Sign in with
Your question

Completely whack phone issue

Last response: in Storage
July 21, 2012 8:24:28 PM

I've always been relatively computer savvy (hardly a genius, plenty I don't know, but I learn quick).

Simultaneously... I always seem to run into problems no one else EVER has, and it's like a kick in the nuts every time.

Deal is this, I have an LG Optimus V (VM Android phone).

I plug it into my computer, G drive shows up (transparent), I activate mass storage (G drive goes solid) and double-click to open "Please insert a removable disk..."

I think.... and google around a bit.

I tried multiple cables, multiple sd cards in my phone, installed, uninstalled, reinstalled 2 versions of LG Optimus V phone drivers, rebooted my computer each time, nothing worked - I ran out of solutions in a hurry. I tried multiple ports (front and back), made sure my usb software was solid etc.

THEN, and this is the fun part... then I took my phone and plugged it into my laptop... worked perfectly, recognized, opened files, music, pictures... BAM..

MIND = BLOWN

I've probably got tunnel vision at this point - too close to it to see clearly, but I can't figure out what is wrong specifically on my DESKTOP that won't consider it to be a removable disk.

The phone charges fine, the computer recognizes that it's plugged in, but it won't let me open storage.

My USB flash drives, printer, camera... all my other USB devices have zero issues... only my phone, and only on my desktop.

All help is welcome and appreciated... I'm seriously about ready to tear my hair out.
July 22, 2012 12:18:46 AM

In fact they aren't.

Laptop = winvista
Desktop = win7

I already explored the link you provided, however, and those drivers did not resolve the issue.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
July 22, 2012 12:39:03 AM

How many drives do you have in your desktop? Perhaps your phone is set as drive D and your computer already has a D: drive and is giving you that error. Try changing your DVD drive to another drive letter and see if that works.
m
l
July 22, 2012 12:52:04 AM

Just one DVD drive (D:)  (I did as you suggested, but no results)

The computer recognizes both drives, which is kinda why I assumed it wouldn't work. There's no conflict there.
m
l
a b G Storage
July 22, 2012 12:57:37 AM

So when you plug your phone in, and you look at your drives in Disk Management, what drive does the computer assign your phone? Try changing the drive letter to Z:
m
l
July 22, 2012 2:18:57 AM

It assigns it to (G: ) as indicated by OP

Changing the letter to (Z: ) is ineffective
m
l
a b G Storage
July 22, 2012 4:38:14 AM

When you plug in the phone, how many icons show up?

There may be removable disk drive letters, but how about the actual phone, does anything else popup resembling a name?

Does anything popup with plug and play?

m
l
July 22, 2012 4:49:43 AM

Just 1 for "Removable Disk G:"

Other than that, all I have is "Local Disk C:" and "DVD RW Drive D:"

No, nothing else pops up, no plug and play.

With my laptop it does though (plug and play that is), and any other USB device hooked up to my desktop also does.
m
l
a b G Storage
July 22, 2012 5:05:10 AM

It’s not showing for some reason and probably has nothing to do with Disk G.

When I plug in my external hdd, windows 7 shows Disks h,i,j & k (no idea why windows does this) but the real disk icon sits beside the main drive. I mention this because it may steer you in another direction.

So perhaps the removable G you’re seeing has always been there. Having 1 hdd and 2 dvd drives myself there’s a removable F drive. Would be G for me too if i only had 1 dvd drive.

When I plug in my corsair flash drive, another icon pops up beside the F drive as being 'corsair'

What is the phone recognised as on your laptop? The id the phone gives should be labelled the same on your desktop.
m
l
July 22, 2012 6:37:23 AM

It is the same label for both

"Removable Disk"

G: only shows up when I plug in the phone, it disappears when I unplug it (on both machines)

Again laptop does plug&play for mass storage, desktop does not.
m
l
a b G Storage
July 22, 2012 6:39:33 AM

Have you tried using a USB connector on the backplane of the motherboard instead of off the front header?
m
l
July 22, 2012 6:42:19 AM

Yes, sorry I didn't state so explicitly (OP edited)
m
l
a b G Storage
July 22, 2012 6:57:19 AM

Have you tried rebooting both computer and phone whilst still connected?
m
l
July 22, 2012 3:59:12 PM

Actually I haven't, but tried to do so and it didn't do anything unfortunately.
m
l
a b G Storage
July 22, 2012 5:34:19 PM

With yourp hone connected to the computer, open the run command by pressing and holding the Windows key on your keyboard and pressing <R>
then copy and paste this into it:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll
click OK
it should run the Safely Remove Hardware prog

Is your phone listed if you click the "Display device components" radio box?

If it is, you can then see what USB Controller is driving it. I would make sure you have the drivers to that USB header and uninstall it in Device Manager

In Device Manager, after uninstalling the USB device, click your computer name at the top of the list, then clilck <Action> menu item and then "Scan for hardware changes"

At this point, I would let windows see if it can find a driver, if it can't point it to the driver location

----

You might also want to check Event Viewer for any USB related issues
m
l
July 22, 2012 7:05:42 PM

Okay, have to admit I'm a little confused.

I uninstalled G:\ under Portable Devices in Device Manager... when I scan for hardware changes, it re-detects G:\ but the taskbar window pops-up ... drivers not installed successfully.

My interpretation of that.. is that my computer recognizes it... but doesn't simultaneously... I'm probably missing something here, but that seems weird.
m
l
a b G Storage
July 23, 2012 1:01:30 AM

Think we're at a point now to start pointing fingers at either the operating system or phone.

The phone if there aren’t any options in itself then possibly it is an update problem from Microsoft.

I asked my sister last night about phones since she’s right into those and tells me her work had problems with iphones not connecting after updates from Microsoft. It was eventually fixed through updates.

Dig a little deeper in updating windows and there possibly lays your solution.

m
l
a b G Storage
July 23, 2012 1:52:37 AM

It's definitely a windows issue, because every other USB device he connects, works - and the phone works when connected to his laptop, however, the laptop is not the same OS.

I'm convinced its a USB driver issue in windows - whether it's the phone or windows that needs to be updated is the question.

If you connect the phone to another Win 7 computer, does it operate the same way, or does it work correctly?
m
l
!