How much of a difference with 1066MHz & 800 MHzram speed using photoshop

Rufous03

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
recently I have found that when I am operating PS CS5, I have hit a major slow down when trying to run another application, Just wondering if upgrading to 8GB ram (800Mhz ) from 4GB (1066 Mhz) will make a difference, The processor is an Intel(R) Core (TM)2 Quad CPU q6600 @ 2.40Ghz. I could upgrade the processor and MB, but I rally do not want to have to do that at this time.

Solution
You really want to clone exactly what you have now {Frequency, CAS Timings, Voltages and I prefer to match Brands}, and 1066 has different CAS timings running at 800 MHz; use CPUz and look at the JEDEC 'SPD' tab.

If you post both your current MOBO and RAM {I prefer a link to the RAM} I'll try to help more. CPUz - http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
Welcome to Tom's Forum! :)

Assuming your MOBO has 4 DIMM slots and you currently have {2X2GB} '4GB (1066 Mhz)' then get another MATCHING set of '4GB (1066 Mhz)'.

If you MUST replace your current RAM then '8GB ram (800Mhz )'. The Frequency difference between 800 MHz vs 1066 MHz is negligible {1~4%}.

Photoshop and any rendering App is more responsive to Quantity when the files are large. If the files are small then there won't be any subjective speed increase; minimal on a bench.

So the answer is primarily on 'File Size'. If there are other Apps stealing resources then run MSCONFIG -> select Diagnostic + Add Microsoft Services only and compare.

Rufous03

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
Thanks for the information, there seems to be one heck of a lot of stuff running on start-up, but being that I am not that computer smart, I am wary of what to turn off:
Canon my Printer
Microsoft windows OS
P17RunE
GrooveMonitor Utility
Avast
Microsoft Lifecam
SBSV2010/02/19
Adobe Acrobat
Adobe Reader and Acrobate Manager
MUI Start Menu Application.................Cyberlink
MUI Start Menu Application.................Cyberlink
Cyberlink MediaLibrary Service...........Cyberlink
MUI Start Menu Ap[plication................Cyberlink
Power DVD RC Service.........................Cyberlink
Power DVD Language Application........Cyberlink
Cyberlink brs.......................................Cyberlink
MUI Start Menu Application..................Cyberlink
MUI Start Menu Application..................Cyberlink
StartMen Application.............................Cyberlink
Quick Time
Gamma Tray
Calibration Loader
Adobe updater Startup Utility
Adobe CS5 Service Manager * Turned off
LF Firmware Autoupdate * Turned off
Nero Backitup * Turned offf
ProfileReminder 1.0 * Turned off
MagicDisc * turned off

Rufous03

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011

The raw files are not that bad, however the .tiff files run 50-60 MB, Just searching for RAM today, I think I found some that match what I am running DDR2 at 1066MHz. But now I m told unless I am overclocking I will not be getting 1066MHz, but 800 MHz. The more I dig, the more complicated it becomes!

PreferLinux

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Just make sure you close Photoshop often enough, or have its memory limit set low enough. After a bit of use, it will be using the maximum memory it's allowed, and won't release it until it is closed. It's not a memory leak (supposedly), it's a cache to speed up opening files you have already opened and later closed.

Rufous03

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011

Mother board is an NForce 680i SLI, current memory is made by Patriot PC2-8500 - 1066 MHz part Number PVS24g8500ELKR2 apparently no longer available http://www.patriotmem.com/products/detailp.jsp?prodline=5&catid=17&prodgroupid=75&id=710&type=1, the only other PC2 sets I have found are by Kingston part number KHX8500D2K2/4G http://www.valueram.com/datasheets/KHX8500D2K2_4G.pdf
Thanks for all your assistance
Wally

Used http://www.amazon.com/Patriot-PVS24G8500ELKR2-Performance-PC2-8500-5-5-5-15/dp/B001DXCZPG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1298572362&sr=8-1

Kingston HyperX T1 Series http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104098 same CAS, Speed, the voltage is 2.2 vs 2.1 so you may need to set the DRAM Voltage 2.1~2.2~2.3v.

note: frequently upon filling all DIMM slots often it's necessary to increase the DRAM Voltage to ensure that all RAM sticks are properly powered.

You can also contact Patriot to see if they are willing to sell any inventory directly, often they will.

Rufous03

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011

As i mentioned arlier, I am over my head with this, Patriot has discontinued the modules I have, and from what i see in the MB manual memory is set on auto which appears to be 1.85 v, probably just as easy to switch out the entire RAM and go with 800MHz

Rufous03

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011

Just checked the BIOS settings, all voltages are running on auto CPU 1.23v CPUFS 1.2, RAM 1.850v, nForce SPP 1.2, Nforce MCP 1.50v
HTnForce SPP<->MCP 1.20v All of which is greek to me! I can bump the voltages up on all, but, really not sure what the heck I am doing when I play with it, so far the machine seems to have been working just fine as is other than the slow down in PS and a glitch in Windows 7 where I am unable to turn off default sound, everytime I reboot the default sound returns and I have saved the settings

The RAM settings and voltages are only if needed once you add more memory. I wasn't suggesting that you change them now. I always manually set my RAM primarily "Auto" has a tendency yo over/under power the RAM; also because I want my RAM to be running at Rated frequency versus 'Default.'

Rufous03

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011

Thanks for all your assistance, you have gone over and above what I expected!

Wally

Rufous03

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011

Now THAT is interesting! Because when I am working I open and close several files, could be more than twenty in one session, But I have not noticed a problem until I started opening more than one image at a time and playing with layers