• Hard Drives
  • SATA
  • Boot
  • Windows Vista
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
July 21, 2012 2:05:22 PM

Hello,
A secondary sata hard drive shows up at boot (sometimes) and then later on will disappear. It may reappear and then disappear again. Drive has been running on a Vista system for several years with no apparent problem. What would make a drive disappear and then reappear?

More about : hard drive appears disappears

a b G Storage
July 21, 2012 2:14:48 PM

What is the motherboard model ?
m
l
July 21, 2012 7:29:00 PM

Asus P5B
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
July 21, 2012 7:33:18 PM

I remember that particular board had some issues with drive detection at POST (boot). What you can try is to update the BIOS to the latest version, then see if the issue goes away. If not, and you are not using an SSD, try setting the jumpers on the hard drive to restrict operation to SATA-I. You may have to look on the internet on how this is done and if your particular model of HDD supports this via jumpers. On some of the older boards, recognition of newer SATA-II, or III drives have problems, and the work around is to use jumpers at the back of the drive to limit the protocol to SATA-I.
m
l
a c 93 G Storage
July 21, 2012 7:34:15 PM

garywin said:
Hello,
A secondary sata hard drive shows up at boot (sometimes) and then later on will disappear. It may reappear and then disappear again. Drive has been running on a Vista system for several years with no apparent problem. What would make a drive disappear and then reappear?

This is typical of impending hardware failure. Please download Crystal Disk Info and run it to get an idea of what the hard drive's health looks like. Please keep in mind that certain kinds of failures may not be reported and even a 'healthy' hard drive can fail.
m
l
a b G Storage
July 21, 2012 7:36:39 PM

Pinhedd said:
This is typical of impending hardware failure. Please download Crystal Disk Info and run it to get an idea of what the hard drive's health looks like. Please keep in mind that certain kinds of failures may not be reported and even a 'healthy' hard drive can fail.

Absolutely, this too... If you have been having problems with reading from that disk, this scenario is even more likely.
m
l
!