Sign in with
Your question

New mb for gamer

Last response: in Motherboards
February 23, 2011 5:03:11 PM

Hello,

Looking at a amd phenom 2 4x 955 or core i5-2400.

want 2 pci-express slots, usb3... 11n wi-fi

as stable and reasonably priced.

est purchase date: april?

ideas?

More about : gamer

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 23, 2011 8:47:55 PM

This topic has been moved from the section Opinions and Experiences to section Motherboards & Memory by Grumpy9117
a b V Motherboard
February 23, 2011 9:04:02 PM

Do you want to OC? If you do, don't buy the standard Sandy Bridge model (ie i5-2400). Get the i5-2500k or i5-2600k. The i5-2500k is considered the best buy out there in Sandy Bridge products anyway. The "k" model CPU's are unlocked so you can OC the crap out of them if you choose to. They don't OC in the "standard" or "old way" though. The k models have the multiplier unlocked, much like the high end i7-9xxk models do in the 1366 socket.

The board you buy will determine how many PCI slots you get but remember, the 1155 socket Sandy Bridge bandwidth is limited to 1xPCIe16 or 2xPCIe8 for a double set of GPU's. In other words, it is 16 for one GPU but 8 for each if you have 2 GPU. If you want PCIe16 in multiples, you need to upgrade from socket 1155 to socket 1366 boards and CPU's. A socket 1366 Intel i7-950 CPU along with an ASUS Sabertooth X58 motherboard will cost roughly the same as the Sandy Bridge 1155 socket setup will, but you will have triple channel RAM instead of double and multiple PCIe16. I went this way after reyruning my Sandy Bridge setup and have no regrets. The 1366 is a mature platform that doesn't have the issues that the new Sandy Bridge stuff is known for. If you want more info on that, take a look at most of the other posts! :ouch: 

Good luck and enjoy your new setup.
Related resources
February 23, 2011 9:21:08 PM

1965796,3,802982 said:
Do you want to OC? If you do, don't buy the standard Sandy Bridge model (ie i5-2400). Get the i5-2500k or i5-2600k. The i5-2500k is considered the best buy out there in Sandy Bridge products anyway. The "k" model CPU's are unlocked so you can OC the crap out of them if you choose to.

Let me ask a q about OCing....
does this do anything to the life of the cpu?
thanks,
a b V Motherboard
February 23, 2011 9:29:35 PM

Eagle Eye_54 said:
Do you want to OC? If you do, don't buy the standard Sandy Bridge model (ie i5-2400). Get the i5-2500k or i5-2600k. The i5-2500k is considered the best buy out there in Sandy Bridge products anyway. The "k" model CPU's are unlocked so you can OC the crap out of them if you choose to. They don't OC in the "standard" or "old way" though. The k models have the multiplier unlocked, much like the high end i7-9xxk models do in the 1366 socket.

The board you buy will determine how many PCI slots you get but remember, the 1155 socket Sandy Bridge bandwidth is limited to 1xPCIe16 or 2xPCIe8 for a double set of GPU's. In other words, it is 16 for one GPU but 8 for each if you have 2 GPU. If you want PCIe16 in multiples, you need to upgrade from socket 1155 to socket 1366 boards and CPU's. A socket 1366 Intel i7-950 CPU along with an ASUS Sabertooth X58 motherboard will cost roughly the same as the Sandy Bridge 1155 socket setup will, but you will have triple channel RAM instead of double and multiple PCIe16. I went this way after reyruning my Sandy Bridge setup and have no regrets. The 1366 is a mature platform that doesn't have the issues that the new Sandy Bridge stuff is known for. If you want more info on that, take a look at most of the other posts! :ouch: 

Good luck and enjoy your new setup.

no..how many times you going to repeat yourself...ASUS Sabertooth X58 motherboard..,and your shortcomings with P67 platform.blah..blah,we all know you got this board :pfff: 
stop spreading this nonsense !

