Favourite Villian/Death in the TR series

In a bid to make this newsgroup alive again, I'm starting this thread to
find out your favourite villian and method of death (Lara or villian).

One way I like making Lara die (after saving the game, of course) is to
stand on high ground (more than a box high) and do a swan dive to crack her
skull. Ghastly death expected but it's not so gruesome as on the screen.
*evil cackles* For new players (where have you been?!): The swan dive is
best executed in the opening scenes of the Opera House in TR2, after getting
rid of the henchman below the swinging box. There are many other ways to
kill Lara/get Lara killed but none as satisfying as this cos you get to kill
her yourself. *hyak hyak* Exploding Lara is good too but too troublesome to
execute. But still, fun if you're into this sort of thing. *heh heh*

One memorable villian is that big glop of a mutant in the last level of TR1.
Easy to kill once you know the trick but it was the way he/it/(or maybe,
she) kills Lara that is more interesting. Push over the ledge or slam after
grabbing Lara. Now that's more like it.

Hmmm... I just realised that killing Lara makes the game fun! *more evil
cackling echoes in the room*

--
WY

Why are we here? Perhaps we were put here to protect the other animals.
- Animal Planet
55 answers Last reply
More about favourite villian death series
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    Even more gruesome in AOD: When Lara dies from a fall, her body keeps moving
    and flopping like her bones are all smashed.

    For the reason being that it was the first TR boss to make me really get
    annoyed, killing Boaz gave me the most satisfaction.
    I also like the exploding mutants in TR1.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    "W. Y." <yeomy@BLAHBLAHBLAH.singnet.com.sg> wrote in message news:<clk9g9$hj6$1@mawar.singnet.com.sg>...
    > In a bid to make this newsgroup alive again, I'm starting this thread to
    > find out your favourite villian and method of death (Lara or villian).

    Death by Yeti in TR2 is fun, she gets picked up and shaken and thrown
    down, I think the dinosaurs do this to her as well!

    That guy in TR - Chronicles when he falls into the pit is pretty
    funny.

    Also like when you make Lara stand on the midas hand in TR1. *clang*
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    W. Y. wrote:
    > In a bid to make this newsgroup alive again, I'm starting this thread to
    > find out your favourite villian and method of death (Lara or villian).
    >
    > One way I like making Lara die (after saving the game, of course) is to
    > stand on high ground (more than a box high) and do a swan dive to crack her
    > skull. Ghastly death expected but it's not so gruesome as on the screen.
    > *evil cackles* For new players (where have you been?!): The swan dive is
    > best executed in the opening scenes of the Opera House in TR2, after getting
    > rid of the henchman below the swinging box. There are many other ways to
    > kill Lara/get Lara killed but none as satisfying as this cos you get to kill
    > her yourself. *hyak hyak* Exploding Lara is good too but too troublesome to
    > execute. But still, fun if you're into this sort of thing. *heh heh*
    >
    > One memorable villian is that big glop of a mutant in the last level of TR1.
    > Easy to kill once you know the trick but it was the way he/it/(or maybe,
    > she) kills Lara that is more interesting. Push over the ledge or slam after
    > grabbing Lara. Now that's more like it.
    >
    > Hmmm... I just realised that killing Lara makes the game fun! *more evil
    > cackling echoes in the room*

    I *LOVE* that giant atlantean mutant! For one of the most gruesome
    deaths I would say that it was between that and the "Yeti Death"
    (sometimes I still cringe). But my favourite way of killing Lara is
    diving off the platform in the Great Pyramid battle with the mutant.
    It's an ace way of escaping if you stuff it up and have no chance of
    winning ;).

    For the best villian I would say Willard. Who would have thought that
    the soup-eating scotsman would turn into that evil beast of a spider!!

    Caevyan.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    Oh yes, turning Lara into gold is cool too. I did that repeatedly too!

    WY

    "Stormstruck" <stormstruck_@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > "W. Y." <yeomy@BLAHBLAHBLAH.singnet.com.sg> wrote in message
    >> In a bid to make this newsgroup alive again, I'm starting this thread to
    >> find out your favourite villian and method of death (Lara or villian).
    >>

    > Death by Yeti in TR2 is fun, she gets picked up and shaken and thrown
    > down, I think the dinosaurs do this to her as well!
    >
    > That guy in TR - Chronicles when he falls into the pit is pretty
    > funny.
    >
    > Also like when you make Lara stand on the midas hand in TR1. *clang*
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    "Stormstruck" <stormstruck_@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > "W. Y." <yeomy@BLAHBLAHBLAH.singnet.com.sg> wrote in message
    >> In a bid to make this newsgroup alive again, I'm starting this
    >> thread to find out your favourite villian and method of death (Lara
    >> or villian).
    >>

    > Death by Yeti in TR2 is fun, she gets picked up and shaken and thrown
    > down, I think the dinosaurs do this to her as well!
    >
    > That guy in TR - Chronicles when he falls into the pit is pretty
    > funny.
    >
    > Also like when you make Lara stand on the midas hand in TR1. *clang*

    Yaknow, that was just so *sudden*, that awful metallic sound, then all
    is quiet and your senses catch up to the moment and you're not trying to
    keep moving her and you realize it's...
    GAME OVER! ;o) With the mini-flyby to show her off a bit.... Thors
    Hammer was another one like that. "Oh, hm...what's this square do?
    [jumps on, up and down a bit] Ha! nuthin! **BLAM!** HUH?!?!
    WhaHoppen?!? <GAME OVER> :o)) Oh NO I wanna SEE! What the heck
    happened?!? <mini flyby> Oh !
    McG.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    "Caevyan" <caevyan@removethisbit.yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

    > For the best villian I would say Willard. Who would have thought that the
    > soup-eating scotsman would turn into that evil beast of a spider!!
    >
    > Caevyan.

    Surely that have been preceded with a spoiler alert. Now you've ruined the
    game for some. ;-)
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    > Oh yes, turning Lara into gold is cool too. I did that repeatedly too!
    >
    > WY

    Oh my lord! My kids always bugged me - turn her into gold, Mama. Gold! LOL

    Dani
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    Pistol Whipped wrote:

    > W. Y. wrote:
    > > In a bid to make this newsgroup alive again, I'm starting this thread to
    > > find out your favourite villian and method of death (Lara or villian).
    > >
    > <snip>
    > >
    > > Hmmm... I just realised that killing Lara makes the game fun! *more evil
    > > cackling echoes in the room*
    > >

    > Let's see. Hmmmmm
    >
    > Favorite way to kill Lara:

    Hmmm... interesting. WY asks about interesting ways to kill
    Lara *or* a villain, and we translate that into killing Lara. ;)

    Well, here's one for killing villains: the skeletons in TR 4
    who run around randomly until they fall off a cliff once their
    heads get shot off.

    Here's a thought... I wonder how many of those who like killing
    Lara get upset at nude Lara's or have a short fuse toward the
    occasional person who pops in here asking about nude raider.

    I suspect it's many of the same people. (I find that fascinating,
    it's almost like the militant "pro-life" people who favor the death
    penalty.)

    -- G
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
    > Pistol Whipped wrote:
    >>
    >> W. Y. wrote:
    >>> In a bid to make this newsgroup alive again, I'm starting this
    >>> thread to find out your favourite villian and method of death (Lara
    >>> or villian).
    >>>
    >> <snip>
    >>>
    >>> Hmmm... I just realised that killing Lara makes the game fun! *more
    >>> evil cackling echoes in the room*
    >>>

    >> Let's see. Hmmmmm
    >>
    >> Favorite way to kill Lara:
    >
    > Hmmm... interesting. WY asks about interesting ways to kill
    > Lara *or* a villain, and we translate that into killing Lara. ;)
    >
    > Well, here's one for killing villains: the skeletons in TR 4
    > who run around randomly until they fall off a cliff once their
    > heads get shot off.
    >
    > Here's a thought... I wonder how many of those who like killing
    > Lara get upset at nude Lara's or have a short fuse toward the
    > occasional person who pops in here asking about nude raider.
    >
    > I suspect it's many of the same people. (I find that fascinating,
    > it's almost like the militant "pro-life" people who favor the death
    > penalty.)
    >
    > -- G

    I'm pro-life and I do NOT favor the death penalty.

