Sign in with
Your question

No Video Output, Computer Won't Boot - Please Help

Last response: in Motherboards
February 23, 2011 8:02:31 PM

I am fairly new to this forum and to forums in general, so please bear with me here.

I have a couple of interesting scenarios here, which are both causing me a lot of frustration. I will outline both below in as much detail as possible, and if anyone has any suggestions or solutions... it would be much appreciated.

To start with, here's the overall situation:

I built my computer from scratch about 4 years ago, and it has been running perfectly ever since. The most I've had to do is replace ram here and there and format and reinstall OS about once per year. The only problem that I have personally with it is the fact that I bought my motherboard without paying alot of attention. I intended to purchase a motherboard with crossfire compatibility and 4 slots for ram, and ended up without crossfire and only 2 slots, which brings me to the next part of my problem...

I bought a computer from a friend a few months ago with the intention of trading out his slightly older, but much more versatile motherboard for the one I had purchased originally. The other day, I decided to go ahead with this. I removed my motherboard from my case, along with all the components, and installed the other motherboard and reinstalled all components as they should have been. The computer I bought also had a very similar graphics card, so i decided to go ahead and install it along with mine (I don't have the crossfire bridge so i had to wait on that). I fired up the computer and everything worked, except it had a CMOS error. I didn't bother trying to figure the error out, so i just took the computer back apart and put my motherboard back in and put the computer back together as it was originally. When I fired it up, the computer wouldn't boot. It wouldn't kick my monitors on, keyboard didn't light up as it should, etc. I swapped out MY graphics card for the one that came with the friend's computer, and it worked. So i switched them back once more to double check, and my original Graphics card worked this time. Confused, I stupidly decided to start the process over, reinstalling the other motherboard to try and fix the CMOS error (which i did, with a new battery), but this time, this motherboard wouldn't boot, with either graphics card. I even tried using each individal ram stick in the master slot by itself to see if the ram was causing the problem (I've had this happen before), but no luck. I then put my motherboard back in again, installing MY original graphics card with it, and i got nothing upon starting it up.

At the moment, the only setup that is working is MY original motherboard with the graphics card from the other computer. I will list the system specs from both systems and what the combined result would have been, and hopefully someone can help. I appologize for the novel, but I wanted to make sure I didn't leave any piece of information out. Thanks

My PC:
Asus M2N-X Motherboard
HIS Radeon HD 2600 XT Graphics
Corsair CM2X2048-6400C5 5-5-5-18 Ram (2x 2048 DDR2)
Creative Soundblaster X-FI Sound
Netgear Rangemax wpn311 Network Adapter

Other PC:

ASUS A8N5X Motherboard

ATI Radeon X1950 Pro Graphics

Kingston KVR400x64c25/512 (2x 512 DDR)

Kingston KVR400/1GR (2x 1024 DDR)

My Original Goal:

ASUS A8N5X Motherboard

HIS Radeon HD 2600 XT 1st Graphics

ATI Radeon X1950 Pro 2nd Graphics

Kingston KVR400X64C25/512 (2x 512 DDR)

Kingston KVR400/1GR (2x 1024 DDR)

Creative Soundblaster X-FI Sound

Netgear Rangemax WPN311 Network Adapter

I'm not exactly sure what processor is in each motherboard, but I don't really think that is relavent. If it is, I'm sure i could find out. Please let me know if anyone can help out in anyway. This has become very frustrating. Thanks.

More about : video output computer boot

a c 1163 V Motherboard
February 23, 2011 9:54:32 PM

Looking past the motherboard difference of being AM2 and socket 939 which CPU's are installed?
Those two cards do not work together in Crossfire and certainly not on a nvidia chipset board!
The CPU is important with your AM2 DDR2 setup and his GPU X1950 pro you look to have the best setup you can get out of those unless he had a superior CPU to yours (I doubt that).
http://www.overclock.net/graphics-cards-general/502403-...
m
l
February 23, 2011 10:28:28 PM

I'll have to get back to you on the CPU's. Basically, I've given up on combining the two and I just want to get my original setup running as it was before. However; the computer won't boot with the HIS card installed.
m
l
Related resources
a c 1163 V Motherboard
February 23, 2011 10:32:12 PM

But it works with the 1950pro which is the better of the two?
m
l
February 23, 2011 10:44:56 PM

It does. I wasn't really sure which was the better of the two. Now that i know, I guess I can stick with that one.
m
l
!