Quad display question

I want to run 3 22inch monitors and a 32 inch 720p TV from my desktop. For the 3 monitors I was thinking a radeon 5850 using eyefinity. For the TV i want to use a radeon 4670 I have lounging around the house. The question is about an appropriate motherboard for this situation. Question one is if, in a 880G chipset, I could run the 5850 in the 16x PCIE slot and the 4670 in the 4x slot. Question 2 is if not, or if it would not run well, what would be a better solution. Obviously the 890fx would work with so many PCIE lanes, but I am trying to do this on the cheep. THANKS!
5 answers Last reply
More about quad display question
  1. well, with the 880G chipset, you could use the onboard video and the 5850

the 880G would be enough for playing movies on the tv (thats what i am assuming you are doing), though i would look into the 890GX for crossfire later and it would still have the onboard video
  2. That could work. I tried to do this once with an older motherboard (socket 939) and it did not work. Does this commonly work now?
  3. japnoise99 said:
    That could work. I tried to do this once with an older motherboard (socket 939) and it did not work. Does this commonly work now?

yeah, i have hooked up a monitor to my CF 4870's and a TV to my onboard HD4200 (790GX chipset)
  4. anything with dual pci-e x16 2.0 at an electrical 8 x8 would be more then enough. They have already done comparions with gtx480 in crossfire showing only a 1-2 percent drop in fps between dual pci-e 2.0 x16 and dual pci-e 2.0 x8.

With your case in particular it makes even less of a difference as you only have 1 card that will do any real work. I would find out what motherboard mindless728 is using. that seems perfect for you.
  5. i am using the Asus M4A78-E, though i would recommend one of the 890GX boards since its a newer chipset with a slightly better IGP and get one with Sata 6.0Gb/s and USB 3.0

though the DDR3 variant of my board can be had for $115 (the Asus M4A78T-E)

for 890GX i would say get the Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3
    or the GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Monitors Graphics