    Have you noted how forgiving Lara is? Every time you get her killed
    (deliberatly or not) she's ready to go right back in there with ya every
    time :)
    McG.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    It's more interesting I guess since all the time we're asking how to get rid
    of a villian rather than Lara herself.

    It's more like most didn't talk about fave villian but that's fine since we
    now know how demented we TR players are. :)

    As for the nudes, I just ignore and delete them whenever they appear. Don't
    even want to reply those. I don't understand what's so fascinating about a
    nude CGI. Men/Boys... *shakes head* ;)

    WY

    "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
    > Pistol Whipped wrote:
    >>
    >> W. Y. wrote:
    >> > In a bid to make this newsgroup alive again, I'm starting this thread
    >> > find out your favourite villian and method of death (Lara or villian).
    >> >
    >> <snip>
    >> >
    >> > Hmmm... I just realised that killing Lara makes the game fun! *more
    >> > evil
    >> > cackling echoes in the room*
    >> >

    >> Let's see. Hmmmmm
    >>
    >> Favorite way to kill Lara:
    >
    > Hmmm... interesting. WY asks about interesting ways to kill
    > Lara *or* a villain, and we translate that into killing Lara. ;)
    >
    > Well, here's one for killing villains: the skeletons in TR 4
    > who run around randomly until they fall off a cliff once their
    > heads get shot off.
    >
    > Here's a thought... I wonder how many of those who like killing
    > Lara get upset at nude Lara's or have a short fuse toward the
    > occasional person who pops in here asking about nude raider.
    >
    > I suspect it's many of the same people. (I find that fascinating,
    > it's almost like the militant "pro-life" people who favor the death
    > penalty.)
    >
    > -- G
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    > It's more interesting I guess since all the time we're asking how to
    > get rid of a villian rather than Lara herself.
    >
    > It's more like most didn't talk about fave villian but that's fine
    > since we now know how demented we TR players are. :)
    >
    > As for the nudes, I just ignore and delete them whenever they appear.
    > Don't even want to reply those. I don't understand what's so
    > fascinating about a nude CGI. Men/Boys... *shakes head* ;)
    >
    > WY

    When I first got AoD, and we (in here) were talking about all sorts of
    AoD stuff, including the New Lara; I wondered when the clamoring for
    the Nude AoD patch would start. Seeing as it's a more realistic Lara
    model with jiggles to boot :o\ Yeah we discussed THAT part too, like it
    was important or something. Me, I figured it was a waste of compute
    cycles and completely unnecessary for the game. But getting into the
    game itself, I don't even notice.
    One thing I do still notice: the Lara animations are excellent. If
    there is a TR7, I hope their animators do as good a job as Cores always
    did!
    McG.

    > Bugs Bunny wrote:
    > >
    > > "Dani" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > > But come on.....................is there no one out there who didn't
    like
    > > killing Lara?
    >
    > Well, I'm one who doesn't like killing Lara.
    >
    > I admit some of the animations are good and are worth seeing (the
    > best of which is the Midas hand where she gets turned to gold).
    > But aside from that, I don't see the appeal. In my mind, it's a
    > failure on your part if you get her killed--you lose! And losing
    > isn't exactly way up there on my list of fun things to do. :)
    >
    > Also, Lara is our heroine. Just as in a book or movie, we're
    > supposed to care something about the protagonist. Again, aside
    > from however good the animations may be, I don't see why is it's
    > fun to see our lovely Lara get killed. The only thing I can think
    > of is it might have something to do with the psychology of "getting
    > back" at the programmers/Lara for some of the frustrations in the
    > game, or perhaps some kind of "ultimate control" issues. (No
    > disparagement intended toward anyone.)

    EXACTLY! I killed her out of frustration. She's still my hero(ine). But she
    ain't real... ; )

    Dani
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    > "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
    > > Pistol Whipped wrote:

    > >> <snip>

    > >> Let's see. Hmmmmm
    > >>
    > >> Favorite way to kill Lara:
    > >
    > > Hmmm... interesting. WY asks about interesting ways to kill
    > > Lara *or* a villain, and we translate that into killing Lara. ;)
    > >
    > > Well, here's one for killing villains: the skeletons in TR 4
    > > who run around randomly until they fall off a cliff once their
    > > heads get shot off.
    > >
    > > Here's a thought... I wonder how many of those who like killing
    > > Lara get upset at nude Lara's or have a short fuse toward the
    > > occasional person who pops in here asking about nude raider.
    > >
    > > I suspect it's many of the same people. (I find that fascinating,
    > > it's almost like the militant "pro-life" people who favor the death
    > > penalty.)
    > >
    > > -- G
    >
    > I'm pro-life and I do NOT favor the death penalty.
    >
    > Have you noted how forgiving Lara is? Every time you get her killed
    > (deliberatly or not) she's ready to go right back in there with ya every
    > time :)
    > McG.

    Here's to Lara playing a game with me as the character - laughing madly as
    she makes me do the hand-stand of death into a beautiful swan dive off of a
    building...

    *now to get my fat ass up to specs, lmao *

    ; )

    Dani
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    Dani wrote:

    > > "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message

    > > > Hmmm... interesting. WY asks about interesting ways to kill
    > > > Lara *or* a villain, and we translate that into killing Lara. ;)
    > > >
    > > > Well, here's one for killing villains: the skeletons in TR 4
    > > > who run around randomly until they fall off a cliff once their
    > > > heads get shot off.
    > > >
    > > > Here's a thought... I wonder how many of those who like killing
    > > > Lara get upset at nude Lara's or have a short fuse toward the
    > > > occasional person who pops in here asking about nude raider.
    > > >
    > > > I suspect it's many of the same people. (I find that fascinating,
    > > > it's almost like the militant "pro-life" people who favor the death
    > > > penalty.)
    > > >
    > > > -- G
    > >
    > > I'm pro-life and I do NOT favor the death penalty.
    > >
    > > Have you noted how forgiving Lara is? Every time you get her killed
    > > (deliberatly or not) she's ready to go right back in there with ya every
    > > time :)
    > > McG.
    > >

    > Here's to Lara playing a game with me as the character - laughing madly as
    > she makes me do the hand-stand of death into a beautiful swan dive off of a
    > building...
    >
    > *now to get my fat ass up to specs, lmao *
    >
    > ; )
    >
    > Dani

    I still say that my favorite ( simply because it was so sudden and
    painfully dramatic - no to mention had its own MUSIC! ) was her being
    hit by the subway trains in TR3...or was it TR3 - The Lost Artifact? <
    brain fart mode >

    --
    rolobeastie@earthlink.net
    Never saw it coming!

    >> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message

    >>> Hmmm... interesting. WY asks about interesting ways to kill
    >>> Lara *or* a villain, and we translate that into killing Lara. ;)
    >>>
    >>> Well, here's one for killing villains: the skeletons in TR 4
    >>> who run around randomly until they fall off a cliff once their
    >>> heads get shot off.
    >>>
    >>> Here's a thought... I wonder how many of those who like killing
    >>> Lara get upset at nude Lara's or have a short fuse toward the
    >>> occasional person who pops in here asking about nude raider.
    >>>
    >>> I suspect it's many of the same people. (I find that fascinating,
    >>> it's almost like the militant "pro-life" people who favor the death
    >>> penalty.)
    >>>
    >>> -- G
    >>
    >> I'm pro-life and I do NOT favor the death penalty.
    >>
    >> Have you noted how forgiving Lara is? Every time you get her killed
    >> (deliberatly or not) she's ready to go right back in there with ya
    >> every time :)
    >> McG.
    >>

    > Here's to Lara playing a game with me as the character - laughing
    > madly as she makes me do the hand-stand of death into a beautiful
    > swan dive off of a building...
    >
    > *now to get my fat ass up to specs, lmao *
    >
    > ; )
    >
    > Dani

    HA! I'll be in the bleachers for that one Dani! :o)
    McG.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    "Gordian Slash" <rolobeastie@earthspamlink.com> wrote in message
    > Dani wrote:
    >>
    >> "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message

    >>> I'm pro-life and I do NOT favor the death penalty.
    >>>
    >>> Have you noted how forgiving Lara is? Every time you get her killed
    >>> (deliberatly or not) she's ready to go right back in there with ya
    >>> every time :)
    >>> McG.
    >>>

    >> Here's to Lara playing a game with me as the character - laughing
    >> madly as she makes me do the hand-stand of death into a beautiful
    >> swan dive off of a building...
    >>
    >> *now to get my fat ass up to specs, lmao *
    >>
    >> ; )
    >>
    >> Dani
    >
    > I still say that my favorite ( simply because it was so sudden and
    > painfully dramatic - no to mention had its own MUSIC! ) was her being
    > hit by the subway trains in TR3...or was it TR3 - The Lost Artifact? <
    > brain fart mode >

    That would be TR3, Subway. Yeah, that's one that had me looking at the
    screen with a blank look the first time.

