea GE Force 9500 GT Video Card with 1 GB of RAM and from that time on, I HAVE NEVER HAD ANOTHER PROBLEM WITH THIS AWESOME VIDEO CARD!

So for less than $620 you have yourself a powerful AND efficient system! Check out my pics of my build up of my system at Photobucket.com and search for airwolfflies folder. http://s986.photobucket.com/albums/ae344/airwolfflies/?action=view&current=DVC00068.jpg
You can see the pics of my system build and with the Musscool LCS cpu cooling system for just $66.49 at Frye's my cpu temp has NEVER gone any higher than 30C and 28C for my MB. Plus I bought all this in November of 2009 so some of these components should be even LOWER than when I bought them!

I hope this helps you choose the ASUS M4N78 Pro MB for your system, you will be quite happy with this MB

airwolfflies

falseg0d

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
I really can't be looking at motherboards that high, seeing as it's not my computer. I'm building it for a friend, and it's quite a budget computer.
@shane - the motherboard I chose looks to be a step down from the 90 dollar mb you chose. It won't ever be doing any crossfire, so does it seem like it would be fine?

I chose that video card because the person using this computer won't be doing anything that requires a high end card, but I chose something that would be at least decent and do the rest of the computer some respect. I know others with this card, and they haven't had those problems, i'll stick with it for now, but if it starts acting up i'll get back to you and tell you how right you were ;]

SHANEMARINES

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010

Honestly it should be fine, but I myself would try for a little extra just to get more bang for your buck!