Help Choosing: HD5870 or MSI R5870?

Fiztandantibus

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
Hello everyone,

I am currently looking to buy an ATi HD5870 and I have just seen that there are many different brands offering different core clock speeds all for very different prices.

[strike]I was looking to know your thoughts on which brand to go for as well as how much memory (1Gb or 2GB) I had my eyes set on an XFX HD5870 'til I saw the MSI R5870 and then for not even £10 more there is the 2GB HD5870 models the PowerColor HD 5870 2GB GDDR5 and the Sapphire HD 5870 2GB GDDR5 which granted both have 6 mini display ports as opposed to normal DVI or a HDMI output.[/strike]

I am wondering if it's worth going for the MSI R5870 (which costs about £50 more than an XFX) which has a stock core clock already at 900MHz (instead of the 850MHz of the XFX) and 15 phase as well as an apparent predisposition to massive overclocking.

Also just wondering if anyone knows whether my PSU can take the MSI I have an Antec New TruePower 750W Bronze certification (and it does have 2x8-pin modular connectors). I am pretty sure I can take the XFX quite easily.

Please feel free to write your opinions.
Thanks for your time and expertise

Edo

Dont go with an eye-finity six card if you are not going to use that many screens.

If you live in the US and warranty is a must I would go with the XFX, if you can care less about the warranty then get the Vapor-X.

2Gb cards are worthless unless you are running a high res screen.

Fiztandantibus

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
I live in the UK and I was reading about the 2GB cards now and you are totally right, it would be pointless to get an eyefinity 6 (I kinda suspected that as I posted) however do you think the MSI R5870 is worth buying as opposed to the XFX? I do have that little extra money (for once) and was wondering if it would be a better buy seen as it seems to have better performance and great reviews.

Fiztandantibus

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
Waow they just issued a deal where I'd save £70 on the site it must be a sign!!!

I am so glad to know I could take it with the PSU
Thanks again