@OP..you will get 2x16 with nf200 chip on mb llike UD7 if that is so important to you,2x8 or 2x16 for SLI/crossfire is marginal to say the list,for triple or quad sure get
X58 ,but if you want to move on to new gen. Intel cpu and gaming in on your mind get 2500K/Asrock extreme4(best bang for your buck) with some low CL RAM and you set
here is UD7 with nf200 chip 2x570gtx:

"At stock and clock for clock the P67A-UD7 bet out the X58A-UD5. It was hard to believe; I had to run everything 5 times, every one of these benchmarks was run 5 times. I couldn’t believe the results, but do not worry it pans out in a little. The margin for the P67A win is extremely small; I would say they are equal.
Now here is the same 3DMark Vantage with PhysX set to CPU."

full article:
http://www.overclock.net/intel-general/910467-ultimate-...
a b V Motherboard
February 23, 2011 10:04:18 PM

Most test results like the one you posted are easy to slant. Why don't you just admit what the manufacturers are saying: the 1366 socket is the top tier and Sandy Bridge is marketed for middle of the road (kids that game on a budget). I am not a kid and I don't OC so I'll stick with the best darn board I have ever owned in the 30 years of computing. I was not at all impressed with the 1155, if you are, good for you.
a b V Motherboard
February 23, 2011 10:13:38 PM

sdieddie said:
1965796,3,802982 said:
Do you want to OC? If you do, don't buy the standard Sandy Bridge model (ie i5-2400). Get the i5-2500k or i5-2600k. The i5-2500k is considered the best buy out there in Sandy Bridge products anyway. The "k" model CPU's are unlocked so you can OC the crap out of them if you choose to.

Let me ask a q about OCing....
does this do anything to the life of the cpu?
thanks,
said:

Yes, OC'ing can and does shorten the life of your motherboard, CPU and RAM. Even your GPU can be affected. But it seems most young people on this site don't care about that....alll they want is speed speed speed. They don't even realise how little real world benefit there is to OC'ing. They ignore the warnings from the manufacturers and one poster the other day even questioned that there is a warning! I guess he never read his owners manual! Anyway, if you do it properly and keep a close eye on the heat levels, you can get away with it but not for forever. Like my salesman always says, they'll be back for parts in a few months. I don't OC my stuff at all except for the turbo boost built into the CPU. I get plenty of performance out of my games and software...they are smokin' fast enough. I'll still have mine in five years too, unlike some. :hello: 
a b V Motherboard
February 23, 2011 10:42:42 PM

Eagle Eye_54 said:
Most test results like the one you posted are easy to slant. Why don't you just admit what the manufacturers are saying: the 1366 socket is the top tier and Sandy Bridge is marketed for middle of the road (kids that game on a budget). I am not a kid and I don't OC so I'll stick with the best darn board I have ever owned in the 30 years of computing. I was not at all impressed with the 1155, if you are, good for you.

I'm over 40 pal and yes Sandy Bridge is marketed as mainstream platform and it is as the new gen. CPU's
"Why don't you just admit ." that you just purchase over the hill ,first gen. cpu/platform that can be outperform by " mainstream" :lol: 

Edit; and what exactly "manufacturers are saying"????
a b V Motherboard
February 23, 2011 11:04:49 PM

Well, I am much older than you. Age before beauty there good buddy. Sorry if you don't like first hand product knowledge being passed on to these young fellows. I guess you could always stop reading my posts....then you won't get yourself in such a tight knot. :D 

BTW, Some of the OP's get a bit frustrated with the long term veteran posters here...they seem to ignore the basic questions they ask. Answer them so I don't have to. Please!

As for what manufacturer's are saying, I can't be bothered looking up a bunch of sites for you right now and I don't have them all bookmarked. Fair to say if you don't know what I am talking about, you haven't been reading. But you seem to have part of it correct....."Sandy Bridge is mainstream". The Top Tier is still 1366 socket stuff. They just released a new one a few days back....it is only $1099. The fact that you can now get a top tier CPU and board for the same low dollar as one of those mainstream troublesome 1156 socket replacements, I would think an old fellow like you would be jumping to get into the major leagues. :D  LOL
a b V Motherboard
February 23, 2011 11:18:48 PM

Eagle Eye_54 said:
Well, I am much older than you. Age before beauty there good buddy. Sorry if you don't like first hand product knowledge being passed on to these young fellows. I guess you could always stop reading my posts....then you won't get yourself in such a tight knot. :D 

BTW, Some of the OP's get a bit frustrated with the long term veteran posters here...they seem to ignore the basic questions they ask. Answer them so I don't have to. Please!

