Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New SSD with Fresh Install shows no MBR

Last response: in Storage
July 21, 2012 7:15:27 AM

I just installed a brand new Samsung 830 256GB SSD with a BRAND NEW Win7 install complete with tweaks for Trim etc.

All I did was attempt to wipe my old HDD clean and re-initialize it as a data drive. Now my system says it doesn't have an MBR and my recovery disc won't recognize any windows installations.

help? :( 
July 22, 2012 12:27:05 AM

in your bios do you have ahci enabled?
m
l
a b G Storage
July 22, 2012 12:58:08 AM

Did u install w7 with only SSD attached?

If not, then the system files may had been stored on your HDD, by wiping it up will delete it.

U will need to reinstall w7 with only ssd attached (simplest way...)
m
l
Related resources
a b Ô Samsung
a c 181 G Storage
July 22, 2012 1:02:36 AM

All I did was attempt to wipe my old HDD clean and re-initialize it as a data drive < there were still some files from the ssd install on the hdd , that is why you should perform a clean install with nothing attached but the ssd
m
l
July 22, 2012 1:04:31 AM

I believe what happened is the original HD had the MBR stored on it along with being set as active. Only one drive may be set as active. So when you wiped the HD you also wiped the MBR which contained the directory of the new OS on the SSD. As others have said, you will need to install on the SSD which will write out a new MBR. Also the SSD will have to be set to active.
m
l
July 22, 2012 1:10:22 AM

unplug the hdd and then run the install of win7
m
l

Best solution

a b G Storage
July 22, 2012 1:23:42 AM

Quote:

I believe what happened is the original HD had the MBR stored on it along with being set as active. Only one drive may be set as active. So when you wiped the HD you also wiped the MBR which contained the directory of the new OS on the SSD. As others have said, you will need to install on the SSD which will write out a new MBR. Also the SSD will have to be set to active.

I agree, all is not lost however as you can repair this from the command prompt with the Windows 7 install disk.
a b Ô Samsung
a c 181 G Storage
July 22, 2012 2:37:35 AM

This topic has been moved from the section Windows 7 to section Storage by Area51reopened
m
l
July 23, 2012 4:45:42 AM

Best answer selected by HunterTank95.
m
l
July 23, 2012 4:48:00 AM

pjmelect said:
Quote:

I agree, all is not lost however as you can repair this from the command prompt with the Windows 7 install disk.

It was a nightmare but it turned out part of the system had been stored on my 3TB hdd.
After booting to a USB-stored OS and forcing a wipe on the 3TB as well as a new format as NTFS primary (non-active) and THEN booting to recovery disk and performing SFC /scannow as well as a couple repair startups I finally managed to get everything i needed back on the SSD and boot successfully. No data lost.

Man what a pain though.......you would think that win7 would install to the drive I specify and NO WHERE ELSE -_-.
m
l
!