Asus anti-surge protection

I have a harddrive that started making a constant high pitch noise. i did a SMART long test and it reports the disk is fine. The actual problem is that when I send a command to put it in standby (using hdparm) so that it spins down and stops making the annoying noise, as soon as I do, the MOBO shuts off and after I restart the machine, it says "power supply surges detected during the previous power on .Asus anti-surge was triggered to protect system from unstable power supply unit"

So, currently my belief is that the disk is fine but that's my first question. Is a constant high pitch noise a conclusive symptom of a dying disk?

But more importantly, is it really possible for a harddrive to create a surge when it powers down or should i worry about my PSU? or could this just be a false positive on the surge protection mechanism?

What do you guys think?
3 answers Last reply
More about asus anti surge protection
  1. Try updating the BIOS to see if this alleviates a possible false positive on the PSU. If that doesn't help then you should definitely worry about it... I have seen that before in my shop on new builds before and ignored it thinking it was a false positive, only to have to replace it soon after when it died entirely.
  2. We need system specs. Especially you PSU.

You shouldn't need to tell it to spin down windows should be doing that when it's not in use
  3. i'm not using windows. it's an ubuntu server and i just realized that the hdparm settings to spin down the disk were all disabled :S

I will try updating the BIOS

specs:
    Intel Pentium E6500
    ASUS P5G41C-M mobo
    With 1 Sata and 1 Pata hardrive
    2 sticks of dual channel DDR2 memory
    an SD hauppauge tv tuner (pvr-150)

and the PSU (3 years old)
    Sparkle Power SPI 350W ATX12V 2.0 24/20PINS Power Supply
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Power Supplies Storage