Favourite Villian/Death in the TR series

In a bid to make this newsgroup alive again, I'm starting this thread to
find out your favourite villian and method of death (Lara or villian).

One way I like making Lara die (after saving the game, of course) is to
stand on high ground (more than a box high) and do a swan dive to crack her
skull. Ghastly death expected but it's not so gruesome as on the screen.
*evil cackles* For new players (where have you been?!): The swan dive is
best executed in the opening scenes of the Opera House in TR2, after getting
rid of the henchman below the swinging box. There are many other ways to
kill Lara/get Lara killed but none as satisfying as this cos you get to kill
her yourself. *hyak hyak* Exploding Lara is good too but too troublesome to
execute. But still, fun if you're into this sort of thing. *heh heh*

One memorable villian is that big glop of a mutant in the last level of TR1.
Easy to kill once you know the trick but it was the way he/it/(or maybe,
she) kills Lara that is more interesting. Push over the ledge or slam after
grabbing Lara. Now that's more like it.

Hmmm... I just realised that killing Lara makes the game fun! *more evil
cackling echoes in the room*

--
WY

Why are we here? Perhaps we were put here to protect the other animals.
- Animal Planet

Razor

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004

Even more gruesome in AOD: When Lara dies from a fall, her body keeps moving
and flopping like her bones are all smashed.

For the reason being that it was the first TR boss to make me really get
annoyed, killing Boaz gave me the most satisfaction.
I also like the exploding mutants in TR1.

"W. Y." <yeomy@BLAHBLAHBLAH.singnet.com.sg> wrote in message news:<clk9g9$hj6$1@mawar.singnet.com.sg>...
> In a bid to make this newsgroup alive again, I'm starting this thread to
> find out your favourite villian and method of death (Lara or villian).

Death by Yeti in TR2 is fun, she gets picked up and shaken and thrown
down, I think the dinosaurs do this to her as well!

That guy in TR - Chronicles when he falls into the pit is pretty
funny.

Also like when you make Lara stand on the midas hand in TR1. *clang*

W. Y. wrote:
> In a bid to make this newsgroup alive again, I'm starting this thread to
> find out your favourite villian and method of death (Lara or villian).
>
> One way I like making Lara die (after saving the game, of course) is to
> stand on high ground (more than a box high) and do a swan dive to crack her
> skull. Ghastly death expected but it's not so gruesome as on the screen.
> *evil cackles* For new players (where have you been?!): The swan dive is
> best executed in the opening scenes of the Opera House in TR2, after getting
> rid of the henchman below the swinging box. There are many other ways to
> kill Lara/get Lara killed but none as satisfying as this cos you get to kill
> her yourself. *hyak hyak* Exploding Lara is good too but too troublesome to
> execute. But still, fun if you're into this sort of thing. *heh heh*
>
> One memorable villian is that big glop of a mutant in the last level of TR1.
> Easy to kill once you know the trick but it was the way he/it/(or maybe,
> she) kills Lara that is more interesting. Push over the ledge or slam after
> grabbing Lara. Now that's more like it.
>
> Hmmm... I just realised that killing Lara makes the game fun! *more evil
> cackling echoes in the room*

I *LOVE* that giant atlantean mutant! For one of the most gruesome
deaths I would say that it was between that and the "Yeti Death"
(sometimes I still cringe). But my favourite way of killing Lara is
diving off the platform in the Great Pyramid battle with the mutant.
It's an ace way of escaping if you stuff it up and have no chance of
winning ;).

For the best villian I would say Willard. Who would have thought that
the soup-eating scotsman would turn into that evil beast of a spider!!

Caevyan.

Oh yes, turning Lara into gold is cool too. I did that repeatedly too!

