Sign in with
Your question
Solved

RAM efficiency for 3D rendering

Last response: in Memory
February 23, 2011 11:16:21 AM

Hi guys,

Which spec in a RAM is the most important or effective in terms of 3D renderings. The software I use is 3D S Max. I've asked some of the people at the computer store (probably not the best place :kaola:  ), and I tend to get mixed answers.

Some say that more RAM is king, some say the higher frequency rules, and some also say that the lower latency RAM is the holy grail. Ok, and this one "expert" claimed that buying the most expensive branded RAM they had would make it render at "warp speeds". (Needless to say I am not going back to that guy for advice :non:  )

I am hoping that someone with experience could help clear this up for me.

Might the advantages be miniscule that it might be better for me to invest in other areas of the pc?

Thanks for any help guys.
a c 347 } Memory
February 23, 2011 11:55:30 AM

The quality of the RAM IC is tops, and a generic answer is High Frequencies AND Low tight CAS. For 3D-Rendering 'More RAM is Better', and if this is Production then ECC RAM is the standard. The 'caveat' is the Frequency, CAS, etc all is dependent on the CPU's 'IMC', OC, and CPU type. Example the new Sandy Bridge CPUs see little real benefit and in some cases a loss in performance with RAM that has very high frequencies and often the 1333 MHz CAS 8 is matching 2133 MHz performance.

So the real question is 'How do you know' the answer is the same Benchmark Testing per your platform and CPU.
m
l
February 25, 2011 1:23:45 PM

Sorry for the late reply jaquith.

Thanks for your feedback. I guess I should have mentioned this in the beginning. I am planning to new build in the next couple of weeks, or until the sandy bridges and their motherboards next shipment arrive here.

I'll be buying the i7 2600k, and I am planning to pair it up with 8GB (4GB X 2) Kingston Hyper-X 1600mhz, CL9 ram.

I tried looking for who are the IC producers for Kingston's rams, but couldn't find it. Will need to look harder I guess :p 

Do you think this set up is sufficient? Or do you believe that I should invest a bit more to get another type fo brand, or different specs of ram?

This computer won't be used primarily for just rendering, as it will also be my everyday use computer. And it won't see rendering always, only when I get some projects and stuffs.

Again, thanks for your advice and sharing your knowledge.
m
l
Related resources
a c 347 } Memory
February 25, 2011 2:27:05 PM

Great Sandy Bridge RAM article -> http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/memory/2011/01/11/the-...

If you don't have RAM now then look at the G.SKILL Ripjaws X.
Side-by-Side -> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...|20-231-445^20-231-445-TS,20-231-431^20-231-431-TS,20-231-429^20-231-429-TS,20-231-446^20-231-446-TS

My picks:
2 Sets of G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24 @ 1.5v F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Matched Set G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 9-9-9-24 @ 1.5v F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXL http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
February 26, 2011 10:41:19 AM

Thanks for the article! It certainly made my choices easier!

Well the problem is, I am not in the US, and I've looked at our local online shopping and found only 2 G.SKILL ram were available. The ECO series and the PI series. They certainly look impresive and had really impressive latency levels, but, their 4GB kit actually cost around 40% more than Kingston's 8GB kit.

From the article, it looked liked that except for multitasking, we won't see a really huge advantage to lower latency RAMs. Do you believe that given the price difference, the G.SKILL ram would be the wisest choice?
m
l

Best solution

a c 347 } Memory
February 26, 2011 2:49:04 PM

I looked at the entire article and it depends upon how you 'weigh' performance, and what Apps they overlooked. That is one of several Sandy Bridge RAM benchmark articles. You could make arguments of 2133 MHz RAM + SB; variables: Apps, Components - CPU + MOBO, OC, etc.

My general answer for Sandy Bridge RAM is Matched Sets of 1600 or 1333 MHz with low tight CAS {8-8-8 or 9-9-9} plus low voltage (1.50v @ rated frequency). From a quality RAM Mfg: G.SKILL, Corsair, Mushkin or Kingston.
February 27, 2011 3:59:21 AM

Thanks jaquith!

Great! That piece of information helps me in making my decision. I can find Corsair and Kingston rams easily here. Mushkin and G.SKILL are a bit harder to come by, thus making them much more expensive.

So I will go for a 1600mhz with either cl9 or cl8 from either Corsair or Kingston. I'll take Corsair if the price is not too much of a difference, else I will go for the Kingston ram.

Thanks again jaquith!
m
l
March 6, 2011 12:39:40 AM

Best answer selected by rekjl.
m
l
!