Massive Lag with HD 4670

mynameisjonasjp

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010
Hello,
everyone, I just purchased and installed a HIS Radeon HD 4670 and I've been having some issues.

Im Running Win7 on a machine with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800 Processor, 3GB of RAM and 650W PSU. When I upgraded to Win7 i was using a ATI Radeon 1600 Pro. This card is not really fully supported by ATI in Win7 but it still did a decent job, i managed to run Aero fine and most of my games played without a problem. I was playing PES2010 and i had some lag in the in-game videos, celebrations etc, but gameplay ran very smooth.

I bought a HIS radeon HD 4670 hoping it would smooth things out but i am having problems with it. The in-game videos and celebrations, pre-game stuff all run great, smooth and beautiful. When gameplay starts though, it just lags tremendously, it is impossible to play. I have tried the Driver included in the installation CD, the driver which windows installs, and the latest drivers from both the HIS and ATI websites without any progress. I have bumped down the resolution of the game but i still get considerable lag. I just dont understand why the game would run fine with an old card not supported in Win7 but with a new one which is supported and double the memory would run slow.

bobalazs

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Did you uninstall your old driver, and dl+install a new one?
Which game are we talking about?
Your processor still isn't a high end one, so shouldn't be expecting tremendous improvement though.

mynameisjonasjp

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010

I've tried removing and reinstalling the driver. I've tried downloading the latest ones from ATI. The game is called PES 2010.

I know my processor isnt high end but the game ran fine with the old video card (512mb Radeon 1600). With the new card the game actually runs much slower, to the point that it is unplayable.

konakid

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2009
HI mynameisjonasjp.

I had that same problem with My hd4650 crossfire pair and windows 7. I never could fix it. Even with driver updates. I just bought a new game and it seemed to help.

Have you played around with the 3D settings in Catylist?

mynameisjonasjp

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010
@konakid getting another game doesnt really help since other games are suffering the same way. I used GPU-Z and it keeps telling me the GPU is running at 100% even when im not using anything like a game or movie. To tell you the truth i havent really played around with the settings in catalyst for 3D

mynameisjonasjp

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010
I finally found a fix for the issue i was having. I found a forum where someone posted there was an issue with the Microsoft High Definition audio driver and these video cards. They recommended i disable the driver and restart the computer. I did so and now everything is running smooth, and I did not lose sound. All of the games i tested last night ran smoothly and way better than before.