Film student's first build fail.

gabriel23579

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
so, im trying to build my computer and its been a disaster. here are my specs.

1. GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
2. Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Model BX80601930
3. COOLER MASTER GX Series RS750-ACAAE3-US 750W ATX12V v2.31 SLI Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply
4. ZOTAC ZT-20109-10P GeForce GTS 250 1GB 256-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

whenever i power up this set-up with cpu plugged in. the computer turns on and off with no post. then i unplug the cpu and the motherboard seems to work. i get the same results in the case and outside, with ram and without, using a different power supply, different outlet (and house), with the stock heat sink and with and aftermarket . . . i even rma'd my first i7 and got a new one sent on the advice of gigabyte.

ive gone through the 'what to do if you don't post' sticky with no success. here is a video i made to demonstrate. what i wonder about is the red light that flashes at 0:11 and 0:19, but really i dont have any experience to know whether this is bad or not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYPSVAdaR80

let me know if i am missing any relevant info.

Did you make sure everything was plugged in? The eight pin CPU power connector in the eight pin CPU power socket, right next to the heatsink with 'Ultra Durable' on it. ( I watched the video but couldn't see whether it was plugged in or not sorry)

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
Do you have RAM in your system? From the video I see not.

Then system won't boot.

You need all parts like RAM, Hard drive etc if you want a working system, just what you listed isn't going to do.

Also put it in a case. Putting it down on a carpet (do I see right) is not particularly wise with all the static electricity issues

gabriel23579

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
ok so first, sorry about the lack of quality on the video, low light makes my blackberry curve's camera even grainer. so, yeah at the beginning of this video i turn the computer on with the cpu power plugged in, which is where the system powers up and then immediately back down a couple of times. then i turn the power (you see when i reach across the board), unplug the cpu power, and turn the computer back on, and in this case the motherboard stays powered up. you can see the lights to the lower right stay on at this point.

again, sorry about the quality of the vid, the system is on a wood floor and ive been extra careful about static. ive tried this both inside the case and out -- in this video all of the ram is actually in, but i have also tried it with different amounts of sticks in (and also none). i am not trying to get the system to boot at this point, just to get to some post test beeps - i hope to work on any boot issues once i get to that point.

gabriel23579

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
"Could be many things to be honest."

i got that far myself at least . . .

been running the gauntlet with tech support at gigabyte and intel with not much successful advice besides 'sent it all back.' super frustrating . . . i guess i should have more friends experienced in building computers . . . damn you film studies program!

banthracis

Distinguished
Read
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-boot-video-problems

edit: Ok you did read it, now tell us what steps in that post you did and the results.

It's important that everything is plugged in correctly.
Also, what RAM do you have?

You won't get beep codes without a case speaker. If you have one, then look at MOBO manual to what beep codes work.

If you read the post above, you'll know to try a minimal build called breadboarding with RAM, GPU, MOBO, CPU and PSU only. This should post and give a no HD error.

If this doesn't POST then one of the above components it bad and you'll just need to swap each out with one known to work until you find the part or parts that are not functional.

gabriel23579

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
thanks for the help everyone.

i went through the problems list and got the exact same results for everything that i did. correct plug, standoffs, video card, connectors, one stick of RAM, correct slot, no static, system speaker installed, reset cmos . . . i moved on to the breadboarding page and swapped ram sticks and slots, PSUs, went with and without GPU, and even had newegg send me a new i7 cpu last week to no avail. the only thing that i can think of left is the motherboard . . . so im having that rma'd as well. :(

i'll let you know how it goes when i get the mobo back.