Sign in with
Your question

Cpu Motherboard Compatibility problem

Last response: in Motherboards
February 24, 2011 1:26:32 AM

Hello, I wanted to purchase a AMD 6 core CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... and didn't find a big variety of motherboards that supported it. There were a few but I was wondering if they were really worth that much. I mean 270 sounds a lot for a motherboard. At least thats my opinion. If you can find something for around 200 dollars that supports this cpu, that would be fantastic. Thanks! :D 
February 24, 2011 10:29:44 PM

Thank you for the answer. I was wondering if you could tell me if the motherboard supported my build + the six core AMD processor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Specs:
Ati Radeon 5770 (I would like to crossfire x it and would like to have enough slots)
PSU Rocketfish 500
of course the AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz 6 CORE
and I have a v9 black edition thermaltake case which keeps everything pretty cool XD
Related resources
a c 112 V Motherboard
a c 117 à CPUs
February 24, 2011 11:50:43 PM

chumpoholic said:
Thank you for the answer. I was wondering if you could tell me if the motherboard supported my build + the six core AMD processor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Specs:
Ati Radeon 5770 (I would like to crossfire x it and would like to have enough slots)
PSU Rocketfish 500
of course the AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz 6 CORE
and I have a v9 black edition thermaltake case which keeps everything pretty cool XD

Absolutely the 890 boards were designed for the 6 core processors.
February 25, 2011 12:10:57 AM

Yes I understand but would a 500 W PSU be able to handle the CPU AND the components?
a c 112 V Motherboard
a c 117 à CPUs
February 25, 2011 2:27:26 AM

chumpoholic said:
Yes I understand but would a 500 W PSU be able to handle the CPU AND the components?

That's a very good question!
Something i was wondering myself as i know nothing about Rocketfish other then it's BestBuy/FutureShop inhouse.
Theoretically a 500W is more then enough for 5770.Not to sure about yours though.
A good quality 550-650W unit would easily handle 2x5770.
Are you Canadian or American?
February 25, 2011 3:24:34 AM

American. Lets forget about crossfire. Lets zoom in on the motherboard and the PSU. My question is that if a 500 W PSU can handle powering the motherboard, fans (there are like 8 in my pc) in cluding the cpu fan, and the ati 5770.
a b V Motherboard
February 25, 2011 4:15:51 AM

Why not go to the Corsair web site or some other PSU makers site and punch in the numbers on their self help guides. They will provide you with the power size you need. Frankly, if you ever think you might want a second GPU, I would size the PSU accordingly now rather than have to replace it next year or so. In other words, you want a minimum of 750 to 850 watts.

PSU's are where a lot of folks go wrong. They go cheap and they regret it later. My advice is spend a bit more and get a gold rated PSU from one of the top tier PSU providers. That means Silverstone, Thermaltake, Corsair, Cooler Master, Antec and numerous others.

A lot of people don't realize that PSU's lose there stuff every year you run them. I understand that 5-10% of the output is lost every year through general use and wear and tear. So an 850 watt unit today is a 765 or so watts in actual output next year. This is especially true when you buy a low price PSU with cheap components inside. Garbage in, garbage out.

Hope this helps you. :) 
!