matakus

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
Ive searched the net but no one can really tell or has any good comparisons between the Gigabyte GAP67A-UD5 and UD7

I am going to be OC and running 2x 570's in SLI. I need firewire so cant go to the UD4.

What actuall difference do these motherboards have and does the NF200 Chip make a difference on the GPU's?

Just trying to justify the $80 price difference.

I will be running 16GB ram and a 2600K OC as well, although that probably has no real effect on the boards stats.

Thanks Guys

Eagle Eye_54

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
First of all, why the heck are you going to run 16GB of RAM? Unless you are a pro photographer running Photoshop for hours, I'd drop down to 8GB. Make sure the RAM you pick is on the Motherboard's QVL before you buy it. RAM can be a real trouble maker, especially with the new Sandy Bridge mobos.

Have you already bought the CPU? If not and you are planning to run big GPU's in SLI, you would be better off with a 1366 socket board and CPU. That way you get PCIe 16x for both GPU's, rather than 1x16 and 1x8 in the SB socket. You'l;l also get triple memory channels instead of dual. Remember, OC'ing is only part of the story for performance.

Why Gigabyte and not ASUS or some other top end board? Have you looked at EVGA? Have your read all the reviews and forum comments?

ortoklaz

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010

yes NF200 Chip is where your money is ,it will give you 2x16 for SLI
get two sticks 2x4gb for now,it's a lot easier to OC and if you building this rig mainly for gaming ,you better of with 2500K
here is good UD7 review;
http://www.overclock.net/intel-general/910467-ultimate-sandy-bridge-oc-guide-p67a.html
here RAM for Sandy;
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/memory/2011/01/11/the-best-memory-for-sandy-bridge/1

matakus

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

Yeah i use nuke alot and fill up 24gb of ram at work in minutes. Im always curious as why people think that its hard to fill up 16gb ram, if you run a heavy scene in Maya, Use Zbrush or run nuke or aftereffects, it gets chomped, specially if your working at 4k.

thanks for your reply. helpful

Eagle Eye_54

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011

Well, that explains it....you can use it. Go with 16GB and be happy. :D The reason I questioned this is because 90% of the posters here seem to only care about games and what name plate in on their RAM. You, have a need for tons of RAM and that seems unique for this board. :ouch:

I'd still go with the power of a 1366 socket. Besides the bandwidth issues, the CPU is designed for high end users like yourself, not just for playing games and seeing who can reach the highest OC level before their CPU and RAM goes up in flames. You know the type.......Hey Mom, can I have some more money, I just fried my computer again. :bounce: LOL

matakus

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

Yeah aye i know the type, still, if sandy bridge beats the 1366 clock for clock, then instead of spending heaps on a westmere or going for duel xeon's ( for use at home, i got a beast at work :) i'd rather get a 1155 socket, even though it may blow up, meh, still cheaper than a 980x. Cheers for the reply bro

Eagle Eye_54

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011

I would never suggest anyone buy a 980X!!!! I was referring to the i7-950 and i7-960 which can be had for less than $300. That is lower than the cost of the 2600k.

ortoklaz

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010

you just did ..yesterday lol
" They just released a new one a few days back....it is only $1099. The fact that you can now get a top tier CPU and board for the same low dollar as one of those mainstream troublesome 1156 socket replacements, I would think an old fellow like you would be jumping to get into the major leagues. LOL"

ortoklaz

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
@matakus 1366 or 1155,there is not much of a difference ,yes 1155 can bet 1366 it's a fact,no reason for NF200 unless you want to run 3way sli, you need a 2600x1600 resolution monitor to need 16x per card in two way SLI.
2x16~2x8 is about2~3% difference in synthetic benchmarks ,there is a bunch of guys still on 1366 witch are very stubborn and won't accept the fact that second gen."mainstream" can do circles around they platform,running cool and sucking a lot less juice doing it,you will have 30 days to return your product if you don't like it,good luck
P.S. "even though it may blow up"..good one lol

matakus

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

YEah but say i wanted to upgrade in the future to maybe duel 590's or so, as rendering is starting to be about cuda cores and not cpu's which is good as it speed stuff up by like 20x. I was tossing up between running 16x/16x or 8x/8x and i know there is not much difference in games that's noticeable, but for rendering, the cards will be @ 100% and i read somewhere (correct me if im wrong) that the 570 - 580's are basically at the edge of what 8x can handle in terms of data, so, to say "Future proof" the motherboard, would it be better to get the UD7? Also, in rendering, every % counts ;)

Eagle Eye_54

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011

I absolutely did not, you trouble maker. You are trolling again I see. I used the fact that Intel released a new chip in the thread to make the point that the 1366 is not dead. You get your facts straight before posting and making a fool of yourself again. Or have you forgotten: "Its not fair".

ortoklaz

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010

..lol..i stop feeding trolls long time ago ,good try tho
if you can contribute to this thread and help OP please do so,otherwise step back Jack !
the only reason i tolerate you is balance
http://www.howtomakemyblog.com/comments/dealing-with-internet-trolls-the-real-way/

Eagle Eye_54

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011

Balance. Well that is interesting. I wished you'd show some once and a while. Someday I hope you'll realize that speed is not the be all to end all for everyone. There are people out there that are not interested in OC'ing and have other uses for computers besides gaming. Also, I note from your posts that you ignore the opinion of others that suggest maybe there is more to it than speed alone. Oh and one more thing..... maybe before you hand out your very slanted opinions about things and toss around your "I am superior" attitude, perhaps we could just ask you to properly read what is said by other posters first so you don't keep putting your foot in it. Have a nice day.

matakus

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
yeah well i dont know what kind of people dont want to make their computer faster as it saves time, but if you render stuff, you want to make your computer faster or have more of them, end of story. no one like waiting :)