WY

"Stormstruck" <stormstruck_@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "W. Y." <yeomy@BLAHBLAHBLAH.singnet.com.sg> wrote in message
>> In a bid to make this newsgroup alive again, I'm starting this thread to
>> find out your favourite villian and method of death (Lara or villian).
>>

> Death by Yeti in TR2 is fun, she gets picked up and shaken and thrown
> down, I think the dinosaurs do this to her as well!
>
> That guy in TR - Chronicles when he falls into the pit is pretty
> funny.
>
> Also like when you make Lara stand on the midas hand in TR1. *clang*

"Stormstruck" <stormstruck_@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "W. Y." <yeomy@BLAHBLAHBLAH.singnet.com.sg> wrote in message
>> In a bid to make this newsgroup alive again, I'm starting this
>> thread to find out your favourite villian and method of death (Lara
>> or villian).
>>

> Death by Yeti in TR2 is fun, she gets picked up and shaken and thrown
> down, I think the dinosaurs do this to her as well!
>
> That guy in TR - Chronicles when he falls into the pit is pretty
> funny.
>
> Also like when you make Lara stand on the midas hand in TR1. *clang*

Yaknow, that was just so *sudden*, that awful metallic sound, then all
is quiet and your senses catch up to the moment and you're not trying to
keep moving her and you realize it's...
GAME OVER! ;o) With the mini-flyby to show her off a bit.... Thors
Hammer was another one like that. "Oh, hm...what's this square do?
[jumps on, up and down a bit] Ha! nuthin! **BLAM!** HUH?!?!
WhaHoppen?!? <GAME OVER> :eek:)) Oh NO I wanna SEE! What the heck
happened?!? <mini flyby> Oh !
McG.

Razor

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004

"Caevyan" <caevyan@removethisbit.yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

> For the best villian I would say Willard. Who would have thought that the
> soup-eating scotsman would turn into that evil beast of a spider!!
>
> Caevyan.

Surely that have been preceded with a spoiler alert. Now you've ruined the
game for some. ;-)

dani

> Oh yes, turning Lara into gold is cool too. I did that repeatedly too!
>
> WY

Oh my lord! My kids always bugged me - turn her into gold, Mama. Gold! LOL

Dani

Pistol Whipped wrote:

> W. Y. wrote:
> > In a bid to make this newsgroup alive again, I'm starting this thread to
> > find out your favourite villian and method of death (Lara or villian).
> >
> <snip>
> >
> > Hmmm... I just realised that killing Lara makes the game fun! *more evil
> > cackling echoes in the room*
> >

> Let's see. Hmmmmm
>
> Favorite way to kill Lara:

Hmmm... interesting. WY asks about interesting ways to kill
Lara *or* a villain, and we translate that into killing Lara. ;)

Well, here's one for killing villains: the skeletons in TR 4
who run around randomly until they fall off a cliff once their
heads get shot off.

Here's a thought... I wonder how many of those who like killing
Lara get upset at nude Lara's or have a short fuse toward the
occasional person who pops in here asking about nude raider.

I suspect it's many of the same people. (I find that fascinating,
it's almost like the militant "pro-life" people who favor the death
penalty.)

-- G

"Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
> Pistol Whipped wrote:
>>
>> W. Y. wrote:
>>> In a bid to make this newsgroup alive again, I'm starting this
>>> thread to find out your favourite villian and method of death (Lara
>>> or villian).
>>>
>> <snip>
>>>
>>> Hmmm... I just realised that killing Lara makes the game fun! *more
>>> evil cackling echoes in the room*
>>>

>> Let's see. Hmmmmm
>>
>> Favorite way to kill Lara:
>
> Hmmm... interesting. WY asks about interesting ways to kill
> Lara *or* a villain, and we translate that into killing Lara. ;)
>
> Well, here's one for killing villains: the skeletons in TR 4
> who run around randomly until they fall off a cliff once their
> heads get shot off.
>
> Here's a thought... I wonder how many of those who like killing
> Lara get upset at nude Lara's or have a short fuse toward the
> occasional person who pops in here asking about nude raider.
>
> I suspect it's many of the same people. (I find that fascinating,
> it's almost like the militant "pro-life" people who favor the death
> penalty.)
>
> -- G

I'm pro-life and I do NOT favor the death penalty.

Have you noted how forgiving Lara is? Every time you get her killed
(deliberatly or not) she's ready to go right back in there with ya every
time :)
McG.

It's more interesting I guess since all the time we're asking how to get rid
of a villian rather than Lara herself.

