Sign in with
Your question

Artifacts with 4890 and ASUS P6T

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 28, 2010 11:20:21 AM

Hello

I have recently moved to another province. Upon arriving and hooking up my computer I had alot of artifacts. Most times I couldn't even get into Windows because it was so bad.

I have tried different displays and even different cables to see if that might be the problem. Finally I moved the card to another PCI slot on the motherboard and it booted up fine and worked like normal. I figured my problem was a faulty PCI slot on the motherboard. When I rebooted today the problem is back. Now I am not sure if the artifacts are caused by my videocard or my motherboard.

Is there any way to fix the problem. I had the computer secured while moving and it wasn't bumped around at all. I am currently installing new drivers to see if that will help.
April 28, 2010 11:47:11 AM

Limper said:
Hello

I have recently moved to another province. Upon arriving and hooking up my computer I had alot of artifacts. Most times I couldn't even get into Windows because it was so bad.

I have tried different displays and even different cables to see if that might be the problem. Finally I moved the card to another PCI slot on the motherboard and it booted up fine and worked like normal. I figured my problem was a faulty PCI slot on the motherboard. When I rebooted today the problem is back. Now I am not sure if the artifacts are caused by my videocard or my motherboard.

Is there any way to fix the problem. I had the computer secured while moving and it wasn't bumped around at all. I am currently installing new drivers to see if that will help.

If you want try using the video card in another board and see if it gives you the same result. From the looks of it it seems the video card is bad but jusst to make sure try it in another board. Just my two cents.
m
l
April 28, 2010 2:27:18 PM

You haven't overclocked the video board have you? Or, have you done any increasing of bus speeds? If so, I would reset everything back to stock speeds and see if that fixes it.

m
l
Related resources
April 29, 2010 12:09:49 AM

Nope I haven't dona any overclocking but it is a MSI Cyclone that is already overclocked. I re-installed the drivers this morning and there seems to be no problems right now but I haven't done any gaming with yet either. I hope on the next reboot all is good.

Sadly I have no way of testing the card in another comp unless I go to a shop and get them to test it. Probably thats what I will end up doing. Also in the move lost all my warranty information regarding the card. Are MSI reasonable to deal with or am I sailing up the creek?

m
l
April 29, 2010 12:57:02 AM

Ok I tried to run the Call of Prypiat benchmark.

Trial 1: I accidently nudged the comp and it went fubar with crazy artifacts. So I am assuming its the card. Got damaged on the drive home.

Trial 2: I was running it with DX 10.1 on with Full Dynamic Lighting at 1920 x 1080 and it got to the part fighting the zombies in the building got some crazy artifacting and locked my comp.

It ran it before with no problems at all. The card is a lost cause me thinks
m
l
!