    Matrix: Revolutions, the scene where Neo runs down the tube one
    way....and a minute later exits that tube into the stop where he
    started.... that TR3 scene immediately came to mind.
    McG.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    McGrandpa wrote:

    > I'm pro-life and I do NOT favor the death penalty.

    Many do.

    > Have you noted how forgiving Lara is? Every time you get her killed
    > (deliberatly or not) she's ready to go right back in there with ya every
    > time :)

    But whenever you start up the game (including a reset after killing
    Lara), it starts with a saved Lara--who didn't know about what you
    did to her in the last incarnation. :) She might feel differently
    about you if there wasn't a reset involved. ;)

    Actually, now that I think about it... that would be fun! They
    should build in some sort of memory for Lara so she *would* know
    what happened previously. If you keep making the same mistake or
    whatever, she'd start getting exasperated with you. I can just
    see it: You walk her up to a gap to jump--after a certain number
    of times--she suddenly whirls back to face the player and says
    something like: "Oh no, not *again*! Do you *enjoy* hearing my
    bones crunch or something? Now, *concentrate* this time!"

    Heh, that'd be oh so cool. :D

    -- G
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    Gordian Slash wrote:

    > Dani wrote:
    > >
    > > "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message

    > > > I'm pro-life and I do NOT favor the death penalty.
    > > >
    > > > Have you noted how forgiving Lara is? Every time you get her killed
    > > > (deliberatly or not) she's ready to go right back in there with ya every
    > > > time :)
    > > > McG.
    > > >

    > > Here's to Lara playing a game with me as the character - laughing madly as
    > > she makes me do the hand-stand of death into a beautiful swan dive off of a
    > > building...
    > >
    > > *now to get my fat ass up to specs, lmao *
    > >
    > > ; )
    > >
    > > Dani
    >
    > I still say that my favorite ( simply because it was so sudden and
    > painfully dramatic - no to mention had its own MUSIC! ) was her being
    > hit by the subway trains in TR3...or was it TR3 - The Lost Artifact? <
    > brain fart mode >
    >
    > --
    > rolobeastie@earthlink.net
    > Never saw it coming!

    I sure saw that coming, and that makes it worse somehow. :( I
    took my time in that area. There's a train track, of *course*
    there'd be a train! How could the programmers overlook a very
    obvious way of killing Lara like *that*? And, sure enough...

    It looked like there was another passage up the tunnel. I
    figured I'd wait for a train to pass by, *then* run to the
    passage. I waited... and waited... and lollygagged around...
    no train. Not even a sound of a train coming. So, I finally
    had Lara sprint to the passage, but nope, never made it. :/
    You can hear the train coming, but there wasn't enough time to
    make it to the passage nor run back... oh no--splat--*Damn*!
    I *knew* it. <slaps forehead> humph :|

    It seems like they have a trigger there, so if you go down the
    track, you'll get it. No matter what.

    -- G
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    Dani wrote:

    > "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
    > > Bugs Bunny wrote:
    > > >
    > > > "Dani" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > > > But come on.....................is there no one out there who didn't
    > like
    > > > killing Lara?
    > >
    > > Well, I'm one who doesn't like killing Lara.
    > >
    > > I admit some of the animations are good and are worth seeing (the
    > > best of which is the Midas hand where she gets turned to gold).
    > > But aside from that, I don't see the appeal. In my mind, it's a
    > > failure on your part if you get her killed--you lose! And losing
    > > isn't exactly way up there on my list of fun things to do. :)
    > >
    > > Also, Lara is our heroine. Just as in a book or movie, we're
    > > supposed to care something about the protagonist. Again, aside
    > > from however good the animations may be, I don't see why is it's
    > > fun to see our lovely Lara get killed. The only thing I can think
    > > of is it might have something to do with the psychology of "getting
    > > back" at the programmers/Lara for some of the frustrations in the
    > > game, or perhaps some kind of "ultimate control" issues. (No
    > > disparagement intended toward anyone.)
    > >

    > EXACTLY! I killed her out of frustration. She's still my hero(ine). But she
    > ain't real... ; )
    >
    > Dani

    NO! She's not real?! Are you sure? ;P

    -- G
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    > McGrandpa wrote:
    >
    >> I'm pro-life and I do NOT favor the death penalty.
    >
    > Many do.
    >
    >> Have you noted how forgiving Lara is? Every time you get her killed
    >> (deliberatly or not) she's ready to go right back in there with ya
    >> every time :)
    >
    > But whenever you start up the game (including a reset after killing
    > Lara), it starts with a saved Lara--who didn't know about what you
    > did to her in the last incarnation. :) She might feel differently
    > about you if there wasn't a reset involved. ;)

    LOL! ok ok, you're right, ya got me there :)

    > Actually, now that I think about it... that would be fun! They
    > should build in some sort of memory for Lara so she *would* know
    > what happened previously. If you keep making the same mistake or
    > whatever, she'd start getting exasperated with you. I can just
    > see it: You walk her up to a gap to jump--after a certain number
    > of times--she suddenly whirls back to face the player and says
    > something like: "Oh no, not *again*! Do you *enjoy* hearing my
    > bones crunch or something? Now, *concentrate* this time!"
    >
    > Heh, that'd be oh so cool. :D
    >
    > -- G

    Yeah, it would! I can think of a lot of things that would change. Ha!
    Care to try a few?

    River Ganges, or really anyplace you could drown her. Walks her up to
    the edge of the pool, Lara spins around, plants hands firmly on hips;
    "You DO plan to have me do a full swan dive to the LEFT this time, don't
    you?" with a glaring look.
    :)
    McG.
  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    > Gordian Slash wrote:
    >>
    >> Dani wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message

    >>> Here's to Lara playing a game with me as the character - laughing
    >>> madly as she makes me do the hand-stand of death into a beautiful
    >>> swan dive off of a building...
    >>>
    >>> *now to get my fat ass up to specs, lmao *
    >>>
    >>> ; )
    >>>
    >>> Dani
    >>
    >> I still say that my favorite ( simply because it was so sudden and
    >> painfully dramatic - no to mention had its own MUSIC! ) was her being
    >> hit by the subway trains in TR3...or was it TR3 - The Lost Artifact?
    >> < brain fart mode >
    >>
    >> --
    >> rolobeastie@earthlink.net
    >> Never saw it coming!
    >
    > I sure saw that coming, and that makes it worse somehow. :( I
    > took my time in that area. There's a train track, of *course*
    > there'd be a train! How could the programmers overlook a very
    > obvious way of killing Lara like *that*? And, sure enough...
    >
    > It looked like there was another passage up the tunnel. I
    > figured I'd wait for a train to pass by, *then* run to the
    > passage. I waited... and waited... and lollygagged around...
    > no train. Not even a sound of a train coming. So, I finally
    > had Lara sprint to the passage, but nope, never made it. :/
    > You can hear the train coming, but there wasn't enough time to
    > make it to the passage nor run back... oh no--splat--*Damn*!
    > I *knew* it. <slaps forehead> humph :|
    >
    > It seems like they have a trigger there, so if you go down the
    > track, you'll get it. No matter what.
    >
    > -- G

    Yep, BUT there is a way TO get to that opening. I think. Been a while.
    Isn't that right before the Drill Site, and before Luds Gate? that's
    where you actually enter that area I think.
    Gee, it's been a while!
    McG.
  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    Good idea, an interactive Lara. Wow, guess when we start a new game, we'd be
    given chances right? Can't be dissed for not playing a new game well, can
    we? Maybe change the level of difficulty as we progress. If missed a
    trap/villian/whatever once, lower difficulty by a notch but if complete with
    no misses, increase the level steadily. Thought they might have something
    like that hardwired in the games. No? Ah... not so diligent, I guess.

