dumplingandrice

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
Hello,
So, I was on my computer about a week ago, until my PC suddenly crashed after a short power outage in my area.
After that power outage, Windows has been corrupted and non responsive when I boot my PC.
After trying to use start-up repair several times, my computer would still simply not boot past the loading page.
So after numerous attempts including online searching, I found out that I can still recover my
data via Ubuntu. As I attempt to, however my it seems all my data is missing in my hard drive.
Is there anyway I can recover it, or is all my data gone :[?
All the data shown is 10 gigs from the small partition I made for Ubuntu.

canadian69

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
If there was data corruption on the drive (data pertaining to the operating system) then yes I have seen computers refuse to boot past the loading screen. Sometimes safemode will work, other times you can use bootable DVD's with utilities to recover them, sometime the OS has to be reinstalled. However, in most of these cases the users data is always there.

However, if you have done something to the partition table on that drive (as it seems you have) you could have inadvertently blown away everything that used to be there. Did you use a partition tool to insert this new partition for Ubuntu? If you re-partitioned the whole drive, your data is gone baby gone.

dumplingandrice

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
Yeah I used the partition tool for Ubuntu (Using the Dual Boot option though, I thought my Windows Data would still be there?)..
Safe mode wasn't booting either, so I thought Linux would be my safest bet..
Lesson Learned..
Well, should have backed up when I had the chance..

Testdisklogo_clear_100.png
TestDisk, Data Recovery
TestDisk is powerful free data recovery software! It was primarily designed to help recover lost partitions and/or make non-booting disks bootable again when these symptoms are caused by faulty software, certain types of viruses or human error (such as accidentally deleting a Partition Table). Partition table recovery using TestDisk is really easy.

TestDisk Step By Step to recover lost partitions and repair damaged FAT/NTFS boot sector
Recover deleted files from NTFS partition

NOTE If seeked lost file are still missing, give PhotoRec a try. PhotoRec is a signature based file recovery utility and may be able to recover your data where other methods failed.

PhotoRec is file data recovery software designed to recover lost files including video, documents and archives from hard disks, CD-ROMs, and lost pictures (thus the Photo Recovery name) from digital camera memory. PhotoRec ignores the file system and goes after the underlying data, so it will still work even if your media's file system has been severely damaged or reformatted.

TRENDING THREADS