Tomb Raider speed challenge

I don't know if anyone else has tried this before but I have been
trying to find out what is the fastest possible time the easiest Tomb
Raider level can be completed in. That is level 1 from TR1.

I had been trying to beat 4 minutes for some time but the best I had
managed was 4 minutes 11 seconds. But yesterday I finally did it in 3
minutes 57 seconds. That was on a fairly slow PC with just a Celeron
433 processor and a 48X CD Rom drive - I don't know if that really
makes any difference.

When the level is completed, the time taken is shown on the screen
along with the number of kills, pickups and secrets found, and that is
the one I base it on. I don't waste any time on pickups or secrets and
the important thing is to get all the jumps and grabs right because if
you fall, it loses loads of time.

The first time I tried this it took me 7 minutes 11 seconds, and I
gradually got faster with practice. At first I was using the all
weapons cheat but that was pointless because you don't need them and
it only wasted time having to spin around etc.

In article <45eedd97.0411070540.7673f537@posting.google.com>,
paul2468y@yahoo.co.uk (Paul H) writes:

>I had been trying to beat 4 minutes for some time but the best I had
>managed was 4 minutes 11 seconds. But yesterday I finally did it in 3
>minutes 57 seconds. That was on a fairly slow PC with just a Celeron
>433 processor and a 48X CD Rom drive - I don't know if that really
>makes any difference.

Try it with all the secrets. I've managed to make it down to 10 minutes, 25
seconds.

While we're on that subject, what's the quickest end-to-end completion of all
the TRs out there (that's TR-1, TR-1A (UB), TR-2, TR-2B (GM), TR-3, TR-3B (LA),
TR-4, TR-4A (LT), TR-5 and TR-6 combined) with all secrets found?

I'm in the process of doing that now. I've managed to complete TR-1, TR-2,
TR-2A and TR-3, and now I'm on TR-4. Sadly, TR-UB won't work on my computer
and I've lost TR-3A for some reason, so I'll never be able to go through all of
them. I'm up to 3 days, 16 hours, 29 minutes and 3 seconds total time on the
ones that I've completed, and I'm up to 16 hours, 31 minutes and 27 seconds on
TR-4.

Tim

"Paul E Kiefer Jr" <pkieferjr@aol.com> wrote in message
> While we're on that subject, what's the quickest end-to-end completion of
all
> the TRs out there (that's TR-1, TR-1A (UB), TR-2, TR-2B (GM), TR-3, TR-3B
(LA),
> TR-4, TR-4A (LT), TR-5 and TR-6 combined) with all secrets found?

Which one is "TR-4A (LT)"? Is that an expansion pack of some kind?

In article <2v7hffF2ici61U1@uni-berlin.de>, "Tim" <argybargy@hotmail.com>
writes:

>Which one is "TR-4A (LT)"? Is that an expansion pack of some kind?

Sort of. This was a separate level published by the London Times in
partnership with EIDOS to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the discovery of
King Tut's Tomb. Hence "LT". I designated it as "4A" because it came out
after "The Last Revelation" and was based on the same engine.

In article <20041107114630.06525.00000039@mb-m24.aol.com>, pkieferjr@aol.com
(Paul E Kiefer Jr) writes:

>I'm in the process of doing that now. I've managed to complete TR-1, TR-2,
>TR-2A and TR-3, and now I'm on TR-4. Sadly, TR-UB won't work on my computer
>and I've lost TR-3A for some reason, so I'll never be able to go through all
>of
>them. I'm up to 3 days, 16 hours, 29 minutes and 3 seconds total time on the
>ones that I've completed, and I'm up to 16 hours, 31 minutes and 27 seconds
>on
>TR-4.

Update: I've completed TR-4 ("The Last Revelation" for those who don't know my
numbering system) in 17 hours, 36 minutes, 7 seconds, bringing the total time
up to 4 days, 10 hours, 5 minutes, 10 seconds.

> In article <20041107114630.06525.00000039@mb-m24.aol.com>,
> pkieferjr@aol.com (Paul E Kiefer Jr) writes:
>
>> I'm in the process of doing that now. I've managed to complete
>> TR-1, TR-2, TR-2A and TR-3, and now I'm on TR-4. Sadly, TR-UB won't
>> work on my computer and I've lost TR-3A for some reason, so I'll
>> never be able to go through all of
>> them. I'm up to 3 days, 16 hours, 29 minutes and 3 seconds total
>> time on the ones that I've completed, and I'm up to 16 hours, 31
>> minutes and 27 seconds on
>> TR-4.
>
> Update: I've completed TR-4 ("The Last Revelation" for those who
> don't know my numbering system) in 17 hours, 36 minutes, 7 seconds,
> bringing the total time up to 4 days, 10 hours, 5 minutes, 10 seconds.

