Sign in with
Your question
Solved

UPS for my rig??

Last response: in Systems
June 2, 2010 4:51:21 AM

I am going to be purchasing a new rig here soon and I have been told that having a UPS is the single most important thing I should get, esp. if I don't want to replace my whole computer for something as stupid as a power bump.

So I started looking through the UPS section at the egg, and CyberPower seems to be the most affodable. I was told that if I have a Corsair HX650, that I
divide the 650/.7=928.5 +20% to be safe. so 1115VA is what I should get. SO I assume this to be accurate enuff.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This is the one I was looking , and was hoping it will be good enuff, the other one I was looking at is this:

All I really want to do is find one that is good enuff and affordable. If you have any advice or thoughts please let me know. I plan on getting the HX650 and I plan on hooking up two LCD screens and maybe my xbox and big screen.

More about : ups rig

June 2, 2010 6:09:26 AM

Salt-City_Slasher said:
I am going to be purchasing a new rig here soon and I have been told that having a UPS is the single most important thing I should get.............

I agree. UPS does a much better job than Fedex or the postal service. When you order your new rig, make sure the merchant ships with UPS!
m
l
June 2, 2010 2:33:04 PM

Either one is good i have the CP1500AVRLCD and once set-up i get 47min back-up time and 5 min reserved for safe shut-done.
I live in Ontario Canada and summer storm season helped me make my decision to protect my $2000 investment.
Had a few of quick 1 second outtages so far this season.
Those don't register but i've had a undercurrent situation once also for 1 second.
Click my more info to see my configuration.
Btw i also have a high powered Yamaha 2.1 set-up plugged in .
Had mine for 4+ months and i love it great piece of mind.
A worthwhile investment imo plus i see free shipping a no brainer!
These suckers are heavy!
Mine may seem like overkill but i bought it for under $200.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

June 2, 2010 4:42:26 PM

Salt-City_Slasher said:
I am going to be purchasing a new rig here soon and I have been told that having a UPS is the single most important thing I should get, esp. if I don't want to replace my whole computer for something as stupid as a power bump.

So I started looking through the UPS section at the egg, and CyberPower seems to be the most affodable. I was told that if I have a Corsair HX650, that I
divide the 650/.7=928.5 +20% to be safe. so 1115VA is what I should get. SO I assume this to be accurate enuff.

This is the one I was looking , and was hoping it will be good enuff, the other one I was looking at is this:

All I really want to do is find one that is good enuff and affordable. If you have any advice or thoughts please let me know. I plan on getting the HX650 and I plan on hooking up two LCD screens and maybe my xbox and big screen.

The bigger one seems more appropriate since you plan on hooking two LCD screens at the least. But take note that most benefit for you will be protection during bumps. These UPS do not have enough juice to run your rig to continue the game or finish some work for long time. The back up time is mostly just enough to gracefully shut down the PC to protect it for crash.

June 2, 2010 7:25:00 PM

Well thats what I really need just a protector from power bumps, because I can think of 5 times off the top of my head this last winter when we had 2hours+ down time.
I will try and the best one I can, it's just going to be hard because I will be purchasing my whole computer and I want everything supurb.
I will keep checking things out, I already know the HX650 is enuff for my rig, I was considering the HX750 but the recommended for CF-X was 650.
I was told that APC and TripLite were the big brands, but cyberpower is more ideal to me.
m
l
June 2, 2010 11:13:35 PM

I did alot of research before my purchase the usual reviews etc.
And the Cyberpowers came out on top in everyone of them battery back-up time.
And performed at the same level or better in other benchmarks.
The only thing that's the same quality is an APC and they cost $10-20 more for equivilant product.
m
l
June 3, 2010 1:41:34 AM

CyberPower has three LCD's the 1000,1350, and 1500watts, that are 120,154, and $180. I figured if I am going to pay
120 I might as well pay 155. So my plan is to get the 1350watt at 810watts. I think it should definitely be more than plenty for me. I don't know the run time after power outage but I only really want it for safe shutdowns.

I don't have tons and tons of outages but I do get several blackouts each winter so I really don't have to have one that will run my computer for that long I can always just use my Android.lol.
How to tell how long it will run on no power??
m
l
June 3, 2010 2:46:09 AM

Mine came out of the box with a full charge.
Hook up your components and pull the UPS's power cord when it's fully charged.
Let it run out and it will display your result once powered up again.
Your psu will emit a buzzing noise with a non-pure sine wave unit.
This will not damage your psu if it's high quality.
Thanks for the info JackNaylorPE very useful for ppl reading this thread.
Was already aware of the differences and yes they are very costly.
For the average user this won't be an issue for the amount of times one might experience outtages.
Especially if you don't run your gear 24/7.
Pure sine wave gear is suited for servers and mission critical equipment or 24/7 power users.
Btw i was considering that exact unit just wasn't in the budget.
If i experience a catastraphic failure it will be my next purchase.
m
l
June 3, 2010 5:47:13 PM

I will admit that is off the hook and that company makes the best of the best.
I just dont have 300 to drop on something like that. It is the cheapest way to go, cause a solar panel or generator will cost a ton more, plus the solar won't be as effective.

I do want one, I think I will have to get something more around 100-150, or wait till later but sooner the better.
m
l
June 26, 2010 3:54:54 AM

Salt-City_Slasher said:
Well thats what I really need just a protector from power bumps, because I can think of 5 times off the top of my head this last winter when we had 2hours+ down time.
I will try and the best one I can, it's just going to be hard because I will be purchasing my whole computer and I want everything supurb.
I will keep checking things out, I already know the HX650 is enuff for my rig, I was considering the HX750 but the recommended for CF-X was 650.
I was told that APC and TripLite were the big brands, but cyberpower is more ideal to me.

I have a few mis friends and they always suggest APS for what its worth. How do u determine what size UPS will support your system?
m
l
June 26, 2010 4:14:42 AM

gerry410 said:
How do u determine what size UPS will support your system?

UPS will ship any size system. From netbook to Mainframe.
m
l
June 28, 2010 3:02:30 AM

FALC0N said:
UPS will ship any size system. From netbook to Mainframe.

yer an idiot :o 
m
l
!