Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Game Server CPU: Xeon or Core2 ( Or other )

Last response: in CPUs
August 4, 2010 8:28:52 AM

I'm just wondering if buying a "server" processor is going to be worth it to host a game server.

Or will a normal Core 2 Quad or AM3 Athlon x4 do the job?

I want to host a wow-private server, maybe even a Battlefield Bad Company 2 server. Plus other games in the future.

What do you think?
a c 141 à CPUs
August 4, 2010 5:52:51 PM

There is WAY more to setting up a game server than picking a particular CPU. What sort of network connection will you have? How many connections (users) do you want to support simultaneously?

For most private stuff, you don't need a massive server, just about any dual/tri/quad core CPU, with plenty of memory (minimum of 4GB I would think), and sufficent HDD space will do the trick. Unless you have some sort of dedicated network connection, your network is likely to be your most significant bottleneck.

Good luck!!!
Score
August 5, 2010 1:28:20 AM

My work has a good connection, and I'm going to run it from there. I have 8GB of ram, 2 150gb SSD's. I Just can't decide on a CPU.

As far as the WoW private server, i would love to have maybe 1000 ppl online across a few realms. ( I know it will take a long time to get that population ) and Maybe a 32 man BFBC2 server. ( If the private server does get that big I will host a BF server on a new server box)
Score
Related resources
a c 141 à CPUs
August 5, 2010 11:17:59 AM

What type of network connection does your work place have (i.e T1, T3, etc.)? 300GB of disk space via the SSDs is probably not enough storage. You will want to look at a couple of HDDs (I recommend at least 2 1TB HDDs) in RAID. You will also want to back up the system from time to time so take that into consideration as well.

Still, going back to the CPU question....what kind of RAM do you have DDR2 or DDR3? That will help settle the which CPU (and associated mobo) question.
Score
August 5, 2010 12:06:20 PM

Exactly your biggest bottle neck is you network connection. max that out. like *** really max it out.
Score
August 6, 2010 7:34:16 AM

I'm not sure on the exact connection of my company, its Charles Schwab. We have a MASSIVE servers, etc... I'm sure its nothing but the best. Ive Hosted a wow private server off my home network, it only had about 80 ppl though.

Ram is my old DDR2.

I don't need 2tb of storage to host 2 video games. Plus SSD's are WAY faster, and a HDD is anothe bottle neck.
Score
August 6, 2010 7:41:24 AM

Get new ram. If you are making a new system then requirements differ. If you wanna put rams on your current mb, which i see supports ddr2, then getting at least 2x2gB DHX corsairs wont be a bad option.

Stick with ssd's for sure. i don't know about your network connection still.
Score

Best solution

a c 141 à CPUs
August 6, 2010 11:58:28 AM

Well, I am surprised that Charles Schwab would allow you to host a game server on their network, unless they are allowing you to operate within a DMZ to isolate your server from their internal network. If I were the lead IT/CIO type at the company you wouldn't be doing this on the company network.

BTW, you still can use just about any modern 2/3/4 core processor as your game server CPU and there are tons of choices that will take advantage of the 8GB of DDR2 you have. If you are really looking at hosting up to 1000 users, simultaneously, you will want to stick to a true server configuration. Here is a HP system you can buy at Newegg. Install your SSDs and RAM and have fun:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Good luck!
August 6, 2010 12:05:44 PM

COLGeek said:
Well, I am surprised that Charles Schwab would allow you to host a game server on their network, unless they are allowing you to operate within a DMZ to isolate your server from their internal network. If I were the lead IT/CIO type at the company you wouldn't be doing this on the company network.

AS strict as i am . My mentality is the same.
Score
a b à CPUs
August 6, 2010 12:41:14 PM

COLGeek said:

Thats what i would of thought as well.

Companies and government typically dont like there network to be used for anything but what it's being payed for. :/ 
Score
a c 141 à CPUs
August 6, 2010 2:09:30 PM

Just imagine the holes that would have to be made in the FW in order for random users to join the hosted apps.....If investors knew of such a plan, they would NOT be happy.

Financial institutions are supposed to be all about security for their clients' information. Hosting a game server, even in a DMZ, presents an unacceptable risk.

Tillman32's plans, while fun and admirable from a gamer's perspective, are not suitable for hosting on a company network in this manner. Host at home with a dedicated DSL connection and have fun (or host at any number of service providers and use their network pipes). This is not work friendly.
Score
August 6, 2010 2:35:31 PM

Lol would be fun when his boss finds it out that his t3 line is choking with gamers. hahaaha i wont be happy.
Score
August 6, 2010 7:37:18 PM

haha, Its okay guys, my older brother is Sr Systems and Network Administrator there. He has a line to his house, its the same connection as at work. And thats where I will be hosting my server. I will have to ask him what type of connection they have.
Score
August 7, 2010 5:00:43 PM

You're going to end up getting your brother fired.

Also SSD's are kinda over rated. Like the other guy said 1-2tbs in raid, btw ecc ram would be better.

Again I hope you know anyone who google's Charles Schwab can see this now.
Score
a b à CPUs
August 7, 2010 5:15:01 PM

Use some Xeon 5600 series CPU......BTW Cool Idea!!
Score
August 8, 2010 7:14:04 AM

He won't get fired, he IS the top when it comes to the network and systems of the company. Thats why he has his own PERSONAL line to his house for him to host servers. Personal Server hosting is allowed, and anything else because its his own personal connection.

I'm gonna do the Core 2 Quad because I have one already. Thanks for the help everyone.
Score
November 15, 2010 12:51:31 AM

I was looking for info a game servers, and I just had to reply to this because it's the most hilarious thing I've seen in a long while.

Is the OP still around to provide an update on this? I would love to hear what happened after he illegally hosted a WoW server on his brother's company's network. In case things are going ok with this, I forwarded this thread to Blizzard's legal department so hopefully some good action will arise shortly!
Score
November 15, 2010 3:46:22 AM

Serejai said:
I was looking for info a game servers, and I just had to reply to this because it's the most hilarious thing I've seen in a long while.

Is the OP still around to provide an update on this? I would love to hear what happened after he illegally hosted a WoW server on his brother's company's network. In case things are going ok with this, I forwarded this thread to Blizzard's legal department so hopefully some good action will arise shortly!

I'm happy you've found something so fulfilling to do with your life. /clap

Blizzard is well aware of the thousands of private servers, they won't take the time to "hunt" some new small private server down. Its to much work for them to find out the info of my server for this thread. They can just go to sites that list the top private servers that actually have lots of people. I'm sorry they don't waste time to entertain people like you.

I bagged the private server idea because I got back into retail, it's now serving other games.

Enjoy your pointless forum posting and I'm glad this was funny to you.
Score
November 15, 2010 3:49:09 AM

Best answer selected by Tillman32.
Score
a b à CPUs
November 15, 2010 5:49:04 PM

This topic has been closed by Maziar
Score
!