*blink* *blink blink* WOW!

I feel good to just get thru a level a weekend! Good job! :)
McG.

Paul E Kiefer Jr wrote:

> In article <2v7hffF2ici61U1@uni-berlin.de>, "Tim" <argybargy@hotmail.com>
> writes:
>
> >Which one is "TR-4A (LT)"? Is that an expansion pack of some kind?
>
> Sort of. This was a separate level published by the London Times in
> partnership with EIDOS to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the discovery of
> King Tut's Tomb. Hence "LT". I designated it as "4A" because it came out
> after "The Last Revelation" and was based on the same engine.

I share Tim's confusion. I've never heard it called that, it's
always been just "the Times Level." IMO, calling it 4A is a bit
misleading. The Times Level may use TR 4's engine, but it's not
part of that game.

-- G

In article <418F2CCD.9471D74F@ix.nospam.netcom.com>, Gary Mitchell
<wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> writes:

>> Sort of. This was a separate level published by the London Times in
>> partnership with EIDOS to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the discovery
>of
>> King Tut's Tomb. Hence "LT". I designated it as "4A" because it came out
>> after "The Last Revelation" and was based on the same engine.
>
>I share Tim's confusion. I've never heard it called that, it's
>always been just "the Times Level." IMO, calling it 4A is a bit
>misleading. The Times Level may use TR 4's engine, but it's not
>part of that game.
>
> -- G

My mistake. I didn't realize that it was just one single level until I played
it last night. The "4A" (actually, I prefer "4-A") is strictly for my
reference only. Your mileage may vary.

In article <fTAjd.32515$tL5.10872@fe2.texas.rr.com>, "McGrandpa"
<McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> writes:

>> Update: I've completed TR-4 ("The Last Revelation" for those who
>> don't know my numbering system) in 17 hours, 36 minutes, 7 seconds,
>> bringing the total time up to 4 days, 10 hours, 5 minutes, 10 seconds.
>
>*blink* *blink blink* WOW!
>
>I feel good to just get thru a level a weekend! Good job! :)
>McG.

Don't congratulate me too soon. This refers to game-time, not real-time. The
time accumulated was played over the course of about two or three months.

Paul E Kiefer Jr wrote:

> In article <418F2CCD.9471D74F@ix.nospam.netcom.com>, Gary Mitchell
> <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> writes:
>
> >> Sort of. This was a separate level published by the London Times in
> >> partnership with EIDOS to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the discovery
> >of
> >> King Tut's Tomb. Hence "LT". I designated it as "4A" because it came out
> >> after "The Last Revelation" and was based on the same engine.
> >
> >I share Tim's confusion. I've never heard it called that, it's
> >always been just "the Times Level." IMO, calling it 4A is a bit
> >misleading. The Times Level may use TR 4's engine, but it's not
> >part of that game.
> >
> > -- G
>
> My mistake. I didn't realize that it was just one single level until I played
> it last night. The "4A" (actually, I prefer "4-A") is strictly for my
> reference only. Your mileage may vary.

If anything can be called TR 4A (or 4-A, or TR 4 gold, or whatever), IMO
it has to be TR C (TR 5). That played just like the gold levels of the
previous three games. The story in each game has been self-contained,
except the gold levels continue the theme of their respective games.
That's exactly what TR 5 did. The Times level though, was something
separate. To me, that one is like one of the earliest custom (user)
levels.

-- G

pkieferjr@aol.com (Paul E Kiefer Jr) wrote in message news:<20041107113827.06525.00000038@mb-m24.aol.com>...
> In article <45eedd97.0411070540.7673f537@posting.google.com>,
> paul2468y@yahoo.co.uk (Paul H) writes:
>
> >I had been trying to beat 4 minutes for some time but the best I had
> >managed was 4 minutes 11 seconds. But yesterday I finally did it in 3
> >minutes 57 seconds. That was on a fairly slow PC with just a Celeron
> >433 processor and a 48X CD Rom drive - I don't know if that really
> >makes any difference.
>
> Try it with all the secrets. I've managed to make it down to 10 minutes, 25
> seconds.

I'll try it that way. I can remember where two of the three secrets
are but I'll have to find out where the other one is before I try it.
I think I will need quite some practice to get anywhere near 10
minutes with having to get the secrets. I remember with the first one
having to do a backflip onto a rock and then immediately doing a
forward jump to get high enough to grab the ledge.

