Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Does the i7-930 come with pre-applied thermal paste?

Last response: in CPUs
August 4, 2010 5:37:42 AM

I just bought the i7-930. It came with a fan/heatsink but the thermal paste was nowhere to be found. I'm attempting to build a computer for the first time so I have no idea what the thermal paste looks like after its been applied.

Does this CPU typically come with thermal paste already applied?
a c 162 à CPUs
August 4, 2010 5:43:10 AM

The thermal paste would be preapplied to the bottom of the heatsink it came with, pull the little plastic cover off of the bottom and you should see a little square of gray goo, that would be the paste.
a b à CPUs
August 4, 2010 5:43:28 AM

the heatsink would usually have the TIM applied to it. its a grey substance, fairly thick.

is there none on the heatsink?
Related resources

Best solution

a b à CPUs
August 4, 2010 7:17:45 AM

The i7 930 box comes with a LGA 1366 heatsink which should have some thermal paste on the bottom (it should come in three stripes in the center). There is no thin plastic sheet covering it though. Like welsh said it's relatively thick (it's meant to be flat & evenly spread out which will happen once you mount the HSF) and it's grey.
August 5, 2010 1:30:18 AM

Quote:
LOL

Boy it really pays to read the directions. Good luck with that build.

I actually did read the directions and it says nothing on there whether or not it has pre-applied thermal paste or not. It's literally about 5 pages of English and 30 pages of the same directions in 5+ languages.

This is why I came on here to ask Tom's Hardware because I know this place has a bunch of really experienced MATURE builders that I could gain some knowledge from for my first time build.

Please do not spam again.
August 12, 2010 3:31:55 AM

Lmeow said:
The i7 930 box comes with a LGA 1366 heatsink which should have some thermal paste on the bottom (it should come in three stripes in the center). There is no thin plastic sheet covering it though. Like welsh said it's relatively thick (it's meant to be flat & evenly spread out which will happen once you mount the HSF) and it's grey.

Thank you. I just built my budget computer and I saw what you meant. I appreciate the answer. :love: 
August 12, 2010 3:32:03 AM

Best answer selected by Carc369.
a b à CPUs
November 4, 2010 6:35:02 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!