Sign in with
Your question

Asus anti-surge protection

Last response: in Storage
July 21, 2012 2:37:48 AM

I have a harddrive that started making a constant high pitch noise. i did a SMART long test and it reports the disk is fine. The actual problem is that when I send a command to put it in standby (using hdparm) so that it spins down and stops making the annoying noise, as soon as I do, the MOBO shuts off and after I restart the machine, it says "power supply surges detected during the previous power on .Asus anti-surge was triggered to protect system from unstable power supply unit"

So, currently my belief is that the disk is fine but that's my first question. Is a constant high pitch noise a conclusive symptom of a dying disk?

But more importantly, is it really possible for a harddrive to create a surge when it powers down or should i worry about my PSU? or could this just be a false positive on the surge protection mechanism?

What do you guys think?
July 21, 2012 2:46:52 AM

Try updating the BIOS to see if this alleviates a possible false positive on the PSU. If that doesn't help then you should definitely worry about it... I have seen that before in my shop on new builds before and ignored it thinking it was a false positive, only to have to replace it soon after when it died entirely.
a b ) Power supply
a b G Storage
July 21, 2012 2:56:44 AM

We need system specs. Especially you PSU.

You shouldn't need to tell it to spin down windows should be doing that when it's not in use
July 21, 2012 3:04:42 AM

i'm not using windows. it's an ubuntu server and i just realized that the hdparm settings to spin down the disk were all disabled :S

I will try updating the BIOS

specs:
Intel Pentium E6500
ASUS P5G41C-M mobo
With 1 Sata and 1 Pata hardrive
2 sticks of dual channel DDR2 memory
an SD hauppauge tv tuner (pvr-150)

and the PSU (3 years old)
Sparkle Power SPI 350W ATX12V 2.0 24/20PINS Power Supply
!