    WY

    "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
    > McGrandpa wrote:
    >
    >> I'm pro-life and I do NOT favor the death penalty.
    >
    > Many do.
    >
    >> Have you noted how forgiving Lara is? Every time you get her killed
    >> (deliberatly or not) she's ready to go right back in there with ya every
    >> time :)
    >
    > But whenever you start up the game (including a reset after killing
    > Lara), it starts with a saved Lara--who didn't know about what you
    > did to her in the last incarnation. :) She might feel differently
    > about you if there wasn't a reset involved. ;)
    >
    > Actually, now that I think about it... that would be fun! They
    > should build in some sort of memory for Lara so she *would* know
    > what happened previously. If you keep making the same mistake or
    > whatever, she'd start getting exasperated with you. I can just
    > see it: You walk her up to a gap to jump--after a certain number
    > of times--she suddenly whirls back to face the player and says
    > something like: "Oh no, not *again*! Do you *enjoy* hearing my
    > bones crunch or something? Now, *concentrate* this time!"
    >
    > Heh, that'd be oh so cool. :D
    >
    > -- G
  23. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    In article <cm00ku$9er$1@mawar.singnet.com.sg>, "W. Y."
    <yeomy@BLAHBLAHBLAH.singnet.com.sg> writes:

    >As for the nudes, I just ignore and delete them whenever they appear. Don't
    >even want to reply those. I don't understand what's so fascinating about a
    >nude CGI. Men/Boys... *shakes head* ;)

    We ain't been gettin' any? ;-)
  24. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    In article <4184BEF1.9A78EB53@ix.nospam.netcom.com>, Gary Mitchell
    <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> writes:

    >It seems like they have a trigger there, so if you go down the
    >track, you'll get it. No matter what.
    >
    > -- G

    There wasn't supposed to be any extra path there. It's "out-of-bounds".
    Remember Unfinished Business, where you got to play around in the desert sand
    for a while...up to a point where Lara suddenly collapses and you hear a sizzle
    as if she got fried?

    It's that type of "out-of-bounds"...the kind that kills.

    In the case of TR3, it's an oncoming train that you can't avoid.
  25. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    McGrandpa wrote:
    > "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message

    <snip>
    >>I haven't verified this, but I've heard she'll survive any fall if
    >>she lands in water, even shallow water. (It's a bug, or perhaps
    >>more accurately: a programming oversight.)
    >>
    >>-- G
    >

    > Well, that's exactly what I wanted to see. Roof of the mansion, long
    > fall, certain death unless there's water. The water, it's very shallow
    > there, she wades thru it making splashing sounds. It's right at the
    > cargo nets up the wood platform for the corner bug to get on the wall.
    > Anyway, I haven't got her to land in the water from the roof yet :( so I
    > don't know if that works for any depth water. And since it's in the
    > training level, failure is a complete restart. Two or three times
    > consumes enough time I tired of it.
    > McG.

    I'm pretty sure the water has to be at least deep enough to swim in. I
    can distinctly remember killing her several times in the level I built
    which only had knee deep water.

    --

    Pistol Whipped
  26. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    McGrandpa wrote:

    > "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
    > > Gordian Slash wrote:

    > >> I still say that my favorite ( simply because it was so sudden and
    > >> painfully dramatic - no to mention had its own MUSIC! ) was her being
    > >> hit by the subway trains in TR3...or was it TR3 - The Lost Artifact?
    > >> < brain fart mode >
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> rolobeastie@earthlink.net
    > >> Never saw it coming!
    > >
    > > I sure saw that coming, and that makes it worse somehow. :( I
    > > took my time in that area. There's a train track, of *course*
    > > there'd be a train! How could the programmers overlook a very
    > > obvious way of killing Lara like *that*? And, sure enough...
    > >
    > > It looked like there was another passage up the tunnel. I
    > > figured I'd wait for a train to pass by, *then* run to the
    > > passage. I waited... and waited... and lollygagged around...
    > > no train. Not even a sound of a train coming. So, I finally
    > > had Lara sprint to the passage, but nope, never made it. :/
    > > You can hear the train coming, but there wasn't enough time to
    > > make it to the passage nor run back... oh no--splat--*Damn*!
    > > I *knew* it. <slaps forehead> humph :|
    > >
    > > It seems like they have a trigger there, so if you go down the
    > > track, you'll get it. No matter what.
    > >
    > > -- G
    >
    > Yep, BUT there is a way TO get to that opening. I think. Been a while.

    Yeah, there is.

    > Isn't that right before the Drill Site, and before Luds Gate? that's
    > where you actually enter that area I think.
    > Gee, it's been a while!
    > McG.

    It sure has been a while! :)

    The initial, direct approach will get you (Lara) killed. You have to
    get there later on, by another path, (I forget now what it was).

    -- G
  27. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    McGrandpa wrote:

    > "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
    > > McGrandpa wrote:
    > >
    > >> I'm pro-life and I do NOT favor the death penalty.
    > >
    > > Many do.
    > >
    > >> Have you noted how forgiving Lara is? Every time you get her killed
    > >> (deliberatly or not) she's ready to go right back in there with ya
    > >> every time :)
    > >
    > > But whenever you start up the game (including a reset after killing
    > > Lara), it starts with a saved Lara--who didn't know about what you
    > > did to her in the last incarnation. :) She might feel differently
    > > about you if there wasn't a reset involved. ;)
    >
    > LOL! ok ok, you're right, ya got me there :)
    >

    > > Actually, now that I think about it... that would be fun! They
    > > should build in some sort of memory for Lara so she *would* know
    > > what happened previously. If you keep making the same mistake or
    > > whatever, she'd start getting exasperated with you. I can just
    > > see it: You walk her up to a gap to jump--after a certain number
    > > of times--she suddenly whirls back to face the player and says
    > > something like: "Oh no, not *again*! Do you *enjoy* hearing my
    > > bones crunch or something? Now, *concentrate* this time!"
    > >
    > > Heh, that'd be oh so cool. :D
    > >
    > > -- G
    >
    > Yeah, it would! I can think of a lot of things that would change. Ha!
    > Care to try a few?

    How about when you try to have her do a swan dive (or even just a
    simple jump) from a high place into the ground... Instead of doing
    it, she *slowly* turns and gives the player a dirty look and says
    "*Surely* you jest!" :) Or... I very much disliked the very end of
    TR 2, when Lara shoots the player; but in a case like this, that
    would be forgivable.

    You know, I think something like this might qualify as an easter egg.
    They could have done a lot of things like that. But I suppose they
    were under too much time pressure for frills. :/

    -- G

    > River Ganges, or really anyplace you could drown her. Walks her up to
    > the edge of the pool, Lara spins around, plants hands firmly on hips;
    > "You DO plan to have me do a full swan dive to the LEFT this time, don't
    > you?" with a glaring look.
    > :)
    > McG.
  28. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    "W. Y." wrote:

    > Good idea, an interactive Lara. Wow, guess when we start a new game, we'd be
    > given chances right? Can't be dissed for not playing a new game well, can
    > we? Maybe change the level of difficulty as we progress. If missed a
    > trap/villian/whatever once, lower difficulty by a notch but if complete with
    > no misses, increase the level steadily. Thought they might have something
    > like that hardwired in the games. No? Ah... not so diligent, I guess.
    >
    > WY

    They could even have had a personality develop that crossed over
    to each new game. TR x, when installed, would look for TR x-1
    for a data file and personalize Lara somewhat in the subsequent
    game. It'd be like giving Lara a little bit of AI. :)

    If the programmers were left to their own devices--without any
    time pressure from the suits upstairs, I wonder what kind of things
    like this they might have come up with. However, based on AoL,
    just the opposite was true. Now that they've had a bit of a shock
    with AoL not being well received, I wonder how it will be with
    Crystal Dynamics.