It's more like most didn't talk about fave villian but that's fine since we
now know how demented we TR players are. :)

As for the nudes, I just ignore and delete them whenever they appear. Don't
even want to reply those. I don't understand what's so fascinating about a
nude CGI. Men/Boys... *shakes head* ;)

WY

> It's more interesting I guess since all the time we're asking how to
> get rid of a villian rather than Lara herself.
>
> It's more like most didn't talk about fave villian but that's fine
> since we now know how demented we TR players are. :)
>
> As for the nudes, I just ignore and delete them whenever they appear.
> Don't even want to reply those. I don't understand what's so
> fascinating about a nude CGI. Men/Boys... *shakes head* ;)
>
> WY

When I first got AoD, and we (in here) were talking about all sorts of
AoD stuff, including the New Lara; I wondered when the clamoring for
the Nude AoD patch would start. Seeing as it's a more realistic Lara
model with jiggles to boot :eek:\ Yeah we discussed THAT part too, like it
was important or something. Me, I figured it was a waste of compute
cycles and completely unnecessary for the game. But getting into the
game itself, I don't even notice.
One thing I do still notice: the Lara animations are excellent. If
there is a TR7, I hope their animators do as good a job as Cores always
did!
McG.

> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
>> Pistol Whipped wrote:

>>> <snip>

>>> Let's see. Hmmmmm
>>>
>>> Favorite way to kill Lara:
>>
>> Hmmm... interesting. WY asks about interesting ways to kill
>> Lara *or* a villain, and we translate that into killing Lara. ;)
>>
>> Well, here's one for killing villains: the skeletons in TR 4
>> who run around randomly until they fall off a cliff once their
>> heads get shot off.
>>
>> Here's a thought... I wonder how many of those who like killing
>> Lara get upset at nude Lara's or have a short fuse toward the
>> occasional person who pops in here asking about nude raider.
>>
>> I suspect it's many of the same people. (I find that fascinating,
>> it's almost like the militant "pro-life" people who favor the death
>> penalty.)
>>
>> -- G

dani

> Bugs Bunny wrote:
> >
> > "Dani" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> > But come on.....................is there no one out there who didn't
like
> > killing Lara?
>
> Well, I'm one who doesn't like killing Lara.
>
> I admit some of the animations are good and are worth seeing (the
> best of which is the Midas hand where she gets turned to gold).
> But aside from that, I don't see the appeal. In my mind, it's a
> failure on your part if you get her killed--you lose! And losing
> isn't exactly way up there on my list of fun things to do. :)
>
> Also, Lara is our heroine. Just as in a book or movie, we're
> supposed to care something about the protagonist. Again, aside
> from however good the animations may be, I don't see why is it's
> fun to see our lovely Lara get killed. The only thing I can think
> of is it might have something to do with the psychology of "getting
> back" at the programmers/Lara for some of the frustrations in the
> game, or perhaps some kind of "ultimate control" issues. (No
> disparagement intended toward anyone.)

EXACTLY! I killed her out of frustration. She's still my hero(ine). But she
ain't real... ; )

Dani

dani

> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
> > Pistol Whipped wrote:

> >> <snip>

> >> Let's see. Hmmmmm
> >>
> >> Favorite way to kill Lara:
> >
> > Hmmm... interesting. WY asks about interesting ways to kill
> > Lara *or* a villain, and we translate that into killing Lara. ;)
> >
> > Well, here's one for killing villains: the skeletons in TR 4
> > who run around randomly until they fall off a cliff once their
> > heads get shot off.
> >
> > Here's a thought... I wonder how many of those who like killing
> > Lara get upset at nude Lara's or have a short fuse toward the
> > occasional person who pops in here asking about nude raider.
> >
> > I suspect it's many of the same people. (I find that fascinating,
> > it's almost like the militant "pro-life" people who favor the death
> > penalty.)
> >
> > -- G
>
> I'm pro-life and I do NOT favor the death penalty.
>
> Have you noted how forgiving Lara is? Every time you get her killed
> (deliberatly or not) she's ready to go right back in there with ya every
> time :)
> McG.

