Sign in with
Your question
Solved

(Noob) What wires go into a HDD (I may be missing one)

Last response: in Storage
July 22, 2012 4:52:12 AM

Hey guys I probably sound like I'm asking a dumb question but I can't figure this out anywhere. I can't find the cable that goes into my Hard Drive. I have one of them - the SATA cable.... but I don't know what the other plug even is. I think its either the data transfer or the power cable but I'm missing one of them. By the way I'm using a Caviar Blue Western Digital hard drive.

More about : noob wires hdd missing

Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 22, 2012 5:48:30 AM

there is only 2 needed . .
July 22, 2012 1:16:18 PM

I don't see how to add a picture but if you could tell me I'll be happy to show you what I'm referring to.
Related resources
July 22, 2012 1:24:32 PM

Yeah there is a third plug on some hard drives that I know of (my Seagates have it), but you don't need to use it and I also don't know what it's for. All you need is the SATA connector and SATA power.
July 22, 2012 1:35:20 PM

Thanks, just to clarify, since I can't figure out how to upload a picture, if you google "western digital caviar blue," it's the last picture on the first row. Then on that picture it's the port on the left that isn't a SATA cable... regardless I think I'm missing one and when I try to install windows, it can't find the drive which made me think I'm missing a cable in the first place...

Best solution

July 22, 2012 1:49:54 PM

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

if your talking about the circled part , thats just jumper plugs, sata drives dont need to use them
July 22, 2012 3:34:18 PM

Thanks guys I got it figured out and I'm typing this on my NEW PC!!!
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 22, 2012 3:42:38 PM

nice! glad you got all your problems sorted.
August 1, 2012 6:50:15 PM

Best answer selected by bennetinc.
!