Sign in with
Your question

Checking SSD Health Without OS

Last response: in Storage
July 21, 2012 9:07:42 PM

Hello!

I just had a laptop (really old) with an SSD in it (not so old). I just built a desktop, and moved my SSD over there. But before I install a new version of Windows (I can't use the Windows version on that hard drive 'cause it's 32 bit), I want to make sure that the SSD isn't messed up in any way. The laptop was dropped rather heavily, and immediately started having problems booting. In order to boot, I had to repeatedly press F8 (it was Lenovo) and boot that way. I COULD NOT boot from the Windows disc. Again, I COULD NOT boot from the disc. Because of that, I couldn't do r/chkdsk. Now, it's in my new desktop (it won't boot). How can I make sure that I'm not installing Windows on a damaged SSD?

Thanks!

More about : checking ssd health

a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
July 21, 2012 10:55:42 PM

You can boot off of an Ubuntu or Fedora LiveCD and check the drive from there. run the tool palimpsest to get information including SMART data from the drive.
m
l
July 22, 2012 2:11:03 AM

I've backed it up already. I managed to boot off of the Windows 7 CD. Is it possible to do r/chkdsk off of the CD with no OS? I formatted the drive (knowing the consequences).
m
l
!