Here's to Lara playing a game with me as the character - laughing madly as
she makes me do the hand-stand of death into a beautiful swan dive off of a
building...

*now to get my fat ass up to specs, lmao *

; )

Dani

Dani wrote:

> > "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message

> > > Hmmm... interesting. WY asks about interesting ways to kill
> > > Lara *or* a villain, and we translate that into killing Lara. ;)
> > >
> > > Well, here's one for killing villains: the skeletons in TR 4
> > > who run around randomly until they fall off a cliff once their
> > > heads get shot off.
> > >
> > > Here's a thought... I wonder how many of those who like killing
> > > Lara get upset at nude Lara's or have a short fuse toward the
> > > occasional person who pops in here asking about nude raider.
> > >
> > > I suspect it's many of the same people. (I find that fascinating,
> > > it's almost like the militant "pro-life" people who favor the death
> > > penalty.)
> > >
> > > -- G
> >
> > I'm pro-life and I do NOT favor the death penalty.
> >
> > Have you noted how forgiving Lara is? Every time you get her killed
> > (deliberatly or not) she's ready to go right back in there with ya every
> > time :)
> > McG.
> >

> Here's to Lara playing a game with me as the character - laughing madly as
> she makes me do the hand-stand of death into a beautiful swan dive off of a
> building...
>
> *now to get my fat ass up to specs, lmao *
>
> ; )
>
> Dani

I still say that my favorite ( simply because it was so sudden and
painfully dramatic - no to mention had its own MUSIC! ) was her being
hit by the subway trains in TR3...or was it TR3 - The Lost Artifact? <
brain fart mode >

--
rolobeastie@earthlink.net
Never saw it coming!

>> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message

>>> Hmmm... interesting. WY asks about interesting ways to kill
>>> Lara *or* a villain, and we translate that into killing Lara. ;)
>>>
>>> Well, here's one for killing villains: the skeletons in TR 4
>>> who run around randomly until they fall off a cliff once their
>>> heads get shot off.
>>>
>>> Here's a thought... I wonder how many of those who like killing
>>> Lara get upset at nude Lara's or have a short fuse toward the
>>> occasional person who pops in here asking about nude raider.
>>>
>>> I suspect it's many of the same people. (I find that fascinating,
>>> it's almost like the militant "pro-life" people who favor the death
>>> penalty.)
>>>
>>> -- G
>>
>> I'm pro-life and I do NOT favor the death penalty.
>>
>> Have you noted how forgiving Lara is? Every time you get her killed
>> (deliberatly or not) she's ready to go right back in there with ya
>> every time :)
>> McG.
>>

> Here's to Lara playing a game with me as the character - laughing
> madly as she makes me do the hand-stand of death into a beautiful
> swan dive off of a building...
>
> *now to get my fat ass up to specs, lmao *
>
> ; )
>
> Dani

HA! I'll be in the bleachers for that one Dani! :eek:)
McG.

"Gordian Slash" <rolobeastie@earthspamlink.com> wrote in message
> Dani wrote:
>>
>> "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message

>>> I'm pro-life and I do NOT favor the death penalty.
>>>
>>> Have you noted how forgiving Lara is? Every time you get her killed
>>> (deliberatly or not) she's ready to go right back in there with ya
>>> every time :)
>>> McG.
>>>

>> Here's to Lara playing a game with me as the character - laughing
>> madly as she makes me do the hand-stand of death into a beautiful
>> swan dive off of a building...
>>
>> *now to get my fat ass up to specs, lmao *
>>
>> ; )
>>
>> Dani
>
> I still say that my favorite ( simply because it was so sudden and
> painfully dramatic - no to mention had its own MUSIC! ) was her being
> hit by the subway trains in TR3...or was it TR3 - The Lost Artifact? <
> brain fart mode >

That would be TR3, Subway. Yeah, that's one that had me looking at the
screen with a blank look the first time.

Matrix: Revolutions, the scene where Neo runs down the tube one
way....and a minute later exits that tube into the stop where he
started.... that TR3 scene immediately came to mind.
McG.