    -- G

    > "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
    > > McGrandpa wrote:
    > >
    > >> I'm pro-life and I do NOT favor the death penalty.
    > >
    > > Many do.
    > >
    > >> Have you noted how forgiving Lara is? Every time you get her killed
    > >> (deliberatly or not) she's ready to go right back in there with ya every
    > >> time :)
    > >
    > > But whenever you start up the game (including a reset after killing
    > > Lara), it starts with a saved Lara--who didn't know about what you
    > > did to her in the last incarnation. :) She might feel differently
    > > about you if there wasn't a reset involved. ;)
    > >
    > > Actually, now that I think about it... that would be fun! They
    > > should build in some sort of memory for Lara so she *would* know
    > > what happened previously. If you keep making the same mistake or
    > > whatever, she'd start getting exasperated with you. I can just
    > > see it: You walk her up to a gap to jump--after a certain number
    > > of times--she suddenly whirls back to face the player and says
    > > something like: "Oh no, not *again*! Do you *enjoy* hearing my
    > > bones crunch or something? Now, *concentrate* this time!"
    > >
    > > Heh, that'd be oh so cool. :D
    > >
    > > -- G
  29. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    "Pistol Whipped" <pwhippedNoSpam@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
    > McGrandpa wrote:
    >> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
    >>

    > <snip>
    >>> I haven't verified this, but I've heard she'll survive any fall if
    >>> she lands in water, even shallow water. (It's a bug, or perhaps
    >>> more accurately: a programming oversight.)
    >>>
    >>> -- G
    >>

    >> Well, that's exactly what I wanted to see. Roof of the mansion, long
    >> fall, certain death unless there's water. The water, it's very
    >> shallow there, she wades thru it making splashing sounds. It's
    >> right at the cargo nets up the wood platform for the corner bug to
    >> get on the wall. Anyway, I haven't got her to land in the water from
    >> the roof yet :( so I don't know if that works for any depth water.
    >> And since it's in the training level, failure is a complete restart.
    >> Two or three times consumes enough time I tired of it.
    >> McG.
    >>

    > I'm pretty sure the water has to be at least deep enough to swim in. I
    > can distinctly remember killing her several times in the level I
    > built which only had knee deep water.

    You built a level? What level? Where is it? DING! that's a good
    idea! :)
    McG.
  30. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    > McGrandpa wrote:
    snip

    >> Isn't that right before the Drill Site, and before Luds Gate? that's
    >> where you actually enter that area I think.
    >> Gee, it's been a while!
    >> McG.
    >
    > It sure has been a while! :)
    >
    > The initial, direct approach will get you (Lara) killed. You have to
    > get there later on, by another path, (I forget now what it was).
    >
    > -- G
    That was *such* a nasty trap to build for us! You get that "so near
    yet so far" feeling when you see that door. It tempts, baits, lures one
    "damn, ONE more try, health is up, try that running dive this time!"
    *SPLAT*
    Probably the most insidiously designed trap/puzzle to the entire series.
    It looks SO do-able! SPLAT, every time. That damn train does not come
    until Lara commits to the run. It's something out of the Twilight Zone!
    Simple design. I well imagine that everyone that played TR3 without a
    guidebook got Lara killed at least once there. If she enters, she WILL
    die.
    Well, we've found my own "Gotcha!" trap/puzzle/way to kill Lara :o\
    After I gave up that one and found that real path and popped OUT of that
    door to get to that next one, I realized it was simply a well baited
    trap. And never felt more like a rat in a maze than then.
    You could call it a game writers practical joke I guess. On us. And
    out of ALL the TR games, that's the one that worked on everyone :(
    Sigh.... yeah, it's gonna take me a while to get there from the
    beginning....no, I'll find some savegames somewhere :) That'll make it
    a little easier :)
    McG.
  31. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    > McGrandpa wrote:
    >>
    >> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message

    >>> Many do.

    >>> But whenever you start up the game (including a reset after killing
    >>> Lara), it starts with a saved Lara--who didn't know about what you
    >>> did to her in the last incarnation. :) She might feel differently
    >>> about you if there wasn't a reset involved. ;)
    >>
    >> LOL! ok ok, you're right, ya got me there :)
    >>

    >>> Actually, now that I think about it... that would be fun! They
    >>> should build in some sort of memory for Lara so she *would* know
    >>> what happened previously. If you keep making the same mistake or
    >>> whatever, she'd start getting exasperated with you. I can just
    >>> see it: You walk her up to a gap to jump--after a certain number
    >>> of times--she suddenly whirls back to face the player and says
    >>> something like: "Oh no, not *again*! Do you *enjoy* hearing my
    >>> bones crunch or something? Now, *concentrate* this time!"
    >>>
    >>> Heh, that'd be oh so cool. :D
    >>>
    >>> -- G
    >>
    >> Yeah, it would! I can think of a lot of things that would change.
    >> Ha! Care to try a few?
    >
    > How about when you try to have her do a swan dive (or even just a
    > simple jump) from a high place into the ground... Instead of doing
    > it, she *slowly* turns and gives the player a dirty look and says
    > "*Surely* you jest!" :) Or... I very much disliked the very end of
    > TR 2, when Lara shoots the player; but in a case like this, that
    > would be forgivable.

    OH yes, THAT one :o\ We had quite a discussion over that issue.
    Matter of fact, I recall considering that ending an 'easter egg', but it
    isn't really. It's the ending. And a very tacky ending for some
    peoples tastes at that.

    > You know, I think something like this might qualify as an easter egg.
    > They could have done a lot of things like that. But I suppose they
    > were under too much time pressure for frills. :/

    I dunno, it could become sort of a signature component for the character
    (Lara) and if done well, would be a really wonderful part of the game.
    As it is, they did choose to leave "characterizing" to the player for
    the most part. You're given just so much info about the character of
    Lara thru background info and cutscenes. Nah, that ain't right, this
    WOULD work :o)) It'd be simple enough to add these little bits and bobs
    throughout the game and definitely keep with the character of Lara!
    It'd be fun :)
    McG.

    > -- G
    >
    >> River Ganges, or really anyplace you could drown her. Walks her up
    >> to the edge of the pool, Lara spins around, plants hands firmly on
    >> hips; "You DO plan to have me do a full swan dive to the LEFT this
    >> time, don't you?" with a glaring look.
    >> :)
    >> McG.
  32. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    > "W. Y." wrote:
    >>
    >> Good idea, an interactive Lara. Wow, guess when we start a new game,
    >> we'd be given chances right? Can't be dissed for not playing a new
    >> game well, can we? Maybe change the level of difficulty as we
    >> progress. If missed a trap/villian/whatever once, lower difficulty
    >> by a notch but if complete with no misses, increase the level
    >> steadily. Thought they might have something like that hardwired in
    >> the games. No? Ah... not so diligent, I guess.
    >>
    >> WY
    >
    > They could even have had a personality develop that crossed over
    > to each new game. TR x, when installed, would look for TR x-1
    > for a data file and personalize Lara somewhat in the subsequent
    > game. It'd be like giving Lara a little bit of AI. :)
    >
    > If the programmers were left to their own devices--without any
    > time pressure from the suits upstairs, I wonder what kind of things
    > like this they might have come up with. However, based on AoL,
    > just the opposite was true. Now that they've had a bit of a shock
    > with AoL not being well received, I wonder how it will be with
    > Crystal Dynamics.
    >
    > -- G

    Lots of us are wondering what the next TR will be like Gary. We have
    lots to wonder on. Toby Gard is in the fold. Granted, we don't know
    what his role is with this one. It could be the do-all end-all for the
    series. How fitting would that be? The original 'creator' of Lara
    works on the first, and the last... games. Opens the door, and closes
    it. Aw, that's just too fatalistic! Scratch that one :)
    McG.

    >> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message

    >>> Many do.

