Sign in with
Your question
Solved

5870 gsod cant fix

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 27, 2010 10:14:39 PM

i'am sure you've gotten a ton of these but i cant seem to find a solution anywhere and its really bugging me

my build : Case - coolermaster haf 932
Processor - i7 920
Ram - 6 gb corsair xms dominator
Video card - xfx hd 5870
Mobo - ASUS P6X58D Premium X58

i can play games without crashing for a while but sometimes ill get a gray screen of death or brown screen of death after 5 minutes

also it will come as a flicker then it will show the gsod then it will unfreeze and then it will completely freeze after a bit more of playing

More about : 5870 gsod fix

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
April 27, 2010 11:18:54 PM

What is your Power Supply?

Assuming that is OK, I'd recommend RMAing the card. Drivers won't fix this, it is likely a HW problem. At least an RMA will tell us if it is the card or another incompatibility/failure.
April 27, 2010 11:45:02 PM

Corsair TX850W 850W CMPSU-850TX 12V 70A 24PIN ATX Active PFC 140M Fan Power Supply

ya thats what i was afraid of >.> o well atleast its got a 3 year warranty :D 
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
April 28, 2010 2:51:22 AM

Yep, clearly that is a more than sufficient PSU. So at this point, you need to start swapping components.
m
l
a c 147 U Graphics card
April 28, 2010 7:29:39 PM

Quote:
ati card are all carb.they are not reliable.nvidia is the best.though nvidia maynot have juicy hardware spec as compared to ati but when it comes to gaming nvidia card always trumps.have u ever heard any one having this stupid problem with nvidia card.i was also thinking of buying a hd 5850 but i backtraced becoz of so many people having problem with ati 58xx card.i broght nvidia gtx 280 instead and iam totally loving its gaming muscle.no crash no error long live nvidia.

fanboy much? I've had dud Nvidia cards as well as ATI cards. I had a GTX 260 that went back for a very similar issue, random reboots, black screens, white screens.

The OPs PSU is more than enough. I have an artifact issue with my 5870 and is actually back to ASUS a second time because of it. I use the GPU stress test in OCCT and turn on error checking. It counts the number of errors that occur and it keeps a constant image that allows you to pick out artifacts when they occur. You may want to try that to test it out. Most likely you will need an RMA. http://www.ocbase.com/perestroika_en/index.php?Download
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 28, 2010 7:32:50 PM

I guess he missed the card killing NVidia driver a month or so back :lol: 

Edit: I love that error checking in OCCT. So jay, was your card even throwing errors at stock?
m
l
a c 147 U Graphics card
April 28, 2010 7:53:11 PM

EXT64 said:
I guess he missed the card killing NVidia driver a month or so back :lol: 

Edit: I love that error checking in OCCT. So jay, was your card even throwing errors at stock?

Yes, it gives a errors and you see little white dots that show up. ALL stock. Once the card gets to 80-82C is when it starts to happen. If I lower the GPU clock to, lets say, 700MHz it goes away. OR if I raise the core voltage to 1.2V it goes away. The memory clock does nothing to solve the issue. Everything was fine when playing games that do not need alot of GPU umph, like MW2 and Left4Dead2. The first 5 months I had this it did not see more than 75C on any game. I played Dirt 2 a little after a few months and that gave a few artifacts but I didn't play the game long enough to care. I then got Bad Company 2 which caused my GPU to hit 85C and give artifacts and at times crash out to the desktop. I didn't run the OCCT before that because I didn't have an issue, which I should have done on day 1 so I could have returned to Newegg. Now I am stuck with ASUS support. Which they are VERY nice always answer the phone. But, I sent it back and it doesn't seem that they did anything to it. I called them and they ensured they would test it thoroughly. I could have gotten an advanced replacement, but there were non in stock. So I'm getting it back Friday so we shall see. The Service report still has the same serial # but I don't know if that means it was just the reported serial # or the one I'm getting back. We will see. If it doesn't pass, I will call again. They told me they do not game test, but have proprietary software and end with a futureMark test. Which never had an issue before anyways.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 28, 2010 9:25:28 PM

Ah, I see. I just wanted to check, as I have serious Dirt 2 shadow flicker, however today I just confirmed it is a Game glitch (not driver or card) that came with the patch.
m
l
a c 147 U Graphics card
April 29, 2010 12:03:28 AM

EXT64 said:
Ah, I see. I just wanted to check, as I have serious Dirt 2 shadow flicker, however today I just confirmed it is a Game glitch (not driver or card) that came with the patch.

Yeah that is why i always confirm with something else like OCCT. Which makes me angry because apparently ASUS test apps apparently don't catch the issue. I will call them again and send it back on their dime if it has the same issue.
m
l
May 3, 2010 8:09:49 PM

Best answer selected by Rooslin.
m
l
May 3, 2010 8:19:06 PM

jay2tall said:
Yeah that is why i always confirm with something else like OCCT. Which makes me angry because apparently ASUS test apps apparently don't catch the issue. I will call them again and send it back on their dime if it has the same issue.

i did the occt thingy and in a few minutes i got 250 something errors it was fine for the first minute or two then it just started going blank and you could hear the fan on my card just die down then restart back up again when the screen came back
said something about 0.71 v or something and the crashes happened about three times over about 5 minutes
m
l
!