McGrandpa wrote:

> I'm pro-life and I do NOT favor the death penalty.

Many do.

> Have you noted how forgiving Lara is? Every time you get her killed
> (deliberatly or not) she's ready to go right back in there with ya every
> time :)

But whenever you start up the game (including a reset after killing
Lara), it starts with a saved Lara--who didn't know about what you
did to her in the last incarnation. :) She might feel differently
about you if there wasn't a reset involved. ;)

Actually, now that I think about it... that would be fun! They
should build in some sort of memory for Lara so she *would* know
what happened previously. If you keep making the same mistake or
whatever, she'd start getting exasperated with you. I can just
see it: You walk her up to a gap to jump--after a certain number
of times--she suddenly whirls back to face the player and says
something like: "Oh no, not *again*! Do you *enjoy* hearing my
bones crunch or something? Now, *concentrate* this time!"

Heh, that'd be oh so cool. :D

-- G

Gordian Slash wrote:

> Dani wrote:
> >
> > "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message

> > > I'm pro-life and I do NOT favor the death penalty.
> > >
> > > Have you noted how forgiving Lara is? Every time you get her killed
> > > (deliberatly or not) she's ready to go right back in there with ya every
> > > time :)
> > > McG.
> > >

> > Here's to Lara playing a game with me as the character - laughing madly as
> > she makes me do the hand-stand of death into a beautiful swan dive off of a
> > building...
> >
> > *now to get my fat ass up to specs, lmao *
> >
> > ; )
> >
> > Dani
>
> I still say that my favorite ( simply because it was so sudden and
> painfully dramatic - no to mention had its own MUSIC! ) was her being
> hit by the subway trains in TR3...or was it TR3 - The Lost Artifact? <
> brain fart mode >
>
> --
> rolobeastie@earthlink.net
> Never saw it coming!

I sure saw that coming, and that makes it worse somehow. :( I
took my time in that area. There's a train track, of *course*
there'd be a train! How could the programmers overlook a very
obvious way of killing Lara like *that*? And, sure enough...

It looked like there was another passage up the tunnel. I
figured I'd wait for a train to pass by, *then* run to the
passage. I waited... and waited... and lollygagged around...
no train. Not even a sound of a train coming. So, I finally
had Lara sprint to the passage, but nope, never made it. :/
You can hear the train coming, but there wasn't enough time to
make it to the passage nor run back... oh no--splat--*Damn*!
I *knew* it. <slaps forehead> humph :|

It seems like they have a trigger there, so if you go down the
track, you'll get it. No matter what.

-- G

Dani wrote:

> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
> > Bugs Bunny wrote:
> > >
> > > "Dani" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> > > But come on.....................is there no one out there who didn't
> like
> > > killing Lara?
> >
> > Well, I'm one who doesn't like killing Lara.
> >
> > I admit some of the animations are good and are worth seeing (the
> > best of which is the Midas hand where she gets turned to gold).
> > But aside from that, I don't see the appeal. In my mind, it's a
> > failure on your part if you get her killed--you lose! And losing
> > isn't exactly way up there on my list of fun things to do. :)
> >
> > Also, Lara is our heroine. Just as in a book or movie, we're
> > supposed to care something about the protagonist. Again, aside
> > from however good the animations may be, I don't see why is it's
> > fun to see our lovely Lara get killed. The only thing I can think
> > of is it might have something to do with the psychology of "getting
> > back" at the programmers/Lara for some of the frustrations in the
> > game, or perhaps some kind of "ultimate control" issues. (No
> > disparagement intended toward anyone.)
> >

> EXACTLY! I killed her out of frustration. She's still my hero(ine). But she
> ain't real... ; )
>
> Dani

NO! She's not real?! Are you sure? ;P

> McGrandpa wrote:
>
>> I'm pro-life and I do NOT favor the death penalty.
>
> Many do.
>
>> Have you noted how forgiving Lara is? Every time you get her killed
>> (deliberatly or not) she's ready to go right back in there with ya
>> every time :)
>
> But whenever you start up the game (including a reset after killing
> Lara), it starts with a saved Lara--who didn't know about what you
> did to her in the last incarnation. :) She might feel differently
> about you if there wasn't a reset involved. ;)

