How hard is it to transfer a pc to a different case?

Grumpvofr

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
I'm planning to buy a new case just a cheap one cause my old casing does not have a front fan for hard drives.
I also want a tool-less casing for hard drives.
Anyway, my PC is low-end so I don't need an expensive casing, I'm planning to buy a Cooler Master Elite 430. Would my mobo fit in it? My mobo is MSI G31M3.
Would a person like me, who doesnt have experience assembling a pc, can transfer the whole thing to a new case?

Solution
it should fit your case alright. And everybody should learn how to set up everything in a new case, its pretty straight forward really, just take out the hard drives, optical disc drives, sound card, graphics if you have any and then remove the screws on the motherboard, take that out and then the power supply unit. Assemble the same as you took it out more or less the same only in the reverse order then and you're fine. think of it as one of them kinder surprise puzzles only you get it finished first and have to disassemble and put back together. There is no need to take the processor or RAM out at all, so it should all be fine.

It's a little outdated but it should help...

Collie147

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
it should fit your case alright. And everybody should learn how to set up everything in a new case, its pretty straight forward really, just take out the hard drives, optical disc drives, sound card, graphics if you have any and then remove the screws on the motherboard, take that out and then the power supply unit. Assemble the same as you took it out more or less the same only in the reverse order then and you're fine. think of it as one of them kinder surprise puzzles only you get it finished first and have to disassemble and put back together. There is no need to take the processor or RAM out at all, so it should all be fine.

It's a little outdated but it should help
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/How-to-Install-a-Motherboard/145
http://www.buildeasypc.com/hw/howto/assemblepc.htm

The hardest thing you'll have to do is put on the pins on the headers for the USB and Power switch and LED lights... and they're generally labelled!

Also a point to note, front fans should suck air in and rear/top mounted fans should push air out, just in case you have to mount any yourself.

But I'd recommend taking a few photos of these as they are already set up (near left hand corner if you have your case laying down on its back with the dvd drives facing you) just in case

Solution

kaosnkorruption

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
If you're looking for a truly toolless case, look into the Lancool PC-K60 or K62 if you want some flash. Just bought the K62 myself (didn't really want the flash, but it was on sale for cheaper than the K60), and the install was an absolute breeze; didn't need a screwdriver at all. (Except to pull the parts out of my old case)

Grumpvofr

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010

Thank you, I tried it on my old psu and mobo and it's really not that hard. :D

The Lancool casing looks great, too bad the local dealer here stop selling it! :(