Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Can I use a different computer's powercord with my PSU?

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Computer
  • Power
  • Components
Last response: in Components
August 3, 2010 6:04:25 PM

Hi, I accidentally left my PSU power cord (the one that connects my PSU to an outlet) back at my dorm, but I came back to my hometown for the summer. Would it be alright to take the power cord off one of my parents' computers and connect to mine, or can I only use the one came with my PSU?

My PSU: Antec Truepower 750
My parents: From a computer they got from Fry's about an year ago (It has a max output of 350W if that helps).

Thank you for the help.

More about : computer powercord psu

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
August 3, 2010 6:54:49 PM

Yes, as long as it has the same type of connectors to the PSU and wall socket.
August 3, 2010 7:54:16 PM

Not advisable unless you check the cord's thickness first. Some of the OEM cords are cheaply made with skimpy insulation. If you start to smell a funny burning or hot rubber smell, that would be the cord. I know as it's happened to me.
m
l
Related resources
a c 165 ) Power supply
August 3, 2010 8:25:59 PM

qazwsx16 said:
Hi, I accidentally left my PSU power cord (the one that connects my PSU to an outlet) back at my dorm, but I came back to my hometown for the summer. Would it be alright to take the power cord off one of my parents' computers and connect to mine, or can I only use the one came with my PSU?

My PSU: Antec Truepower 750
My parents: From a computer they got from Fry's about an year ago (It has a max output of 350W if that helps).

Thank you for the help.

yes you will be fine, ive mixed and matched cords from different brands all the time.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
August 3, 2010 8:36:08 PM

Yes, you should be fine, they are made to a international standard, some differ by having better fire protection than, noise insulation etc etc, but don't worry.
m
l
August 4, 2010 10:42:37 AM

Best answer selected by qazwsx16.
m
l
!