Can't see HDD after booting from SSD

Hello everyone, I hope you guys can help me out with this. I recently bought a new custom built computer, consisting of a 40g Intel SSD, a 60g SSD, and a 1T HDD. The computer came with Windows 7 preinstalled on the HDD, but I wanted Windows 7 on the 60g SSD. So I went ahead and pressed F2 on the boot screen to install windows to the SSD. After that I booted the SSD and Windows booted up just fine, however I couldn't see the other two drives.

At this point, I'm using windows on the SSD. I cannot see the HDD and the other SSD in My Computer. If I boot to the HDD which had the preinstalled windows on it. I could see the 60g SSD, but not the 40g SSD.

So what I want is to boot windows from the 60g SSD, and still be able to access the other SSD plus the HDD.
Why I can't do this is because I can't access the other SSD and HDD from the 60g SSD.

Any feedback is much appreciated.

By the way, I did not delete windows from the HDD, and I can still boot from it. The 40g SSD isn't visible anywhere, not even in the BIOS.
6 answers Last reply
More about booting
  1. im no expert but something like this happened to me try going to disk management then look for your HDD
    here is the link to what i used to fix my problem http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ht/partition-hard-drive-windows-7.htm
  2. robotsdidyourmom said:
    im no expert but something like this happened to me try going to disk management then look for your HDD
    here is the link to what i used to fix my problem http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ht/partition-hard-drive-windows-7.htm

Didn't really help since I can't see the other drives anywhere, not disk management, not my computer, not bios, nothing. I think the problem may be drivers, but for some reason my internet isn't working right now to download the drivers.
  3. Okay so in order to explore the possible solution of updating the drivers for the HDD, I need my internet to work while I'm on the SSD. I need to update the network drivers, and in order to do that I need to be connected to the internet... How am I supposed to get my internet to work by using the internet? ._. This is so frustrating. All I want is to be able to use my SSD for windows and my HDD for everything else.
  4. Badger6 said:
    Okay so in order to explore the possible solution of updating the drivers for the HDD, I need my internet to work while I'm on the SSD. I need to update the network drivers, and in order to do that I need to be connected to the internet... How am I supposed to get my internet to work by using the internet? ._. This is so frustrating. All I want is to be able to use my SSD for windows and my HDD for everything else.

if you have another computer you can download the drivers on to a usb or somthing and put them on the computer your trying to get working
  5. I remembered the computer came with a disk filled with drivers on it. I'll try installing all those.
  6. Hey I had the same problem with my rig. I have just put in a new OCZ 128 GB for my OS and games.

When you boot go into your bios and see if both your drives are being detected. If they are, its not a software problem.

In case your HDD is not getting detected at all, its a hardware problem.

If its a hardware problem, do the usual.
    1. Change SATA cables. I broke my head for half a day trying to figure it our. The HDD worked when i plugged my DVD drives one.
    2. Take out your SSD. just keep the HDD in the same config as previously. Try booting up.
    3. Change ports on your board. Try a new port and see if its detecting.

Finally, I recommend you format your old drive where the OS was on and doing a new install of your OS.

My copy of Win 7 crashed when I put in new fans! I got a BSOD and post that it refused to boot.

Let me know if it works.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives SSD Computer Storage