I have now got my time down to 3 minutes 40 seconds doing it without
pickups and secrets. I still made a few mistakes so I reckon 3 minutes
30 seconds is probably possible but I think that would probably be the
limit.

"> >
> >> I'm in the process of doing that now. I've managed to complete
> >> TR-1, TR-2, TR-2A and TR-3, and now I'm on TR-4. Sadly, TR-UB won't
> >> work on my computer and I've lost TR-3A for some reason, so I'll
> >> never be able to go through all of
> >> them. I'm up to 3 days, 16 hours, 29 minutes and 3 seconds total
> >> time on the ones that I've completed, and I'm up to 16 hours, 31
> >> minutes and 27 seconds on
> >> TR-4.
> >
> > Update: I've completed TR-4 ("The Last Revelation" for those who
> > don't know my numbering system) in 17 hours, 36 minutes, 7 seconds,
> > bringing the total time up to 4 days, 10 hours, 5 minutes, 10 seconds.
>
> *blink* *blink blink* WOW!
>
> I feel good to just get thru a level a weekend! Good job! :)
> McG.

The first time I played TR4 it took me 24 hours...............but it was
in the early days and I was using the..uh....walkthrough nearly all the
time..:)

"Paul H" <paul2468y@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>I don't know if anyone else has tried this before but I have been
> trying to find out what is the fastest possible time the easiest Tomb
> Raider level can be completed in. That is level 1 from TR1.
>
> I had been trying to beat 4 minutes for some time but the best I had
> managed was 4 minutes 11 seconds. But yesterday I finally did it in 3
> minutes 57 seconds. That was on a fairly slow PC with just a Celeron
> 433 processor and a 48X CD Rom drive - I don't know if that really
> makes any difference.
>
> When the level is completed, the time taken is shown on the screen
> along with the number of kills, pickups and secrets found, and that is
> the one I base it on. I don't waste any time on pickups or secrets and
> the important thing is to get all the jumps and grabs right because if
> you fall, it loses loads of time.
>
> The first time I tried this it took me 7 minutes 11 seconds, and I
> gradually got faster with practice. At first I was using the all
> weapons cheat but that was pointless because you don't need them and
> it only wasted time having to spin around etc.

Interesting question. But the problem is, I can't remember the times. But
since I did try TR1's first level a few times (cos the other levels weren't
working before Glidos), I can remember that level's... between 8-9 min,
including all secrets and pick-ups.

Maybe I'll get around to playing all of them again during my hols.

WY

>I don't know if anyone else has tried this before but I have been
> trying to find out what is the fastest possible time the easiest Tomb
> Raider level can be completed in. That is level 1 from TR1.

You can speed the game time up by saving, doing a pre-run to figure out
where and what Lara needs to go/do next, reloading, and doing the sequence,
then another save. I was doing this not for speed, but to create a set of
save files at "key" locations, for all of the tombraider series.

For example, Tomb Raider Last Revelation in less than 10 hours game time.

Bugs Bunny wrote:

> "> >
> > >
> > > Update: I've completed TR-4 ("The Last Revelation" for those who
> > > don't know my numbering system) in 17 hours, 36 minutes, 7 seconds,
> > > bringing the total time up to 4 days, 10 hours, 5 minutes, 10 seconds.
> >
> > *blink* *blink blink* WOW!
> >
> > I feel good to just get thru a level a weekend! Good job! :)
> > McG.
> >
> The first time I played TR4 it took me 24 hours...............but it was
> in the early days and I was using the..uh....walkthrough nearly all the
> time..:)

24 hours? Why the rush. ;)
Enjoy, savor, explore...

I don't see the appeal of racing through the levels. If you've
played them over and over, perhaps this is a way to squeeze one
more "challenge" out of them, but other than that...

-- G

I finally did it with the 3 secrets in 5 minutes 29 seconds, but I did
cheat a little. I used the savegame at several points including just
before going for the 2nd secret. That is the one where you have to
position Lara perfectly in the corner with the snow on the wall and
jump and grab the ledge.

Is it just me or does anyone else find that extremely difficult? I
tried and tried and tried to get the exact position to jump up but
most times it just didn't work. So what I did was start the whole
level again, save the game just before that point, then if I missed
more than 5 times, I just stopped and activated the savegame again.
Eventually I got it right. I also used the savegame on the 3rd secret
as I fell off the ledge leading into that hole in the wall the first
time I tried it.

The other timesaver was that I didn't pick up any of the medipacks,
not even those associated with the secrets. Maybe that is cheating
too.

