Sign in with
Your question

Ati better then nvidia?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 27, 2010 4:58:56 PM

So I've been perusing tom's hardware recently to gleam information for my build and now I've come to the GPU. Seems many people prefer the ATI cards over nvidia? Is that a fair statement?

I'm coming from the macintosh world where we've been using nvidia almost exclusively, particularly the laptop line.

To that end, I'm completely ignorant on what type of card would be a good fit for my needs.

I don't generally play games but having that option would be a plus. I'm not interested in SLI/Crossfire. I plan on using Linux, win7 and OSX either as an hackintosh or under vmware. The latter option is not a deal breaker since I'll be keeping my MacBook Pro.

Basically I'm looking for decent card that won't run me a ton of money, that won't give me a ton of headaches in Linux and is a good performer under windows. AFAIK, only the latest ATI cards are supported using linux proprietary drivers so a new-ish card is what I'd like to focus on.

Thanks
Mike

More about : ati nvidia

a c 126 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
April 27, 2010 5:07:01 PM

Ati have recently released new low/mid and high end cards at a competitive price, these new cards offer new features like DX11, they also use little power for the performance they give, so thats why your seeing alot of recommendations for ATi at the moment.
nVidia have just released their high end cards and are yet to release their low and mid range fermi base cards.

I don't know alot about Linux, I've heard nVidia driver support for linux is better than ATi's, but I don't know if thats true or not.
m
l
April 27, 2010 5:11:47 PM

i personally prefer Ati, i think they have slightly better performance-price value if your buying a mid range card. they are also a bit easier on the PSU.

however yes iv heard Nvidia has better driver support. but in the end i think both companies are fine
m
l
Related resources
April 27, 2010 5:20:57 PM

Yes, nvidia does seem to offer better linux drivers which is why I initially was going with them. I'll still look to use them based on I'm finding
m
l
April 27, 2010 5:42:36 PM

yes they are. In most ways, they're more energy efficient mainly, they are on smaller cards generally. Nvidia are overated. I aught to have gone for an ATI 4870 instead i went for a GTS 250, just that when i was buying motherboards there was a really nice nforce board for AM2+ matx that i wanted to buy so i bought it, thought i might as well go for an Nvidia card too. That's another thing, the price of ATI is usually better for just a bit more you get lots more performance, for example comparing the GTS 250 with the ATI 4870, could have payed the same and got a ATI 4870 lmao, and get about 25 FPS more in games. I honestly think that ATI is actually a better enthusiast card than Nvidia is, for starters you don't have to wait months and months like with Nvidia and now they have brought out a card that looks like a pain to run in a system stabally - GTX 480. Performance is the same, because in games like Crysis, using ultra high settings with 4aa and 4af at 1680x1080 it seems that all graphics cards struggle anyway, say if Nvidia got 60FPS average and ATI got 40FPS average they would really both play the same, not any difference will be noticed because during intense gameplay that FPS will shoot all the way down to 25-30 if you're only getting 40-60 FPS average, 80+ average is a smooth framerate only to play with. Therefore Nvidia doesn't have blistering framerate increases compared with ATI and looking at the down side their cards consume way too much energy and the size of the card increases as well, plus you get a lot of heat meaning hard to do overclocks and expensive cooling solutions needed. With the majority of games (128mb graphic requirements) good ATI and Nvidia cards will give you above 200 FPS anyway, so gameplay seems to be exactly the same with ATI compared to with Nvidia. Apart from GTX 200 cards scale better in SLI configurations that's the only advantage they have.
m
l
!