Solved

Can I use a different computer's powercord with my PSU?

Hi, I accidentally left my PSU power cord (the one that connects my PSU to an outlet) back at my dorm, but I came back to my hometown for the summer. Would it be alright to take the power cord off one of my parents' computers and connect to mine, or can I only use the one came with my PSU?

My PSU: Antec Truepower 750
My parents: From a computer they got from Fry's about an year ago (It has a max output of 350W if that helps).

Thank you for the help.
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about computer powercord
  1. Best answer
    Yes, as long as it has the same type of connectors to the PSU and wall socket.
  2. Not advisable unless you check the cord's thickness first. Some of the OEM cords are cheaply made with skimpy insulation. If you start to smell a funny burning or hot rubber smell, that would be the cord. I know as it's happened to me.
  3. you should be able to buy a replacement cable

http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=MjI1MQ==
  4. qazwsx16 said:
    Hi, I accidentally left my PSU power cord (the one that connects my PSU to an outlet) back at my dorm, but I came back to my hometown for the summer. Would it be alright to take the power cord off one of my parents' computers and connect to mine, or can I only use the one came with my PSU?

My PSU: Antec Truepower 750
    My parents: From a computer they got from Fry's about an year ago (It has a max output of 350W if that helps).

Thank you for the help.

yes you will be fine, ive mixed and matched cords from different brands all the time.
  5. Yes, you should be fine, they are made to a international standard, some differ by having better fire protection than, noise insulation etc etc, but don't worry.
  6. Best answer selected by qazwsx16.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Computer Power Components