As for what manufacturer's are saying, I can't be bothered looking up a bunch of sites for you right now and I don't have them all bookmarked. Fair to say if you don't know what I am talking about, you haven't been reading. But you seem to have part of it correct....."Sandy Bridge is mainstream". The Top Tier is still 1366 socket stuff. They just released a new one a few days back....it is only $1099. The fact that you can now get a top tier CPU and board for the same low dollar as one of those mainstream troublesome 1156 socket replacements, I would think an old fellow like you would be jumping to get into the major leagues. :D  LOL

looks like you age is showing ,you may be going blind..
read the OP..i don't think he is looking for $1099 cpu/major league type of deal,25K i mention is way to go in his situation
you not answering his question ,you just want to keep mumbling about your sabertooth,get real and stop trolling
top tier this
a b V Motherboard
February 23, 2011 11:29:57 PM

Nope these Eagle Eyes aren't blind at all...I can see a troublemaker even in the dark.

I was simply pointing out to YOU that 1366 is top tier (which is usually referred to as the top of the heap or the best, definitely not mainstream like the inexpensive SB CPU's you seem to be in lust with). To further prove my point, Intel is still releasing new CPU's for the 1366 socket (at very high prices as I noted). The most expensive SB is $340...that is not top tier good buddy, that is Wally World prices. BTW, I was not referring to the OP in that post, I was addressing your boring drivel.
a b V Motherboard
February 23, 2011 11:55:23 PM

go away troll
Trolling = Fishing for a negative/frustrated reaction out of other forum members for your own personal satisfaction
or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into a desired emotional response[1] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[2] In addition to the offending poster, the noun troll can also refer to the provocative message itself,....
a b V Motherboard
February 24, 2011 12:03:31 AM

Yadda yadda yadda. You are the one that broke in and starting attacking posts....I suspect that makes you a troll.

Edit: I see you went to the trouble of editing your attack message again so I will respond.

First of all, re-read my first post! I asked a question about whether the OP wanted to OC or not. It makes a HUGE difference as to which Sandy Bridge CPU and which mobo one should suggest to him. ortoklaz, you should know that. That does not fit your definition of troll at all. In fact, I was trying to help the guy while so-called veteran members like yourself were sitting on your hands.

IMO, this is what does fit the definition "as meant to provoke or upset":

"no..how many times you going to repeat yourself...ASUS Sabertooth X58 motherboard..,and your shortcomings with P67 platform.blah..blah,we all know you got this board :pfff:  stop spreading this nonsense!"

Mentioning that I own a specific board is stated to show first hand, hands-on knowledge of a product and what it is or is not capable of. Since I have also owned a Sandy Bridge setup and used it for 12 -15 hours a day for three weeks, I also have first hand knowledge of its' good and bad points. I am suggesting to prospective buyers that there are alternatives to the recalled Sandy Bridge platform, an alternative that is both a reasonable one and often recommended by others. Even the price point is similar. That is not trolling and I am outraged that you would suggest same!

Shame on you ortoklaz. You owe me a sincere apology and I expect one.
a b V Motherboard
February 24, 2011 3:26:00 AM

You guys are derailing this thread. Please get back on topic. If you have a disagreement, please back it up with evidence.
a b V Motherboard
February 24, 2011 2:31:39 PM

Couldn't help but notice two points in the conclusion comments: 1) the differences when gaming are marginal. 2) the writer uses a 1366 i7-920 and he won't switch until the 2011 comes out.

I have never said the Sandy Bridge stuff isn't fast, it is smokin fast, but so are the 1366 platform products. My point is that there are alternatives to it for those that are fed up with recall hassles, RAM issues, and various other pains in the butt posted about around the world.