    >>> But whenever you start up the game (including a reset after killing
    >>> Lara), it starts with a saved Lara--who didn't know about what you
    >>> did to her in the last incarnation. :) She might feel differently
    >>> about you if there wasn't a reset involved. ;)
    >>>
    >>> Actually, now that I think about it... that would be fun! They
    >>> should build in some sort of memory for Lara so she *would* know
    >>> what happened previously. If you keep making the same mistake or
    >>> whatever, she'd start getting exasperated with you. I can just
    >>> see it: You walk her up to a gap to jump--after a certain number
    >>> of times--she suddenly whirls back to face the player and says
    >>> something like: "Oh no, not *again*! Do you *enjoy* hearing my
    >>> bones crunch or something? Now, *concentrate* this time!"
    >>>
    >>> Heh, that'd be oh so cool. :D
    >>>
    >>> -- G
  33. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    =>> The runes were cast, the portents thundered and then "W. Y."
    warbled on about "Fav Villian/Death in the TR series" in a.g.t <<=

    > In a bid to make this newsgroup alive again, I'm starting this thread to
    > find out your favourite villian and method of death (Lara or villian).

    Noted this thread devolved into a 'How To Kill Lara In A Number Of
    Amusing Ways' discussion PDQ. There was a site that catered for that
    particular fetish, but Kurt Grytdal's left WSU and his _The Many Deaths
    of Lara Croft_ site has gone with him.

    My fav *villain* death would have to be Bartoli at the end of the Tomb
    of Xian level in TR2. Not for the style or gruesomeness but for the
    straight out weird factor, re: Lara's reaction: I mean there she stands,
    having just slaughtered her way past all the giant spiders, goons,
    dinos, yetis, snow leopards, etc., but, upon seeing the head wop cut
    himself quite badly while shaving his chesthair off, she lets out a
    little girly gasp and covers her mouth with her hand... it's just a
    mite bit incongruous given all the carnage she's just been responsible
    for.

    --
    Hours spent gaming last week: 20 Online/Single player: 2
    Last game(s) finished: Beyond Good & Evil, RomeTW-Scipii

    McGrandpa wrote:

    > "Pistol Whipped" <pwhippedNoSpam@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
    <snip>

    >>I'm pretty sure the water has to be at least deep enough to swim in. I
    >>can distinctly remember killing her several times in the level I
    >>built which only had knee deep water.
    >

    > You built a level? What level? Where is it? DING! that's a good
    > idea! :)
    > McG.

    Oh, it was a first attempt level. In fact I did such a bad job planning
    it, I had to split it into two levels just to compile the thing. I was
    working on a third part to it, but just ran out of free time (promotion
    at work).

    --

    Pistol Whipped
  35. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    snark^ wrote:

    > =>> The runes were cast, the portents thundered and then "W. Y."
    > warbled on about "Fav Villian/Death in the TR series" in a.g.t <<=
    >

    >>In a bid to make this newsgroup alive again, I'm starting this thread to
    >>find out your favourite villian and method of death (Lara or villian).
    >

    > Noted this thread devolved into a 'How To Kill Lara In A Number Of
    > Amusing Ways' discussion PDQ. There was a site that catered for that
    > particular fetish, but Kurt Grytdal's left WSU and his _The Many Deaths
    > of Lara Croft_ site has gone with him.
    >
    > My fav *villain* death would have to be Bartoli at the end of the Tomb
    > of Xian level in TR2. Not for the style or gruesomeness but for the
    > straight out weird factor, re: Lara's reaction: I mean there she stands,
    > having just slaughtered her way past all the giant spiders, goons,
    > dinos, yetis, snow leopards, etc., but, upon seeing the head wop cut
    > himself quite badly while shaving his chesthair off, she lets out a
    > little girly gasp and covers her mouth with her hand... it's just a
    > mite bit incongruous given all the carnage she's just been responsible
    > for.

    I tend to think she's alright with someone or something *else* dying,
    but can't abide the notion of one killing oneself. Still very
    icongruous, but socially acceptable. ;)

    --

    Pistol Whipped
  36. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    McGrandpa wrote:

    > "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
    > > McGrandpa wrote:
    > snip
    > >
    > >> Isn't that right before the Drill Site, and before Luds Gate? that's
    > >> where you actually enter that area I think.
    > >> Gee, it's been a while!
    > >> McG.
    > >
    > > It sure has been a while! :)
    > >
    > > The initial, direct approach will get you (Lara) killed. You have to
    > > get there later on, by another path, (I forget now what it was).
    > >
    > > -- G
    > That was *such* a nasty trap to build for us! You get that "so near
    > yet so far" feeling when you see that door. It tempts, baits, lures one
    > "damn, ONE more try, health is up, try that running dive this time!"
    > *SPLAT*

    Yeah, that's the thing! It *seems* like a timed puzzle, doesn't
    it? That's what I thought at first, but it's just a death-trap.

    > Probably the most insidiously designed trap/puzzle to the entire series.
    > It looks SO do-able! SPLAT, every time. That damn train does not come
    > until Lara commits to the run. It's something out of the Twilight Zone!
    > Simple design. I well imagine that everyone that played TR3 without a
    > guidebook got Lara killed at least once there. If she enters, she WILL
    > die.
    > Well, we've found my own "Gotcha!" trap/puzzle/way to kill Lara :o\
    > After I gave up that one and found that real path and popped OUT of that
    > door to get to that next one, I realized it was simply a well baited
    > trap. And never felt more like a rat in a maze than then.
    > You could call it a game writers practical joke I guess. On us. And
    > out of ALL the TR games, that's the one that worked on everyone :(

    There are several places like that in the games... there's some
    other place you have to go first. But this one (and it's the only
    one I can think of) is not a simple case of just not being able to
    get there from here, you die trying... every time. :/

    At least I was able to decide early on that it was nothing more
    than a death trap. I didn't keep trying, there were other paths.
    And I guess that's the clue--there was another path to explore.

    -- G

    > Sigh.... yeah, it's gonna take me a while to get there from the
    > beginning....no, I'll find some savegames somewhere :) That'll make it
    > a little easier :)
    > McG.
  37. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    McGrandpa wrote:

    > "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
    > > McGrandpa wrote:
    > >>
    > >> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message

    > >> LOL! ok ok, you're right, ya got me there :)

    > >> Yeah, it would! I can think of a lot of things that would change.
    > >> Ha! Care to try a few?
    > >
    > > How about when you try to have her do a swan dive (or even just a
    > > simple jump) from a high place into the ground... Instead of doing
    > > it, she *slowly* turns and gives the player a dirty look and says
    > > "*Surely* you jest!" :) Or... I very much disliked the very end of
    > > TR 2, when Lara shoots the player; but in a case like this, that
    > > would be forgivable.
    >
    > OH yes, THAT one :o\ We had quite a discussion over that issue.
    > Matter of fact, I recall considering that ending an 'easter egg', but it
    > isn't really. It's the ending. And a very tacky ending for some
    > peoples tastes at that.
    >

    > > You know, I think something like this might qualify as an easter egg.
    > > They could have done a lot of things like that. But I suppose they
    > > were under too much time pressure for frills. :/
    >
    > I dunno, it could become sort of a signature component for the character
    > (Lara) and if done well, would be a really wonderful part of the game.
    > As it is, they did choose to leave "characterizing" to the player for
    > the most part. You're given just so much info about the character of
    > Lara thru background info and cutscenes. Nah, that ain't right, this
    > WOULD work :o)) It'd be simple enough to add these little bits and bobs
    > throughout the game and definitely keep with the character of Lara!
    > It'd be fun :)
    > McG.

    Yes, agreed. However, look what we found out about AoD... the game
    isn't even finished. This is why I said they probably didn't have
    time to put in extra things like this. Still, it sure would have
    added substance to the game... and to Lara.

