Using a new ssd as main drive

solemncollector

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
So i have a 750gb hard drive right now but I am rebuilding my computer all i am keeping is the hard drive and graphics card. I want to put windows on the ssd so how can i keep all my programs working on the original drive if it is no longer the c drive?
did i say all of this right?

programs Have to be installed in the operating system that is active.
When programs are installed the vast majority write to the Registry and if these lines are not in the registry when the operating system loads, the programs will not run. There are a FEW programs that will run without being installed.

Sorry for the bad news, but when you install windows on the SSD, you will also have to re-install your programs.

When installing an SSD in a already built system with a HDD that has the OS + programs on it you can do a Migrate or clone from the HDD -> the SSD, although the Clean Install is the recommended way.

However, you are moving the HDD from one Motherboard to a New Motherboard which means that the majority of hardwaredrives will not be correct, so not an option in your case.

I know, it's a PITA to have to re-install programs, but it's a one time deal.

solemncollector

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
If everything was still packaged in cds it would but fine but the fastest ill get redownloading steam games is 600kb/s which is rediculous if i even get that fast so downloading like 100-200gbs worth is going to take literally weeks, shogun 2 took me 4 days :/
and yea i got a SanDisk Extreme SSD 120GB GB SATA 6.0 Gb-s
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006EKJCWM/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00
If youre interested ill post my old specs and then my new specs, my mobo and processor arent here yet :( i have the case my old gpu (gtx570hd doubleshot from evga) the ssd and ram.
But, the ssd isn't big enough for everything. I'm probably going to put just win 7 on it (what else? steams not gonna fit lol) maybe a few standalone games
I figure since everything has to access the files in the system when im playing games it will atleast speed it up a little right?

solemncollector

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
Also I have an ASUS CM 5570 and the side of the case with the win 7 key does not say if it is oem? what do i do? I tried looking for win 7 home premium on microsoft but their store isn't working Im not paying like 100$ because micro$oft are greedy fucks. If the code on the side doesnt say oem it shoud be fine right?

solemncollector

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012

haha that would have been nice if i didn't run out of cash

You said "If the code on the side doesnt say oem it shoud be fine right? "
If the Windows 7 came with a Pre-built system and the key is on the case, it is an OEM version tied to that MB.

Legally OEM versions can not be transfered to a "Upgrade" MB unless the MB it was tied to Died. You can try using it and if you get a message sdaying that you need to call uSoft, call them and explain - they may go ahead an authorize a new key. Worth a shot.

solemncollector

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012

I guess it comes down to lieing through my teeth.
Basically i have to say, my motherboard died and it cant be replaced anymore.
OEM should die, thats a rediculous thing to tie someone down to one motherboard when its a dinosaur, my current one is ddr2 and doesnt support new processors.

OEM has it's place.
It was designed for sale to manuf AT A REDUCED cost that could be passed on to consummers. uSoft put two strings on this reduced cost: (1) MS does not support, support is thru the OEM, and 2) the liecense was limited to the system it was sold with.

Remember the Vast majority just Go into a store and buy a prebuilt system and when it dies, or they want to upgrade they go back to store and buy a new system. FOR them (the intended target) an OEM version makes since and saves the majority the $50 bucks.

solemncollector

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012

50$ is well worth having windows that i can keep, at this point if i cant convince them that my mobo died and transfer the license to my new one ill either A: Pirate windows or B:pirate some more.
Are thoose student discounted upgrade versions usable? i dont have win xp or anything anymore so im not really upgrading

raytseng

Honorable
May 15, 2012
It is against forum rules to discuss any illegal activities here. It will lead to your thread being locked.

1) Upgrading your Windows License is not what you are doing, since you're starting from a new mobo==new machine, so you aren't looking for an upgrade. Microsoft is not being greedy, you bought or got the wrong product initially. If you wanted a transferrable license you should've paid extra originally for that.

2) There are student pricing from microsoft. type it into google and it will bring you to microsoft's site. If you are in college or a bigger school with an actual college tech store, ask around the student computer store and they may have more discounts then publically available.
OR you can bundle another OEM version of windows again with your new build and save now. I would guess your new computer will last you longer then you will need the transferable license.

solemncollector

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012

The only thing there is the professional upgrade