All USB devices have stopped working

rauchster

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2008
I couldn't find a sub-forum for USB devices in specific so I'm going to post here and see if someone can help.

My situation is this: All USB Devices plugged into any port on my computer no longer work. Not during POST, boot sequence or operating system. Also, with the the exception of a mouse that lights up and still doesn't work, all devices once plugged into my system seem to no longer be usable on ANY system.

Background story:
My Razer Copperhead mouse was getting really really dirty and mis-firing constantly. I decided to take it apart and clean it out. Apparently this was a big mistake, as it never worked after I put it back together. I just assumed at the time, that I screwed something up during the process.
However, within 1 day of this happening, every USB device on the system has stopped working. The backup mouse that I plugged in was next to go. Then my webcam, after that, my flash drive, and finally my Merc Stealth Keyboard.
I did notice at first that every time I plugged something into a certain port, it seemed to die (both mice in this manner) so I stopped using that port, but then everything just quit.

No device seems to want to work on any system. I can plug them into a Windows XP machine that I have temporary access to (which I'm writing this post from) and all give the error "USB Device has malfunctioned" or "USB Device Not recognized"

What I fear is that there was a short in that first USB port(on Front Panel), causing a failure in devices plugged into it in the beginning, and finally across the entire USB system. That would of course mean that every peripheral device that I own is useless which would be very bad.

System specs of the computer which is killing USB's:
ASUS M4A79 Mobo
Zigmatek 650 Mod PSU
AMD PhenomII 940 X4 CPU
ATI Radeon 5850 Gfx Card
Twin 500GB HDD's and twin 2TB HDD's
xclio Blackhawk case

Any help at all would be very much appreciated!

flaminggerbil

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
What I fear is that there was a short in that first USB port(on Front Panel), causing a failure in devices plugged into it in the beginning, and finally across the entire USB system. That would of course mean that every peripheral device that I own is useless which would be very bad.
Think you've found the answer yourself unfortunately.

The fact that the devices are now 'dead' is a clear pointer to your USB ports shorting/having power issues, might want to think about buying a new motherboard.