Glidos problem with a 32 bit desktop

Tim

I'm having a peculiar problem with Glidos/TR where objects, such as
medipacks, can be seen through pillars, walls, etc. I have found that by
switching my desktop to 16 bit color the problem is eliminated. However I
have many games that require a 32 bit desktop and I'd prefer keeping it set
that way anyway. Is there an ini file entry that could fix this problem or
perhaps a Registry fix? I have tried using the latest video card drivers as
well as forcing the Z buffer depth to 16 or 24 bit. No change. This happens
with all versions of Glidos.

Below is an URL with an example of the problem, any help is greatly
appreciated.

http://tinyurl.com/5qzaf

System
WinXP Pro SP2
Abit NF7-S v2.0 (BIOS version 26)
Athlon XP Mobile 2600+ (OCed to 166x13 at 1.525v)
Swiftech MCX-465V w temp-controlled Thermaltake Smartfan II.
1 GB Corsair XMS PC3200
WD 80GB SE hard drive
Radeon 9100 128MBs (Cat v4.2)
Plextor 16/10/40A CD-RW
Toshiba SM-1502 DVD-ROM
Antec TruePower 430 Watts

Tim wrote:

> I'm having a peculiar problem with Glidos/TR where objects, such as
> medipacks, can be seen through pillars, walls, etc. I have found that by
> switching my desktop to 16 bit color the problem is eliminated. However I
> have many games that require a 32 bit desktop and I'd prefer keeping it set
> that way anyway. Is there an ini file entry that could fix this problem or
> perhaps a Registry fix? I have tried using the latest video card drivers as
> well as forcing the Z buffer depth to 16 or 24 bit. No change. This happens
> with all versions of Glidos.

I wonder if this is related to a transparency problem I've
noticed (seems to have something to do with the Glide driver).
One particular color is supposed be transparent, but doesn't
always work out that way.

-- G

"Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
> Tim wrote:
>>
>> I'm having a peculiar problem with Glidos/TR where objects, such as
>> medipacks, can be seen through pillars, walls, etc. I have found that by
>> switching my desktop to 16 bit color the problem is eliminated. However I
>> have many games that require a 32 bit desktop and I'd prefer keeping it
>> set
>> that way anyway. Is there an ini file entry that could fix this problem
>> or
>> perhaps a Registry fix? I have tried using the latest video card drivers
>> as
>> well as forcing the Z buffer depth to 16 or 24 bit. No change. This
>> happens
>> with all versions of Glidos.
>
> I wonder if this is related to a transparency problem I've
> noticed (seems to have something to do with the Glide driver).
> One particular color is supposed be transparent, but doesn't
> always work out that way.
>
> -- G

black (RGB 0) is commonly used...however whichever color is used I have
found colors near the transparent color tend to go tranparent also. in 16bit
the colors tend to be more distinct from each other thus reducing the
effect(likely due to the file format). it can be a bit of a bother when one
does(or rather has done) up a nice texture with a particular vid card only
to find that different cards render it invisible.
rex

"Tim" <argybargy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm having a peculiar problem with Glidos/TR where objects, such as
> medipacks, can be seen through pillars, walls, etc. I have found that by
> switching my desktop to 16 bit color the problem is eliminated. However I
> have many games that require a 32 bit desktop and I'd prefer keeping it
set
> that way anyway. Is there an ini file entry that could fix this problem or
> perhaps a Registry fix? I have tried using the latest video card drivers
as
> well as forcing the Z buffer depth to 16 or 24 bit. No change. This
happens
> with all versions of Glidos.

I'm seeing something similar on my X800 XT. Its the first ATI card I've
had, so
I'm only now able to look into the problem.

Cheers,
Paul.

Tim

"Paul Gardiner" <paul@no-spam-thank-you.co.uk> wrote in message

> I'm seeing something similar on my X800 XT. Its the first ATI card I've
> had, so
> I'm only now able to look into the problem.

Thanks for the follow-up, Paul.