PCMCIA slots need more power??? HELP!

Tags:
  • Configuration
  • PCMCIA
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
February 23, 2013 10:01:42 PM

Greetings Tom's,

One of the last components I am adding to this old Gateway Solo 9100 Laptop is a PCMCIA wireless card, specifically a Cisco Aironet 802.11 a/b/g card (part number AIR-CB21AG-A-K9).

Now, I just received the card yesterday and I am stumped :fou:  . I know my PCMCIA slots work (I have 2), as I have a modem that works on both of these slots without any problems. My system does meet at least the minimum requirements that Cisco needs (32-bit Cardbus slot - check! - 300 MHz processor - I have 400 MHz, I have WinXP SP3, they need 128 MB RAM, I have 384 MB, and a ton of HDD space).

I've checked everywhere, even in BIOS to see if there is some power management settings I could change - nothing.

What happens specifically is that I plug it in and the PCMCIA slot makes a "popping" sound in the speakers when something is inserted (happens with the modem too). The Cisco card does that too, but infrequently.

I checked Device Manager - nothing in there either.

I also tried the card in another laptop (Dell Inspiron 2200 running XP SP3) - works fine.

Any ideas???

Thanks!
VV5

More about : pcmcia slots power

February 25, 2013 3:45:31 PM

You didn't mention anything about drivers. Some devices need drivers installed prior to first insertion in order to be detected by device manager.
m
l
February 25, 2013 3:50:34 PM

Hawkeye, ok I will try that, but I did try it in my Linux partition (Using Puppy Wary 5.3) and if you're familiar with Linux at all (no offense) I did verify that the card/socket is not getting power, even though it does work with a modem.

But I will try your idea and keep you posted.

Thanks!
VV5
m
l
Related resources
February 25, 2013 3:51:33 PM

Sorry addendum, drivers I thought I could add after install (which I did in the Dell), but I'll try and install before hand and will keep you posted.
m
l
February 25, 2013 6:17:34 PM

Well, checking the manual for the card should tell you. Like I said, only some devices require drivers to be loaded before 1st install and I think that's mainly to update the registry so that windows knows which driver to selct when inserted for the 1st time.

I hadn't noticed thet you had said it wasn't listed in the device manager. this could be an issue. It didn't even list it under "other devices"? If it's in other devices or otherwise marked with a yellow exclmation mark in device manager, then it's a driver issue or the driver isn't installed.
m
l
February 25, 2013 6:29:25 PM

Hawkeye,

Also, was not listed in device manager under the Cardbus (Cirrus PD 6832 if that helps). I didn't see it elsewhere in Device Manager but will check that when I do what you said.

Thanks!
VV5
m
l
February 26, 2013 1:19:07 AM

Hawkeye,

Sorry for the late reply. Here's the latest.

I took the Cisco driver from my Dell laptop (which was the latest one) and tried it on the Gateway. Nothing.

I also tried a link that someone sent me from Cisco - nothing.

I think I'm stuck with an non-updated Cirrus Logic PD6832 CardBus, and I think that problem is exclusive of WinXP or Linux or Cisco, since I don't think they started putting out the card until 2003, and the latest driver I have for the cardbus is 2001.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
VV5
m
l

Best solution

February 26, 2013 10:53:56 AM

Are you running the latest bios on this computer? If not, check the pc manufacturer's web site for one. Hopefully they give a description of the bios fixes. Perhaps there is one that pertains to the cardbus.

Other than that, I'm out of suggestions.
February 26, 2013 11:52:30 AM

Yes I am running the latest BIOS.
m
l
February 27, 2013 1:10:11 PM

Best answer selected by VictorVictor5.
m
l
February 27, 2013 1:12:56 PM

Hawkeye I'll give you the right answer since you helped me out. I ended up getting a USB adapter instead. XP is fine with it, now it's just a matter of configuring with Linux.

Thanks!
VV5
m
l
February 27, 2013 2:43:42 PM

I'm glad the USB adapter worked for you. Sorry I couldn't be of more help with the PCMCIA slot though.
m
l