HDD died or ...?

Folks,

It appears my HD "died" today. It started when I booted up my computer and I got a screen that said, "Please insert a bootable media... something along those lines. My BIOS did not recognize it either. I swapped out my SATA 3 cables for SATA 2 cables and that didn't work. I also tried a different SATA power connector and unplugged and re plugged the connector to a new spot. Could it be that my HDD is dead because Windows was giving me error and warnings prior to the death of my HD. I sent my HD to RMA and hopefully to have a working, new HD by Monday. The brand is HGST/Hitachi and my comp. is iBUYPOWER. What do you guys think?
3 answers Last reply
More about died
  1. Sounds like it died, BIOS not finding it and moving it between connectors confirms that.
  2. I think if you've already RMA'd the drive you've resovled the issue already.
  3. timesvan32 said:
    Folks,

It appears my HD "died" today. It started when I booted up my computer and I got a screen that said, "Please insert a bootable media... something along those lines. My BIOS did not recognize it either. I swapped out my SATA 3 cables for SATA 2 cables and that didn't work. I also tried a different SATA power connector and unplugged and re plugged the connector to a new spot. Could it be that my HDD is dead because Windows was giving me error and warnings prior to the death of my HD. I sent my HD to RMA and hopefully to have a working, new HD by Monday. The brand is HGST/Hitachi and my comp. is iBUYPOWER. What do you guys think?

This was most likely windows reporting back the SMART status of the drive. These errors should not be ignored.
Ask a new question

Read More

SATA Hard Drives HD Storage