Install OS on SSD then delete OS on HDD ?

I want to install a SSD with my OS. I don't want to clone my hdd and prefer a clean install.

As that goes, I plan to install the OS onto the SSD then once installed switch the boot order in the
Bios so that it selects the SSD as my boot drive in slot 1. Once I'm up and running on the SSD's OS then I will
move my files(pictures, videos, books, games) from my HDD onto a second HDD. Then all that should
be left is my OS and other miscellaneous. At this point, I will wipe the HDD using DBAN. Afterwards I'll
setup the HDD again and return files.

Any problems with my plan?

Solution

Yup you have to reinstall EVERYTHING. Programs make setting changes and registry entries when they are installed. They have to be installed under the running OS to work or windows won't know they are there or be able to run them. If you go find the exe on the HDD and try and run it under the new OS it won't work.

I typically setup install base programs and updates,.get everything tested, working and activated, then make an image so I can go back to that new clean state later if necessary without reinstalling/updating again. This first.install needs to be clean...

When you boot off the windows disk it will let you select the drive, and will create the partition and do the format. You don't need to do anything to the SSD itself ahead of time. You should make sure your SATA port is set to AHCI in the bios before the install though. Windows won't boot if you switch it after.

acyuta

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Either you can disconnect all disks except the disk (SSD) you want to install or do this:
1. Boot from windows dvd
2. when you get to install screen: for existing HDD delete windows partition or better still delete all partitions (providing you have backed up existing data from it)
3. recreate partitions on HDD
4. select ssd and install on ssd.

As everyone has said, it is not wise at all to install on SSD and then make the HDD inactive or delete the partitions. The point is to have only one 1 active partition at all times.

Ok. Kinda noob to desktops. I appreciate the help. But so far enjoying the learning process that goes with a desktop.

I'm unplugging both my HDD. Then I'll install the SSD and connect it to my SATA3 port on the mobo. Next, I'll insert Windows 7 DVD and boot the computer. I'll go to BIOS and make sure the AHCI is selected and then run Windows 7 setup. I can't remember which is first Windows 7 setup or preparing SSD.

Afterwards, I want to update my mobo. I didn't do this the first time (with HDD) and I want the latest and supposedly greatest abilities. So I plan to update the hardware and software. If my mobo software is on the HDD will it interfere with my SSD software cuz of verstions?

Afterwards I'll make sure SSD is my boot drive #1 in BIOS then reconnect HDDs. From there I will try to transfer files but I assume most games (like BF3) will need to be reinstalled by downloading again.

Is there a fast way to transfer programs that are on HDD to SSD? I want to move my BF3, Photoshop Elements 10, Microsoft Office, Metro 2033, and Batman Arkham City.

Got the order right. you'll need to install motherboard drivers etc so download the most recent driver versions for everything, don't use the old stuff on CDs.

Programs must be reinstalled under the new OS to work. so copy save games/files, format/partition the HDD, then reinstall programs. You can opt to put them on the HDD by selecting custom or advanced install.

Steam and origin games are a special case. You can copy the game folder off the HDD, reinstall steam/origin, then put the game folder back and steam/origin will handle the install. You don't have to re-download the files. Remember, saved games are in your Windows user folder, usually appdata. Not the game folder. You need to find them and move them before wiping the HDD.

One thing not mentioned so far, check for firmware updates for the SSD and install any update before installing windows. SSDs are notorious for shipping with bad firmware.

Yup you have to reinstall EVERYTHING. Programs make setting changes and registry entries when they are installed. They have to be installed under the running OS to work or windows won't know they are there or be able to run them. If you go find the exe on the HDD and try and run it under the new OS it won't work.

I typically setup install base programs and updates,.get everything tested, working and activated, then make an image so I can go back to that new clean state later if necessary without reinstalling/updating again. This first.install needs to be clean since it's an SSD but you can take an image with easeus todo backup or another free imager so you never have to start.from scratch again if you want

Solution
Gonna sleep on it. Bought the 120GB Intel 330 today. Chose it because of its reduced price, and it came with cords and bracket. Cost $103. If I would have purchased the Plextor or Crucial it would have been near $130. I think it should be good, I'll update once I get the chance to begin installation.

So far I got my OS up and running. It takes 30 seconds to completely boot. Much faster than before, although I'd like 15 seconds instead.

I got my OS and basic programs installed. (No games like BF3 or MS Office yet) Then I made a backup. Afterwards I installed other free downloadable programs.

I put BF3. It was a little tricky. At first I tried easeUS but got confused. So I simply moved the BF3 game from my HDD to SSD. Then I installed Origin. However, games wouldn't work. So I had to download n uninstall a punkbuster program that I found through EA forum. Now things are working fine. Although I feel like something is a little slow yet.

Currently I'm checking how to test my new SSD's speed. Also, is there any easy way to migrate my MS Office over to the SSD?

TRENDING THREADS