Closed

Need to Expand Partition Size

February 4, 2005 9:29:01 PM

Hi,
I just got my Service Pack 2 and tried to install it, but don't have
enough free space on my C:/ partition (FAT32 File System type). I have
15.97GB allocated to this partition, but only 698MB is free. Somehow, I
have a D: partition that has 39.89GB of which ALL of it is free! So, is
there a way, withoutlosing my data and operating system, that I can increase
the size of the C: partition and decrease the size of D: partition ???

Thanks in advance for the help
Jerry

More about : expand partition size

Anonymous
February 4, 2005 11:33:48 PM

JerryRugs wrote:
> I just got my Service Pack 2 and tried to install it, but don't have
> enough free space on my C:/ partition (FAT32 File System type). I
> have
> 15.97GB allocated to this partition, but only 698MB is free.
> Somehow, I have a D: partition that has 39.89GB of which ALL of it is
> free! So, is there a way, withoutlosing my data and operating
> system, that I can increase the size of the C: partition and decrease
> the size of D: partition ???

Move your "My Documents" to your D.
Move all other files you have created and saved to C: (Desktop files,
folders on the C, etc) to the D drive.
Use Disk Cleanup...
Uninstall some applications and reinstall the ones you need to the D drive..

If all that doesn't give you enough - backup your files to external media
and purchase something like Partition Magic and resize your C drive..

--
<- Shenan ->
February 6, 2005 9:37:01 PM

In that instance,youre best bet is to run the File transfer wizard,set
computer
as old,run the data to a new folder that you create,then save
files,settings,etc
to it,when its thru,transfer the data to a cd.Then reinstall xp,increase
C:,better
yet,boot to xp cd.recovery,press enter for password,then type:D iskPart In
DiskPart,delete the partitions,create one,then press Esc key,then type:EXIT
Reboot to xp cd,this time select,install xp,it'll format and install
automatically.
By the way,let it format in ntfs file system,it'll save space,plus FAT32 is
really
an outdated format,youll see the benifits in ntfs imediatly.

"JerryRugs" wrote:

> Hi,
> I just got my Service Pack 2 and tried to install it, but don't have
> enough free space on my C:/ partition (FAT32 File System type). I have
> 15.97GB allocated to this partition, but only 698MB is free. Somehow, I
> have a D: partition that has 39.89GB of which ALL of it is free! So, is
> there a way, withoutlosing my data and operating system, that I can increase
> the size of the C: partition and decrease the size of D: partition ???
>
> Thanks in advance for the help
> Jerry
Related resources
July 7, 2008 5:12:20 AM

I googled expand partition found some information bellow,hope it helpful!

http://support-web.acer-euro.com/app/csd/etkdb.nsf/4b7a...

And some free partition manager:

paragon http://www.partition-manager.com/
I have not used,no comment!

easeus partition manager
I download from brother soft
http://www.brothersoft.com/easeus-partition-manager-518...
It worked OK, but failed when i tried to merge partition. so i have to allocated the free space to another partition. Partition magic may merge two partitions which will cost you $69.95

July 7, 2008 11:33:12 AM

@Anonymous

Quote:
So, is there a way, without losing my data and operating system, that I can increase the size of the C: partition and decrease the size of D: partition ???

Partition Magic is the best IMO for doing exactly that and not messing you up, its already been recommended to you previously, and I second the recommendation.
A fully functional 30 day trial used to be available before Symantec took it over, however since then I do not know if the fully functional trial is still in effect, probably not.
May 22, 2010 9:00:42 PM

Yes you can do..
Steps : -
Start > my computer (right click) > manage
Disk management > right click on the logical drive (e.g. D:/) > Extend drive volume.
Then u can choose the amount of you want to increase it to..

Good Luck
August 24, 2011 9:10:31 PM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
!