Sign in with
Your question

Hosting your own web site

Last response: in Networking
September 15, 2004 6:21:43 PM

Hey guys im trying to host my own website on my machine.... I have a domain name but I need information faq how to to get started. Can anyone point me in the right direction of where I can get this information.
thanks
jonathan

More about : hosting web site

September 15, 2004 8:05:03 PM

I can make you a quick little guide if you tell me a little more about your setup. Hosting a website is REALLY easy.
Do you have a broadband connection? is it dsl or cable?
Do you have a router?
Do you reall want to host it on your workstation or make a dedicated computer for it? Running it on your desktop machine will require that it is on all the time and slow it down, I highly recommend running it on a dedicated machine. A 486 or better w/ a network card can host a website. Running it on a separate machine will also allow you to easily run other services like FTP or even SMTP/POP3 email securly.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>
September 15, 2004 8:45:29 PM

folken,
I have a Cable connection, I do not have a router, I want to host it on my workstation for know how then when I get a new machine it will have it be dedicated. I already have a domain reserved.
Related resources
September 15, 2004 9:39:50 PM

Ok, here is some info for setting up a basic website.
First of all, have you made an account with a DNS server for your domain name? If not you can get free DNS service through ZoneEdit.com.
Second, install a webserver program. There are many free ware webservers out there and windows even has one built in. I know people don't like the built in IIS webserver but it does a fine job for a little personal webserver.
The IIS Webserver can be installed by going to add/remove windows components, IIS, World Wide Web Service.
After that is installed it will appear under control panel if you want to do any special configuration, defaults will work fine.
If you have any firewall software running open port 80 to your machine.
The IP doesn't usually change much for a cable connection so a program that automatically updates your domain's ip with the dns servers isn't to necissary. If you would like a program that updates that ip automatically just incase your ip changes here is a list of programs you could use: <A HREF="http://www.dyndns.org/services/dyndns/clients.html" target="_new">Dynamic DNS updaters</A>

Now just drop your html files in the directory the windows IIS (or what every 3rd party app you choose) created and they will be hosted on the web. The directory can be found under it's config.

That should cover everything, if something doesn't seem to be adding up let me know. I can go into more detail where ever you like. I'm used to making webservers out of little linux boxs and it has been a while since I did it on a windows box so I'm liable to have forgotten something :) 

September 16, 2004 10:35:31 AM

folken, thats some impressive system you've got there. What can you clock that up to?

<pre> \|/
jlanka (. .)
___________oOOo_(_(_)_)_oOOo___________
</pre><p>
September 16, 2004 11:47:39 PM

I'm wanting to know that myself actually. I got my lanparty ultra b when it still had a first gen nforce2 chipset so it literally would not go over 166fsb. After fighting it for weeks I just decided to RMA it, I'm waitin for it now. The highest I have seen my comp go was 1.8ghz (166x11) due to a crappy mobo :( 
With that cooling system I should be able to oc to what ever the limit of my hardware is. I found that out while fightin my mobo to get 200fsb out of it, I could set any vcore I wanted and my temps wouldnt change. Same goes for my 9800pro, I oc it to 450gpu, 768ddr, w/ no temp change or performance problems. I start gettin some artifacts at about 475gpu :) 

September 17, 2004 11:05:01 AM

report back here when you get the new board cranked up

<pre> \|/
jlanka (. .)
___________oOOo_(_(_)_)_oOOo___________
</pre><p>
September 21, 2004 5:27:11 PM

i had a look at doing this too, still have to get broadband but anyway. if your isp gives you a static ip address (not usually) then you can give this to the domain name company and they will manually assiocated your ip with your domain. if your isp assigns you a dynamic ip address (changes in the 15min to 3day time scale) your have to spend more money on a dns service that will rapidly update ip addr and domain name assiocation.

Homer: There’s 3 ways to do things, the right way, the wrong way, and the max power way.
Bart: isn’t that the wrong way.
Homer: yea but faster.
!