The 1156 socket was dumped after 18 months because of issues, that is the quickest ever in the history of Intel. It was replaced with the 1155, the so-called Sandy Bridge. What assurance does the consumer have that the 1155 won't be just like it's cousin? After all, we are off to bad start with a recall in only 3 weeks after release.

On the other hand, you can buy a proven mature platform that works extremely well and is just as fast as the new kid on the block. It has a greater bandwidth as well and is better suited to SLI video.

Enough said. You made your point, I made mine. Drop it.
a b V Motherboard
February 24, 2011 2:48:13 PM

1-I don't see OP sitting on 1366 platform
2-"In other words, it is 16 for one GPU but 8 for each if you have 2 GPU. If you want PCIe16 in multiples, you need to upgrade from socket 1155 to socket 1366 boards and CPU's"...total BS.., already proven
3-"It has a greater bandwidth as well and is better suited to SLI video"..can you prove this?
Do you see me bashing 1366 like you do 1155?
It's not fair for you to came up here with empty statement just because you have bad experience with 1155
a b V Motherboard
February 24, 2011 4:13:53 PM

ortoklaz said:
1-I don't see OP sitting on 1366 platform

I said the writer, not the OP. Here is what the writer stated in his conclusion remarks: "My personal daily rig (i7 920) will be staying on X58 until LGA2011".

ortoklaz said:

2-"In other words, it is 16 for one GPU but 8 for each if you have 2 GPU. If you want PCIe16 in multiples, you need to upgrade from socket 1155 to socket 1366 boards and CPU's"...total BS.., already proven

My ASUS P8P67 Pro was 1x16 or 2x8 for GPU

My ASUS Sabertooth X58 is 1x16, 2x16 for GPU

ortoklaz said:

3-"It has a greater bandwidth as well and is better suited to SLI video"..can you prove this?

See answer on point 2.
ortoklaz said:

Do you see me bashing 1366 like you do 1155?

I am not bashing anything, I said directly to you many posts ago, if you like the 1155, great. I don't. The recall and the various issues that come up concern me. Also, I plan to go with multiple GPU's and the 1366 platform is better suited to that. That isn't bashing, it is stating facts. If you don't like to read facts, then don't.
ortoklaz said:

It's not fair for you to came up here with empty statement just because you have bad experience with 1155

Fair? What is this, grade one? I could care less about fair. We are talking about the merits of one socket over the other and which setup I choose to put my money into. I am simply stating facts and concerns about the two socket types. I have already stated that the 1155 is a great OC'ing machine but I am concerned about the recall. What else might be wrong with the Sandy Bridge stuff? We don't know....yet. Time will tell that story but I was not about to stick with it to find out. I also see many complaints and frustrations posted on many forums around the world about SB. I had some of those issues and frustrations. I can state bluntly that I was not impressed by them. If this doesn't concern you, fine. I really don't care what you like or dislike. But the issues with the 1155 do concern me. Enough that I returned mine and I am VERY glad I did. Thankfully, I didn't loose any money in the deal because ASUS is a great company and they were very generous in their return policy. I normally base my buying decisions on facts, return rates, features, brand history and everything else that is relavant to the buying decision. I made a major buying mistake buying a new unproven product that was released the day before I bought it. Shame on me for not doing what I usually do but I needed a new system since my old 775 socket setup bricked. The articles about Sandy Bridge were encouraging and I decided to try it. I was not willing to pay top dollar for a 1366 setup at the time although I would have if the price was better. Since the release of SB stuff, the prices of 1366 have dropped...in some cases by a big amount. Now they are more affordable and I like that. My i7-950 CPU used to sell for $750 here, I got it for $289. My Sabertooth X58 board used to sell for $250 here, I got it for $189. It even boasts a 5 year warranty that no other board has that I am aware of. Furthermore, I got 3x2GB of RAM, for the same price I had paid for the same make and model of RAM that was in my 1155. So, I paid $50 more net tax in to rid myself of a troublesome middle of the road setup to a much more reliable 1366 setup. Ask me if I am glad I did. :kaola: 
!