Floks

Distinguished
May 25, 2010
I will be building my new PC this week and have a nice flat wooden desk to work on. The only problem I foresee is static buildup from my floors. I only have access to carpeted floors. I was wondering if I could use an ac adapter with a 3 prong end and a metal plug in on the other side as a grounding device. I think that three prong means it is grounded correct? Here is a picture of a dell adapter. It's a picture of the end that goes into the computer, the other end is a 3 prong plug. Any advice would be great as I don't want to fry my computer.

dell710M.jpg

Thanks

Solution

Nobody that knows what they are doing would give advice like this. Most static damage is of the "walking wounded" variety. You don't feel it and the system appears to runs fine at first. Then months later, the degradation and failures that you don't connect to the static occur.

If you value your...

SHANEMARINES

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
I mean to be honest I have never used anything to DE-Static myself all I did was just touch the frame of the case once and a while to make sure I didn't have any static, but I have NEVER had a problem with static even with a lot of carpet.

I myself wouldn't even worry about it.

gobblock882

Distinguished
May 29, 2010
gound is not necessarily ground for all devices

you want to put yourself at the same ground that the case is currently at

just get a wrist strap and clip onto the case bro

gobblock882

Distinguished
May 29, 2010
also dont worry about it

i worked in a test lab for a few months and never wore my strap (since i knew i wasnt going to be there long) and i never got any complaints about static fried boards and nothing i ever worked on tested good before i worked on it and bad afterwards.

that was like 40 hours a week for 3 months of not wearing a strap, odds are pretty astronomical for actually frying your stuff on a single project.

gobblock882

Distinguished
May 29, 2010
if your worried just get a strap and connect it to your case

also most test labs have carpet its not really a big deal if you even occaisionally touch the case, especially before you touch any pins

SHANEMARINES

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010

I would buy the static wrist strap over this thing you posted because thats just crazy. Sorry I don't mean to be crule.

SHANEMARINES

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010

I'm thinking if your house dosn't have the proper requirments to run a basic power cable -- where do you live lol? :eek:

If your worried about the plug so much, I would say plug something into it. :)

Floks

Distinguished
May 25, 2010
As it would turn out my surge protector has a ground indicator, so no need for a tester. I'm still looking for the answer as to weather or not my cord would work as a ground. Basically the wrist strap is a metal connection between you and your ground, right? So doesn't my power cord have these same properties?

Nobody that knows what they are doing would give advice like this. Most static damage is of the "walking wounded" variety. You don't feel it and the system appears to runs fine at first. Then months later, the degradation and failures that you don't connect to the static occur.

If you value your investment, take static electricity seriously.

Solution

TopherC

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009

Ground is a relative thing. Being "grounded" to the case you're working on is more important than earth ground. So I'd agree that having a wrist strap connected to the case is plenty of protection. The quality of an earth ground in your home wiring is not related to static electric buildup issues. You can also work quite safely without a wrist strap, I believe, if you are often or constantly touching the case. But the strap is more reliable.

cobot

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008

The case can only "absorb" a finite amount of static electricity if it is not itself grounded.
In dry weather and for example on carpet, that may or may not be enough.

In any case, I've never quite understood why people are making this into such a big deal.

People spend hundreds if not thousands of USD on their components. Why not just spend an extra $4 on an antistatic wrist strap? That way you have protected yourelf from any possible instability issues due to static discharges and it only cost ya a few bucks!

Floks

Distinguished
May 25, 2010
Sounds like I'm buying a wrist strap, but my one other issue with the strap is that I've noticed many reviews saying that the strap they received was not constructed properly leaving an incomplete circuit. The wire was not continuous and had a break in the ground. I get the feeling that these cheap straps are not a very good guarantee of safety. Does anyone have a suggestion on a wrist strap to purchase that is reliably built? And would I just connect it to the case I guess?

Floks

Distinguished
May 25, 2010
I still feel like I haven't gotten a definitive answer. I will purchase a wrist strap. I will connect it to the case. What else can I do to ground myself?

I think your worrying about it to much, All you have to do is:

Don't put any of your components on a carpet or clothes ETC....Work on a wooden or glass surface.
Touch a metal part of your case every few minutes, it will be enough to ground yourself.

If your still not happy then buy a antistatic wrist strap and attach it to a radiator (and obviously wear the strap).
That is all you need to do, infact the wrist strap (IMO) is overkill, I've been building PC's for 4 years and never used one, All I do is touch the case.