Sign in with
Your question

Would I have to format all of my HDDs if I move from MBR to GPT?

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
July 21, 2012 4:41:48 AM

I'm going to be getting a new mobo with UEFI, and am interested in using GPT over MBR because I heard boot times on GPT are slightly faster(if that's even true), but I have a few questions...

The most important one is, will I lose any data on secondary drives (I will be formatting my main drive, an SSD, when reinstalling windows 7 anyway) if they need to be formatted to support GPT? Or can I just keep them as-is and Windows will find the drives just fine and I only need to set the main drive to GPT?

And do I need a certain type of HDD/SSD that supports GPT? Or do all drives work with it?

I've tried researching myself but I can't find any answers to these two questions.

More about : format hdds move mbr gpt

July 21, 2012 6:27:49 PM

So GPT will not work on drivers lower than 2.2TB?

How will I be able to install windows if my UEFI board requires a GPT drive to boot from, and I don't have any drives over 2.2TB to support it?

I've looked everywhere, including here, but I can't find anyone with these same questions.
m
l
Related resources
July 22, 2012 4:44:59 AM

GPT can be used on any size (or type) of drive (including a USB FLASH drive, if you want to). Any boot speed increase will be more to do with UEFI than GPT, UEFI boots using all processors/cores, MBR (initially) boots with only one processor/core. To the best of my knowledge you can't (currently) convert from MBR to GPT without losing data, this may change when more GPT tools become available.
m
l
a c 93 G Storage
July 22, 2012 5:05:57 AM

Sadly to convert an MBR disk to a GPT disk all partitions have to be completely destroyed which means that all data on the drive will be lost
m
l
a b G Storage
July 24, 2012 8:13:37 AM

Pinhedd said:
Sadly to convert an MBR disk to a GPT disk all partitions have to be completely destroyed which means that all data on the drive will be lost

There already have software could convert disk between MBR and GPT (data disk only) without data loss. In his situation, prefer a fresh installation after formatted to GPT.
m
l
!