Closed Solved

Recommended Components.

Basically I just want to run Arma 2 40-60 fps (city levels) at 1440x900 very high . I can run crysis half decently all max (no aa), and bad company 2 everything maxed single player (dont know about multiplayer, I'll get the my own copy soon).

My specs:


Motherboard: Dell RY206
Ram: 2 gb ram, kingston brand 1 gb each 800 mhz ddr2
Hard drive: Some 250 gb one, seagate I think
CPU: Athlon 64 x2 3800+ 2ghz
Video Card: Nvidia GTX 260 core 216 sc <3
Psu: antec 650 w
Case: Lian PC-A70f <3
O/S: Win 7 ultimate 32 bit
And an optical drive lol

My question is, without changing the motherboard, which is the BEST processor I can get and I want to know if any kind of 800mhz ddr2 ram stick will be compatible with my other ram sticks. i/e: "athlon 64 x2 6000 and 4gb ram will keep arma 2 running good". Any recomendations? Processors, mobos, etc.
13 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about recommended components
  1. Lets find out what RAM you actually have in there. CPU-Z utility program will be able to pin down the details about the RAM and can help you can pick matching spec'd RAM.
  2. ddr2 2048 mb, frecuency: 201.0+ mhz, fsb/dram: CPU/5, ras to cas delay: 5 clocks, ras precharge: 5 clocks, cycle time: 15 clocks, bank cycle time: 21 clocks, command rate: 1T
  3. For about $102 (plus tax & shipping)
    Kingston KVR800D2N5/1G DDR2-800 1GB CL5 $23.48 x2
    AMD Athlon X2 Dual-Core Processor 6400+ OEM $55.59

    For ~ $11 you can get a new CPU cooler. Has MX-2 thermal compound already applied to the heat sink.
    ARCTIC ALPINE 64 PRO
  4. WR2 said:
    For about $102 (plus tax & shipping)
    Kingston KVR800D2N5/1G DDR2-800 1GB CL5 $23.48 x2
    AMD Athlon X2 Dual-Core Processor 6400+ OEM $55.59

    For ~ $11 you can get a new CPU cooler. Has MX-2 thermal compound already applied to the heat sink.
    ARCTIC ALPINE 64 PRO


    wow thanks I thought the 6000+ was the most powerful processor athlon 64 x2 offered, is that site trustworthy? I usually buy at newegg. What about getting some thermal paste? Do I really need a cooler? thanks
  5. I was looking at the 6000+ till I found the 6400+ for about the same price.
    I'm not clear on how good the cooler on your x2 3800+ matches up with the x2 6400+.

    You'd need to clean the heatsink and reapply thermal compound to re-install your current cooler. You'd need to buy some thermal compound.

    I figure for $11 a better cooler that has thermal compound pre-applied to the heatsink is almost a bargain.

    I don't have any experience with the ewiz online store. But it has a fairly good reputation.

    NewEgg's best option was the Athlon 64 X2 5600+ 2.9GHz $60
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103279
  6. WR2 said:
    I was looking at the 6000+ till I found the 6400+ for about the same price.
    I'm not clear on how good the cooler on your x2 3800+ matches up with the x2 6400+.

    You'd need to clean the heatsink and reapply thermal compound to re-install your current cooler. You'd need to buy some thermal compound.

    I figure for $11 a better cooler that has thermal compound pre-applied to the heatsink is almost a bargain.

    I don't have any experience with the ewiz online store. But it has a fairly good reputation.

    NewEgg's best option was the Athlon 64 X2 5600+ 2.9GHz $60
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103279


    I was looking for this ram, is it compatible with my motherboard, and current ram? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231098&cm_re=2_gb_ddr2-_-20-231-098-_-Product
  7. That is the right spec'd RAM and should work OK.
    Also look @ A-DATA 2GB DDR2 800
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211066
  8. WR2 said:
    That is the right spec'd RAM and should work OK.
    Also look @ A-DATA 2GB DDR2 800
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211066


    thanks bro, now the final question, will arma 2 run fine with those components? 1440x900, thats my primary concern, or should I earn more and get a quad core motherboard?
  9. Sorry, ARMA 2 running 40-60 fps (city levels) at 1440x900 @ very high settings is too much to expect.

    PCGamesHardware explains why: ArmA 2 looks great in most parts, but the impressive graphics can't be run on any system at the moment - the performance is a disaster. To get the framerate to an acceptable level you have to lower the visual quality because of what the graphical experience suffers
    http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,685770/Armed-Assault-2-Graphics-card-benchmarks-and-visual-quality-compared-Top-article-of-June-2009/Practice/
  10. WR2 said:
    Sorry, ARMA 2 running 40-60 fps (city levels) at 1440x900 @ very high settings is too much to expect.

    PCGamesHardware explains why: ArmA 2 looks great in most parts, but the impressive graphics can't be run on any system at the moment - the performance is a disaster. To get the framerate to an acceptable level you have to lower the visual quality because of what the graphical experience suffers
    http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,685770/Armed-Assault-2-Graphics-card-benchmarks-and-visual-quality-compared-Top-article-of-June-2009/Practice/


    as long as arma 2 runs on medium or fast enough, even low lags. What about 1920x1200 gaming? cod4, crysis, etc. you're helping me alot, is there anyway I can give you points or merit on this site?
  11. Best answer
    1920x1200 is going to be a real challenge for ARMA2 and Crysis. You'll have to ease off the graphics settings toward low till you get playable performance. Using 1280x800 resolution and using game performance tweak guides should help you keep the games enjoyable. It looks like going from 3800+ to 6400+ should double your ARMA 2 performance. The RAM upgrade will help too.
    http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,687620/ArmA-2-tested-Benchmarks-with-18-CPUs/Practice/

    CoD:MW2 shouldn't be a problem for your 6400+/GTX 260 combo.

    Choosing a 'Best Answer' adds points to a members community standing and is a good way of saying thanks.
  12. Best answer selected by spartan1081990.
  13. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs RAM Product