Sign in with
Your question

Connecting 2 - PCIE connectors [CLOSED]

Last response: in Systems
June 1, 2010 12:38:23 AM

Hi there I have a PSU with 2 seperate- 20A PCIE rails which i plan to connect for 40A total (data sheet says 40 A total so i know they are seperate)

Has anyone done this? I find it nearly impossible to get PCIE connectors, i was going to get 2 female and 1 male but I cant find them anywhere so Im going to strip one cable and cut the other and splice them together

anyone done this?
advice? Im good with electronics so soldering etc doesnt scare me.
June 1, 2010 12:41:43 AM

Not sure about this one for the fact that your trying to make something into something its not. First I'm just trying to understand what your hooking up and if this has anything to do with your hardware not being compatible?

Please explain more information about what your trying to accomplish.

Thanx.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 1, 2010 12:59:03 AM

There are molex to PCIe converters. You should try them first.

A better thing to do is tell us what hardware you have. I get the feeling your going to do something that isn't a good idea.
m
l
Related resources
June 1, 2010 1:22:51 AM

I have a 5770 and ATI recommends 40 A available on the 12 V rail

My PSU has 2 seperate 12 V PCIE rails with 20A available on each of them

By connecting 2 sources with 20A and the same voltage you get the combined current.

By combining the two 20 A rails I can have one 40 A rail.
m
l
June 1, 2010 1:27:31 AM

What you need for your ATI Radeon HD 5770 Card:

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/ati-rad...

"450 Watt or greater power supply with one 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended (600 Watt and two 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode)"

If your PSU reaches these requirments then your fine and don't need to screw with anything and if your needing to upgrade your PSU all you have to do is post your budget and Toms can find you a great PSU for the PRICE!
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 1, 2010 2:04:03 AM

Maybe. Depends on if the single source feeding those rails can supply 40A. My Delta sourced Antec Earthwatts 500W PSU can handle 22A per 12V rail, but only 34 combined. Using your math it would be 44A.
m
l
June 1, 2010 3:18:08 AM

The silverstone site quotes 40 A combined current available for my 560W supply

From Guru3D (i know they quote high but i have seen a lot of other review saying 30A
Quote:
Recommended Power Supply

So here's my power supply recommendation:

Radeon HD 5770 (single GPU)

The card requires you to have a 500 Watt power supply unit at minimum if you use it in a high-end system. That power supply needs to have (in total accumulated) at least 40 Amps available on the +12 volts rails.

The Toms PSU forum says:
For all the above Cards you should have atleast 30 amps on the 12 volt rail.
That includes the 5770

im going to repost over there, i realized this is a PSU question and not a system building question
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 1, 2010 4:57:37 AM

I was surprised at the 40A figure for the 5770. I know the 5750 has the power draw of the 9800GT, but with GTS250 performance. I wouldn't think the 5770 would go that much higher. 30A seems about right, and remember that's for the entire system and not just the card. Was only trying to point out that you can't just add the single rails together to get to the max output.
m
l
!