Solved

Best am3 board w/ SLI

So I want to stick with phenom II x6 1090T
I really want a geforce card now since that's what I was recommended on here (560 ti)
I'm building for my first time and don't know a thing but I have learned a need a motherboard than can support sli.
I noticed there are not to many...

There is the Asus M4N98TD Evo I was looking on newegg
Then there's that fancy new Asus Crosshair IV Extreme that costs a little more than I'd want.

Should I stick with ati and just get 6950's or what do you think?

I don't want to run into any complication but want a pc that can last me for a while. I don't want to have to blow more money soon either...
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about best board
  1. A single card does not require a SLI motherboard.
  2. ^ Yup, any motherboard with a PCIe 16x slot will support a GPU from any company.
    You only need to worry about SLI or CrossFire support if you wish to use two GPUs in tandem.

    As long as you are planning on using only one GTX 560 Ti you will have no issues.
  3. If you get the ASUS M4N98TD EVO AM3 MOBO then you can indeed get another nVidia GTX 560 Ti. Remember ATI = AMD same company.

    You can re-flash the HD 6950 via software and unlock it into a Radeon 6970. Nice video -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvp5-SlV1Q0 Benchmarks -> http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/NVIDIA_GTX_560_Ti/12.html

    However, if you go the ATI/AMD GPU route then get one of the following MOBOs:
    ASRock 890FX Deluxe4 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157208
    ASUS M4A89TD PRO/USB3 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131655
    ASUS Crosshair IV Extreme http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131667

    The ASRock is a very good AMD 890FX MOBO; ASUS owns ASRock.

    Good Luck!
  4. outlw6669 said:
    ^ Yup, any motherboard with a PCIe 16x slot will support a GPU from any company.
    You only need to worry about SLI or CrossFire support if you wish to use two GPUs in tandem.

    As long as you are planning on using only one GTX 560 Ti you will have no issues.


    I don't know if I'd want to use two 560's versus using two 6950's - Yes I want the option to use two in the future so I do want a motherboard with either sli or crossfire support.

    GeForce cards seem better so I want SLI support but there aren't so many boards am3 w/ SLI....but that damn expensive ASUS crosshair extreme, or the m4n98TD EVO....
  5. Onus said:
    A single card does not require a SLI motherboard.


    I want to be able to stick another in.
  6. Best answer
    In that case, the M4N98TD Evo is probably your best option.

    To be honest though, I am not a fan of nVidia's chipsets.
    I have never found them to be as stable, featurefull or as overclockable as their Intel and AMD counterparts.
    As such, I would recommend sticking with a pair of 6950's (while attempting to unlock them to 6970's) and a quality motherboard based on a recent AMD chipset.
  7. outlw6669 said:
    In that case, the M4N98TD Evo is probably your best option.

    To be honest though, I am not a fan of nVidia's chipsets.
    I have never found them to be as stable, featurefull or as overclockable as their Intel and AMD counterparts.
    As such, I would recommend sticking with a pair of 6950's (while attempting to unlock them to 6970's) and a quality motherboard based on a recent AMD chipset.


    I'm realizing sli support mobos for amd are limited so I think a crossfire board is fine.
    I'll stick a 580 in down the road.
    I want crossfire for the future maybes.
    So I'll but a single nVidia card in it, upgrade to a 580 or crossfire radeons
    What's the best motherboard for that.

    What's the best am3 mobo out there in general, looking at a max price of 270ish.
  8. Best answer selected by tinywolves.
  9. Just to let people know what I went with in the end, completely different:

    i5 2500k ($10 dollars more than 1090 T, benches way higher.
    ASUS P8P67 Pro
    MSI GeForce 560 Ti
    WD Caviar Black 1TB
    8 G Mushkin Enhanced Backline Frostbyte


    etc etc, and an awesome NZXT Phantom case :D
  10. Looks like a good build and now you have the choice of SLI and CrossFire ;)
  11. outlw6669 said:
    Looks like a good build and now you have the choice of SLI and CrossFire ;)


    Exactly, get the best of what there is, if a Nvidia card happens to be better than a Radeon, or vice versa.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards SLI Product