To start, this is my first system build and it's been 12 days so far without issue. I'm hoping some of you could shed some light on a possible issue!
First the specs:
ASUS M4A785TD-M EVO AM3 - rev. 1.02g - BIOS v2103
AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL
CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX PSU
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
Everything left at stock, have not fiddled with any BIOS settings, just plugged and played.
Now the problems:
The weird thing began a few hours ago when I was in the middle of backing up a movie and my system froze. I gave it about 10 minutes and nothing changed. Now onto my steps..
1. I did a hard reset and when it booted back up it was frozen on the "loading asus express gate" screen and was like that for a few minutes then shut down on it's own.
2. Hit the power button and the my monitor told me there were no connections. All fans spinning, motherboard power light on, everything showed that they were getting power, just no video or bios beep. I did several resets and no change.
3. Thought I would start with the ram. I removed both ram sticks, booted and received a series of beeps. I shut down and put stick 1 into DIMM_A1 and nothing, step 2 symptoms, did this several times. Turned off and put stick 2 in and I got a beep, BIOS starts, all is well! Then about 10 seconds in BIOS it freezes, no change after 20 seconds or so.
Reset and nothing would happen this time, got the same symptoms as step 2. I did this a few times.
4. Put each ram stick in DIMM_B1 and and booted up, loaded windows and left for several minutes no problem. Did this a few times with each stick. I thought slot A1 was toast.. nope.
5. I did step 3 all over again and everything went just fine again. Booted down and put both sticks back into A1 and B1 and I'm back up and running as before.
My question is, is this something to be worried about? My system is still very new and haven't had any problems whatsoever until now. Could this be my motherboard or RAM, and if one or the other is showing signs of dying already.. time to RMA.
If anyone needs and more specs, let me know and I'll pull up what i can.
Been doing memtests for the last few days with each stick in each slot. Both B slots produce no errors with either stick, while both A slots require half a dozen attempts to post, and when it does come up I get so many errors I have to abort the test. Bummer..
I had something like this with my board and it's frustrating. I ended up taking my whole board out to search for problems. When I looked on the backside of the board I seen 2 pieces of metal touching. I spread them apart a little and looked over at the cpu also. The thermal paste (from stock) was splashed over one side and wasn't even. I redone this also. Lastly I took the sata wires from the cd drive and hard drive and routed them to connectors 1 & 2. When I turned it on, it worked! Asus was probably gonnna charge me an arm and a leg and "waiting on parts" for over a month from what I read. I pat myself on the back.