If one could master the trick of getting that 2nd secret, it would be
possible to do the whole level, with all secrets, in around 5 minutes
straight through without using the savegame, and maybe an extra 30
seconds or so if you picked up all the medipacks.

The stats were:

Kills 7
Pickups 0
Secrets 3
Time 5:29

I've done that also!! ABout 10 minutes. Not sure of teh seconds though.

"Bugs Bunny" <elainemcdermid@lineone.net> wrote in message
> "> >
>>>
>>> Update: I've completed TR-4 ("The Last Revelation" for those who
>>> don't know my numbering system) in 17 hours, 36 minutes, 7 seconds,
>>> bringing the total time up to 4 days, 10 hours, 5 minutes, 10
>>> seconds.
>>
>> *blink* *blink blink* WOW!
>>
>> I feel good to just get thru a level a weekend! Good job! :)
>> McG.
>>
> The first time I played TR4 it took me 24 hours...............but
> it was in the early days and I was using the..uh....walkthrough
> nearly all the time..:)

24 hrs of your time or 24 hrs game time? I can't brag about anything, I
haven't even finished TR4 yet!
McG.

Paul H wrote:
> I finally did it with the 3 secrets in 5 minutes 29 seconds, but I did
> cheat a little. I used the savegame at several points including just
> before going for the 2nd secret. That is the one where you have to
> position Lara perfectly in the corner with the snow on the wall and
> jump and grab the ledge.

Spoiler
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
I had that problem originally but found that ACTION and UP always gets you
up there first time: no jumping required.

Andrew

Tim

"Andrew Jackson" <alj@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Paul H wrote:
> > I finally did it with the 3 secrets in 5 minutes 29 seconds, but I did
> > cheat a little. I used the savegame at several points including just
> > before going for the 2nd secret. That is the one where you have to
> > position Lara perfectly in the corner with the snow on the wall and
> > jump and grab the ledge.
> >
> Spoiler
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> I had that problem originally but found that ACTION and UP always gets you
> up there first time: no jumping required.

Do you think it's an intentional "puzzle" or just a bug? I don't recall
needing "Action" and "Up" anywhere else in the game.

"Andrew Jackson" <alj@nospam.com> wrote in message news:<yeKdnRECNI0bPw_cRVnytw@eclipse.net.uk>...
> Paul H wrote:
> > I finally did it with the 3 secrets in 5 minutes 29 seconds, but I did
> > cheat a little. I used the savegame at several points including just
> > before going for the 2nd secret. That is the one where you have to
> > position Lara perfectly in the corner with the snow on the wall and
> > jump and grab the ledge.
> >
> Spoiler
> .
> .
> .

Thanks for that great tip. It works perfectly now.

4 minutes 56 seconds, 7 kills, 0 pickups, 3 secrets.

Here are three tips to substantially reduce the time.

1. Instead of just running, use repeated forward jumps with short runs
on long stretches where there is no manoeuvring to do.

2. As you enter the room with two swing bridges, instead of running
around to the right side of the first bridge to cross it, do a running
jump to the left side of that bridge and grab the ledge. Try to do it
without stopping, i.e. run into the room and keep the same run going
to approach the edge to jump from. This is quite difficult because as
you go around the last corner, you only get a partial view of the edge
at first. Also the jump has to be timed perfectly. I usually fall to
the ground where the two wolves are and so just stop the game and
restart because that loses far too much time. Sometimes you can jump
to the left side of the ledge and pull straight up but other times you
will end up too far to the right, where the bridge part ends, but you
just shimmy a little to the left then pull up.

3. In the room with the two wolves where the switch is partly hidden
behind a bush, after pulling that switch, do a sideways step (or two)
to the left, then immediately do a sideways full leap. This will land
Lara on the long stone in between the switch and the door. Then
immediately turn to face the next platform where the door is and do a
short running jump to there and go through the door. That saves lots
of time having to run around to that platform.

All of TR Last Revelation in under 10 hours.
(Last savegame just before exit is 9hours 50 minutes).

McGrandpa wrote:

> "Bugs Bunny" <elainemcdermid@lineone.net> wrote in message
> > "> >

> >> *blink* *blink blink* WOW!
> >>
> >> I feel good to just get thru a level a weekend! Good job! :)
> >> McG.
> >>
> > The first time I played TR4 it took me 24 hours...............but
> > it was in the early days and I was using the..uh....walkthrough
> > nearly all the time..:)
>
> 24 hrs of your time or 24 hrs game time? I can't brag about anything, I
> haven't even finished TR4 yet!
> McG.

<GASP> How could you? :/

So, what's the last level you completed?

-- G