Setting Operating System up on mSATA SSD

aaron_c

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
My laptop came with a 1TB HDD, and I added a 60GB mSATA SSD into the mSATA bay. The laptop is a Lenovo Y580. I have been trying to clone or restore to the SSD, but have been unsuccessful so far. I can buy the Windows 7 x64 (Professional) for $65 (which is cheaper than any computer shops quote to do this for me around here) because I'm still a student.

Would I be able to download the Windows 7 x64 directly to the mSATA SSD from the internet, while booted up on the HDD? And then simply shut down and boot to the mSATA SSD? If not, would I be able to make this work at all by buying the new OS and trying to cleanly install it to the SSD to boot to it from now on?

aaron_c

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
By that, do you mean I would need the actual disc and not just the download version?

I emailed Lenovo support last week and have yet to get a reply from them. I work 7:30-5 every weekday so it's hard to get them on the phone, but maybe I should give it another shot tomorrow.

dosdecarnitas

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
i had a Y560 and Msata work just fine, you dont have to check nothing with lenovo (thats stupid) just make a clean install of a fresh retail windows installation

you are doing it too complicated

aaron_c

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
Make a clean install of a fresh retail windows installation?

By that do you mean...create a repair boot disc, create a backup image, boot to disc, and attempt to load the backup image to the mSATA? If so, it won't work on this computer.

Your post confused me a little because I don't know what you mean by "clean" install, or by "fresh" and "retail" windows. My laptop came with the OS already loaded onto it, so that wouldn't be a fresh or a retail version I assume right?

aaron_c

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009

Short version of what I was saying in my previous post- it sounds like you did the same thing I'm thinking about doing, installing a brand new OS onto the mSATA drive. Right?