    -- G
  38. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    McGrandpa wrote:

    > "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
    > > "W. Y." wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Good idea, an interactive Lara. Wow, guess when we start a new game,
    > >> we'd be given chances right? Can't be dissed for not playing a new
    > >> game well, can we? Maybe change the level of difficulty as we
    > >> progress. If missed a trap/villian/whatever once, lower difficulty
    > >> by a notch but if complete with no misses, increase the level
    > >> steadily. Thought they might have something like that hardwired in
    > >> the games. No? Ah... not so diligent, I guess.
    > >>
    > >> WY
    > >
    > > They could even have had a personality develop that crossed over
    > > to each new game. TR x, when installed, would look for TR x-1
    > > for a data file and personalize Lara somewhat in the subsequent
    > > game. It'd be like giving Lara a little bit of AI. :)
    > >
    > > If the programmers were left to their own devices--without any
    > > time pressure from the suits upstairs, I wonder what kind of things
    > > like this they might have come up with. However, based on AoL,

    AoL?! Pah! brain fart. :/

    > > just the opposite was true. Now that they've had a bit of a shock
    > > with AoL not being well received, I wonder how it will be with

    Geese! I did it again! :|

    > > Crystal Dynamics.
    > >
    > > -- G
    >
    > Lots of us are wondering what the next TR will be like Gary. We have
    > lots to wonder on. Toby Gard is in the fold. Granted, we don't know
    > what his role is with this one. It could be the do-all end-all for the
    > series. How fitting would that be? The original 'creator' of Lara
    > works on the first, and the last... games. Opens the door, and closes
    > it. Aw, that's just too fatalistic! Scratch that one :)
    > McG.

    Naw, I think you're being too pessimistic. I don't think they brought
    Gard in to end the series. If they can manage to keep pumping out good
    games, and we keep buying enough so they earn a nice profit (especially
    if it makes big wads of cash), why would they stop?

    This is a business, they'd only quit if they became convinced they'd
    make more money with those resources put elsewhere. And even then,
    there's much to be said for a product that consistently brings in a
    profit, especially in the gaming industry. It's not often they come
    up with a game that has a substantial following. Lara is one of the
    most recognized game characters--that's worth something just by itself.
    Look how many games there are now with strong, warrior-like, scantily
    clad female protagonists. I wonder where that came from. ;)

    I think the ol' gal has a lot of life left in her. It just depends
    on how well Crystal Dynamics does. Hopefully, Gard will help put in
    some of what made TR 1 popular. OTOH, I understand Gard's last
    creation wasn't so popular, so... who knows.

    -- G
  39. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    snark^ wrote:

    > =>> The runes were cast, the portents thundered and then "W. Y."
    > warbled on about "Fav Villian/Death in the TR series" in a.g.t <<=
    >
    > > In a bid to make this newsgroup alive again, I'm starting this thread to
    > > find out your favourite villian and method of death (Lara or villian).
    >
    > Noted this thread devolved into a 'How To Kill Lara In A Number Of
    > Amusing Ways' discussion PDQ. There was a site that catered for that
    > particular fetish, but Kurt Grytdal's left WSU and his _The Many Deaths
    > of Lara Croft_ site has gone with him.
    >
    > My fav *villain* death would have to be Bartoli at the end of the Tomb
    > of Xian level in TR2. Not for the style or gruesomeness but for the
    > straight out weird factor, re: Lara's reaction: I mean there she stands,
    > having just slaughtered her way past all the giant spiders, goons,
    > dinos, yetis, snow leopards, etc., but, upon seeing the head wop cut
    > himself quite badly while shaving his chesthair off, she lets out a
    > little girly gasp and covers her mouth with her hand... it's just a
    > mite bit incongruous given all the carnage she's just been responsible
    > for.

    Agreed!

    On the one hand, I was very glad they showed a human side to Lara.
    Those are too few and far between, IMO. But on the other hand, as
    you say... there was an awful lot of blood dripping from the hypocrite's
    fingers as she covered her mouth in that gasp, wasn't there. :/

    -- G
  40. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    > McGrandpa wrote:
    >>
    >> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
    >>> McGrandpa wrote:
    >> snip

    >>> It sure has been a while! :)
    >>>
    >>> The initial, direct approach will get you (Lara) killed. You have
    >>> to get there later on, by another path, (I forget now what it was).
    >>>
    >>> -- G
    >> That was *such* a nasty trap to build for us! You get that "so near
    >> yet so far" feeling when you see that door. It tempts, baits, lures
    >> one "damn, ONE more try, health is up, try that running dive this
    >> time!" *SPLAT*
    >
    > Yeah, that's the thing! It *seems* like a timed puzzle, doesn't
    > it? That's what I thought at first, but it's just a death-trap.
    >
    >> Probably the most insidiously designed trap/puzzle to the entire
    >> series. It looks SO do-able! SPLAT, every time. That damn train
    >> does not come until Lara commits to the run. It's something out of
    >> the Twilight Zone! Simple design. I well imagine that everyone that
    >> played TR3 without a guidebook got Lara killed at least once there.
    >> If she enters, she WILL die.
    >> Well, we've found my own "Gotcha!" trap/puzzle/way to kill Lara :o\
    >> After I gave up that one and found that real path and popped OUT of
    >> that door to get to that next one, I realized it was simply a well
    >> baited trap. And never felt more like a rat in a maze than then.
    >> You could call it a game writers practical joke I guess. On us. And
    >> out of ALL the TR games, that's the one that worked on everyone :(
    >
    > There are several places like that in the games... there's some
    > other place you have to go first. But this one (and it's the only
    > one I can think of) is not a simple case of just not being able to
    > get there from here, you die trying... every time. :/

    Oh yes, just none as vividly imprinted as this one! Hm. I can recall
    a couple that used items in sight as bait. Surely those ARE doable?
    Like in TR2, in one of the very first parts, there is a Secret Dragon I
    always miss. There are spiked squares and flames in it ..... and the
    dragon in the midst. Probably, its the very first one at that. I'll
    have to replay that one, I've never gotten all the secrets (dragon
    statuettes) in that game :(

    > At least I was able to decide early on that it was nothing more
    > than a death trap. I didn't keep trying, there were other paths.
    > And I guess that's the clue--there was another path to explore.

    I recall that's why I did finally give it up. There WAS another path.
    I left with the thought "if it looks too good to be true....it probably
    is..."
    McG.

    > -- G
    >
    >> Sigh.... yeah, it's gonna take me a while to get there from the
    >> beginning....no, I'll find some savegames somewhere :) That'll make
    >> it a little easier :)
    >> McG.
  41. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    > McGrandpa wrote:
    >>
    >> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message

    >>> How about when you try to have her do a swan dive (or even just a
    >>> simple jump) from a high place into the ground... Instead of doing
    >>> it, she *slowly* turns and gives the player a dirty look and says
    >>> "*Surely* you jest!" :) Or... I very much disliked the very end of
    >>> TR 2, when Lara shoots the player; but in a case like this, that
    >>> would be forgivable.
    >>
    >> OH yes, THAT one :o\ We had quite a discussion over that issue.
    >> Matter of fact, I recall considering that ending an 'easter egg',
    >> but it isn't really. It's the ending. And a very tacky ending for
    >> some peoples tastes at that.
    >>

    >>> You know, I think something like this might qualify as an easter
    >>> egg. They could have done a lot of things like that. But I suppose
    >>> they were under too much time pressure for frills. :/
    >>
    >> I dunno, it could become sort of a signature component for the
    >> character (Lara) and if done well, would be a really wonderful part
    >> of the game. As it is, they did choose to leave "characterizing" to
    >> the player for the most part. You're given just so much info about
    >> the character of Lara thru background info and cutscenes. Nah, that
    >> ain't right, this WOULD work :o)) It'd be simple enough to add
    >> these little bits and bobs throughout the game and definitely keep
    >> with the character of Lara! It'd be fun :)
    >> McG.
    >
    > Yes, agreed. However, look what we found out about AoD... the game
    > isn't even finished. This is why I said they probably didn't have
    > time to put in extra things like this. Still, it sure would have
    > added substance to the game... and to Lara.
    >
    > -- G

    Yep. I am still grumbling about AoD being so imcomplete. Grrrrr!
    Wonder what kind of tradeoffs we'll have to contend with, Crystal
    Dynamics developing the 7th one? Comic book graphics? Ugh.
    Looks like it will be a while before we see....
    McG.
  42. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    > McGrandpa wrote:
    >>
    >> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message