LOL! ok ok, you're right, ya got me there :)

> Actually, now that I think about it... that would be fun! They
> should build in some sort of memory for Lara so she *would* know
> what happened previously. If you keep making the same mistake or
> whatever, she'd start getting exasperated with you. I can just
> see it: You walk her up to a gap to jump--after a certain number
> of times--she suddenly whirls back to face the player and says
> something like: "Oh no, not *again*! Do you *enjoy* hearing my
> bones crunch or something? Now, *concentrate* this time!"
>
> Heh, that'd be oh so cool. :D
>
> -- G

Yeah, it would! I can think of a lot of things that would change. Ha!
Care to try a few?

River Ganges, or really anyplace you could drown her. Walks her up to
the edge of the pool, Lara spins around, plants hands firmly on hips;
"You DO plan to have me do a full swan dive to the LEFT this time, don't
you?" with a glaring look.
:)
McG.

> Gordian Slash wrote:
>>
>> Dani wrote:
>>>
>>> "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Here's to Lara playing a game with me as the character - laughing
>>> madly as she makes me do the hand-stand of death into a beautiful
>>> swan dive off of a building...
>>>
>>> *now to get my fat ass up to specs, lmao *
>>>
>>> ; )
>>>
>>> Dani
>>
>> I still say that my favorite ( simply because it was so sudden and
>> painfully dramatic - no to mention had its own MUSIC! ) was her being
>> hit by the subway trains in TR3...or was it TR3 - The Lost Artifact?
>> < brain fart mode >
>>
>> --
>> rolobeastie@earthlink.net
>> Never saw it coming!
>
> I sure saw that coming, and that makes it worse somehow. :( I
> took my time in that area. There's a train track, of *course*
> there'd be a train! How could the programmers overlook a very
> obvious way of killing Lara like *that*? And, sure enough...
>
> It looked like there was another passage up the tunnel. I
> figured I'd wait for a train to pass by, *then* run to the
> passage. I waited... and waited... and lollygagged around...
> no train. Not even a sound of a train coming. So, I finally
> had Lara sprint to the passage, but nope, never made it. :/
> You can hear the train coming, but there wasn't enough time to
> make it to the passage nor run back... oh no--splat--*Damn*!
> I *knew* it. <slaps forehead> humph :|
>
> It seems like they have a trigger there, so if you go down the
> track, you'll get it. No matter what.
>
> -- G

Yep, BUT there is a way TO get to that opening. I think. Been a while.
Isn't that right before the Drill Site, and before Luds Gate? that's
where you actually enter that area I think.
Gee, it's been a while!
McG.

Good idea, an interactive Lara. Wow, guess when we start a new game, we'd be
given chances right? Can't be dissed for not playing a new game well, can
we? Maybe change the level of difficulty as we progress. If missed a
trap/villian/whatever once, lower difficulty by a notch but if complete with
no misses, increase the level steadily. Thought they might have something
like that hardwired in the games. No? Ah... not so diligent, I guess.

WY

In article <cm00ku$9er$1@mawar.singnet.com.sg>, "W. Y."
<yeomy@BLAHBLAHBLAH.singnet.com.sg> writes:

>As for the nudes, I just ignore and delete them whenever they appear. Don't
>even want to reply those. I don't understand what's so fascinating about a
>nude CGI. Men/Boys... *shakes head* ;)

We ain't been gettin' any? ;-)

In article <4184BEF1.9A78EB53@ix.nospam.netcom.com>, Gary Mitchell
<wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> writes:

>It seems like they have a trigger there, so if you go down the
>track, you'll get it. No matter what.
>
> -- G

There wasn't supposed to be any extra path there. It's "out-of-bounds".
Remember Unfinished Business, where you got to play around in the desert sand
for a while...up to a point where Lara suddenly collapses and you hear a sizzle
as if she got fried?

It's that type of "out-of-bounds"...the kind that kills.

In the case of TR3, it's an oncoming train that you can't avoid.