    >>> They could even have had a personality develop that crossed over
    >>> to each new game. TR x, when installed, would look for TR x-1
    >>> for a data file and personalize Lara somewhat in the subsequent
    >>> game. It'd be like giving Lara a little bit of AI. :)
    >>>
    >>> If the programmers were left to their own devices--without any
    >>> time pressure from the suits upstairs, I wonder what kind of things
    >>> like this they might have come up with. However, based on AoL,
    >
    > AoL?! Pah! brain fart. :/
    >
    >>> just the opposite was true. Now that they've had a bit of a shock
    >>> with AoL not being well received, I wonder how it will be with
    >
    > Geese! I did it again! :|

    had your coffee yet? ;)

    >>> Crystal Dynamics.
    >>>
    >>> -- G
    >>
    >> Lots of us are wondering what the next TR will be like Gary. We have
    >> lots to wonder on. Toby Gard is in the fold. Granted, we don't know
    >> what his role is with this one. It could be the do-all end-all for
    >> the series. How fitting would that be? The original 'creator' of
    >> Lara works on the first, and the last... games. Opens the door, and
    >> closes it. Aw, that's just too fatalistic! Scratch that one :)
    >> McG.
    >
    > Naw, I think you're being too pessimistic. I don't think they brought
    > Gard in to end the series. If they can manage to keep pumping out
    > good games, and we keep buying enough so they earn a nice profit
    > (especially if it makes big wads of cash), why would they stop?
    >
    > This is a business, they'd only quit if they became convinced they'd
    > make more money with those resources put elsewhere. And even then,
    > there's much to be said for a product that consistently brings in a
    > profit, especially in the gaming industry. It's not often they come
    > up with a game that has a substantial following. Lara is one of the
    > most recognized game characters--that's worth something just by
    > itself. Look how many games there are now with strong, warrior-like,
    > scantily clad female protagonists. I wonder where that came from. ;)
    >
    > I think the ol' gal has a lot of life left in her. It just depends
    > on how well Crystal Dynamics does. Hopefully, Gard will help put in
    > some of what made TR 1 popular. OTOH, I understand Gard's last
    > creation wasn't so popular, so... who knows.
    >
    > -- G

    That's why I ended with "scratch that" {thought}... while it cropping up
    to the 'signs', it still isn't realistic because of the business aspect.
    Lara may well go through many changes. Like becoming a "Top Cow" type
    comic character on-screen. That comic already has a zealous following
    with Lara and Witchblade. But I HOPE CD will continue in the same
    graphics vein as AoD, which were very good. But with better controls
    and a complete game :) The TR series also featured some of the best
    audio in the field. I sure hope THAT continues too!
    Galleon was way too old by the time it was released, and there is no PC
    version of it. We have had one lady in here that really liked it. But
    it was for a console only. One console.
    I'd love to have a preview about now. :o))
    McG.
  43. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    > McGrandpa wrote:
    >
    >> "Pistol Whipped" <pwhippedNoSpam@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
    > <snip>
    >>>
    >>> I'm pretty sure the water has to be at least deep enough to swim
    >>> in. I can distinctly remember killing her several times in the
    >>> level I built which only had knee deep water.
    >>

    >> You built a level? What level? Where is it? DING! that's a good
    >> idea! :)
    >> McG.
    >>

    > Oh, it was a first attempt level. In fact I did such a bad job
    > planning it, I had to split it into two levels just to compile the
    > thing. I was working on a third part to it, but just ran out of free
    > time (promotion at work).

    Can we get and play the working 2 parts?

    thats the problem with RL, isn't it? ;)
    McG.
  44. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    McGrandpa wrote:

    > Like in TR2, in one of the very first parts, there is a Secret Dragon I
    > always miss. There are spiked squares and flames in it ..... and the
    > dragon in the midst. Probably, its the very first one at that. I'll
    > have to replay that one, I've never gotten all the secrets (dragon
    > statuettes) in that game :(

    That's the second dragon in the game, and it is doable - just. There is
    absolutely no leeway in the timing. I think it took me 20-30 attempts to
    get it. At least it wasn't as many as the flame pillars in Palace Midas.

    Mark.

    PS Spoiler space
    The first dragon is in the first area, just after you kill the tigers
    right at the beginning of the game. When you climb up, look behind you
    and there is a ledge at the same level. Follow that and the dragon is
    there just waiting to be picked up.
  45. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    "Paul E Kiefer Jr" <pkieferjr@aol.com> wrote in message
    > In article <4184BEF1.9A78EB53@ix.nospam.netcom.com>, Gary Mitchell
    > <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> writes:
    >
    >> It seems like they have a trigger there, so if you go down the
    >> track, you'll get it. No matter what.
    >>
    >> -- G
    >
    > There wasn't supposed to be any extra path there. It's
    > "out-of-bounds". Remember Unfinished Business, where you got to play
    > around in the desert sand for a while...up to a point where Lara
    > suddenly collapses and you hear a sizzle as if she got fried?
    >
    > It's that type of "out-of-bounds"...the kind that kills.
    >
    > In the case of TR3, it's an oncoming train that you can't avoid.

    but it NEVER comes until she enters the tunnel!!!! That's by design.
    McG.
  46. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    "Liability Grimwood" <spamtrapmdg@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > McGrandpa wrote:
    >
    >> Like in TR2, in one of the very first parts, there is a Secret
    >> Dragon I always miss. There are spiked squares and flames in it
    >> ..... and the dragon in the midst. Probably, its the very first one
    >> at that. I'll have to replay that one, I've never gotten all the
    >> secrets (dragon statuettes) in that game :(
    >
    > That's the second dragon in the game, and it is doable - just. There
    > is absolutely no leeway in the timing. I think it took me 20-30
    > attempts to get it. At least it wasn't as many as the flame pillars
    > in Palace Midas.
    >
    > Mark.
    >
    > PS Spoiler space
    > The first dragon is in the first area, just after you kill the tigers
    > right at the beginning of the game. When you climb up, look behind you
    > and there is a ledge at the same level. Follow that and the dragon is
    > there just waiting to be picked up.

    Ok. Hey, after all these years I'll take the spoiler! :)
    McG. <thanks!>
  47. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    McGrandpa wrote:
    > "Pistol Whipped" <pwhippedNoSpam@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>McGrandpa wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Pistol Whipped" <pwhippedNoSpam@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >><snip>

    >>>You built a level? What level? Where is it? DING! that's a good
    >>>idea! :)
    >>>McG.
    >>>

    >>Oh, it was a first attempt level. In fact I did such a bad job
    >>planning it, I had to split it into two levels just to compile the
    >>thing. I was working on a third part to it, but just ran out of free
    >>time (promotion at work).
    >

    > Can we get and play the working 2 parts?
    >
    > thats the problem with RL, isn't it? ;)
    > McG.

    I'll have to tweak them a bit and recompile, but I'll see what I can do.

    --

    Pistol Whipped
  48. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    In article <76Uhd.52513$EI6.32486@fe2.texas.rr.com>, "McGrandpa"
    <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> writes:

    >> It's that type of "out-of-bounds"...the kind that kills.
    >>
    >> In the case of TR3, it's an oncoming train that you can't avoid.
    >
    >but it NEVER comes until she enters the tunnel!!!! That's by design.

    Never said it wasn't.
  49. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    Paul E Kiefer Jr wrote:

    > In article <4184BEF1.9A78EB53@ix.nospam.netcom.com>, Gary Mitchell
    > <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> writes:
    >
    > >It seems like they have a trigger there, so if you go down the
    > >track, you'll get it. No matter what.
    > >
    > > -- G
    >
    > There wasn't supposed to be any extra path there. It's "out-of-bounds".
    > Remember Unfinished Business, where you got to play around in the desert sand
    > for a while...up to a point where Lara suddenly collapses and you hear a sizzle
    > as if she got fried?
    >
    > It's that type of "out-of-bounds"...the kind that kills.
    >
    > In the case of TR3, it's an oncoming train that you can't avoid.

    Yes, but in TR UB, you have to use a trick to get back to those
    deadly sands. It's not a complete waste of time, you can get a
    couple of goodies, but there's no other path back there, you have
    to come on back.

    In the case of the train, you just *walk* right on in. Plus,
    there *is* a passage back there. You can't get to it from the
    train track, but you do eventually get back there--as part of
    the normal path of the game. I wouldn't exactly call that "out
    of bounds."

    -- G

Newsgroup Games Video Games