Why do people think macs are overpriced?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ehanger

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
Why do people always say that macs are overpriced? Here is a build I planned on newegg that went with the same specs as the lowest tier 21.5" imac. Since the mac includes OS, Screen, and wireless mice/keyboard I put those in the shopping card as well.

Here is everything listed out:

CPU $124.99: Intel Core i3-540 Clarkdale 3.06GHz 4MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 73W Dual-Core Desktop Processor BX80616I3540

RAM $94.99: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL8D-4GBRM

Motherboard $119.99: GIGABYTE GA-P55-USB3 LGA 1156 Intel P55 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Video Card $84.99: HIS H467QR1GH Radeon HD 4670 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

PSU $109.99: CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-650HX 650W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Case $154.99: Antec P183 Black Aluminum / Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

HDD $69.99: Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

DVD burner $18.99: LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA CD/DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

Display $179.99: ASUS VH226H Black 21.5" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen 16:9 Full HD 1080P LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 1000:1 (ASCR 12000 : 1) Built in Speakers

Bluetooth adapter $29.99: D-Link DBT-120 USB 2.0 Wireless USB Bluetooth Adapter

Bluetooth mouse $39.99: Interlink Electronics VP6151 Black Bluetooth Optical Rechargeable Notebook Mouse

Bluetooth Keyboard $99.99: SolidTek KB-3962B-BT Black 89 Normal Keys Bluetooth Wireless Mini Keyboard with Touch-Pad Built-in

Heatsink(apple doesn't use crappy stock heatsinks in their computers) $35.98: ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm Fluid Dynamic CPU Cooler

Operating System $99.99: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM

TOTAL: $1,261.85 for the PC vs. $1,199.00 for the MAC

This system is MORE expensive than the price apple advertises on their website. Not to mention the fact that the mac has a warranty and is an all-in-one professional grade build

Yes you could have built this computer a little bit cheaper by selecting crappier/lower end parts but I tried selecting the same quality components as apple uses in their systems.

Flame me all you want haters, you can't avoid the truth. Stop living with your blind fanboyism and wake up.

jefe323

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010

couple things wrong with your "comparison."

first, apple doesn't list which brand/model RAM they use, so your choice is not a true reflection of price comparison. (I imagine apple uses the same type of crap RAM most other pc makers use)

second, like above, your choice of motherboard is random as apple doesn't say which mobo they use (probably some generic intel mobo)

third, the PSU apples uses is probably some generic POS psu, not top of the line corsair (and probably not modular like your choice)

fourth, you chose a fairly high performance SATA HDD. Like everything else I said, apple probably uses some crap 5200 RPM HDD

fifth, apple uses wireless, not necessarily bluetooth

So in conclusion, your price comparison method is just a waste of time...nice try :lol:

Lets look at the price of the parts that would go into the mac

They likely get their motherboards from foxconn, they get many products from them so the board only costs about $80

They dont need to put in an 850W PSU, since the mac is non-upgradable, and you picked and outrageous PSU for the rest of the system so you were purposely biasing that part. The imac could easily run on a 400CX so that drops $50 off the price.

You picked one of the highest end 500GB HDD available, it wasnt even out when the new Imacs got released so its definitely not in their, i would expect them to use a 500GB caviar blue that costs $55, so thats knocks off another $15

You are right that apple doesnt use crappy stock cooling in their machines, they are forced to do a custom cooling job because the airflow is so bad within their machines. Mac Pro's have to use custom Mac ram with extra large heatsinks because they cook themselves if they dont have the bigger heatsinks.

An imac has a lot in common with a laptop, small low power parts packed into a tight space, and when you buy 10k of a single part you can get it for quite a bit less.

Martin 71

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010

beat me to it... ^this guy is entirely right^

MarkG

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2004

When I went laptop shopping a few months back I did compare Macs to PCs.

My Toshiba laptop: $1099
Closest equivalent Mac laptop (200MHz more CPU but less RAM, less disk, etc): $2499.

So yes, Macs are overpriced.

Martin 71

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
Mac is spending waay too much money on making their computers look good from the outside... and it's a bit hypocritical to be calling us fanboys when you buy the most expensive parts to make yourself appear correct. And don't go calling us fanboys when you're buying the most expensive parts that don't even need to be in the rig you set up...

coffeejunkee

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010

the imac doesnt have usb 3.0, that's another 30$ for an add-in...oh wait.

I dont consider the imac (too) overpriced btw, its strong points are not to be found in the specs.

wow expensive case much, the antec 300 would be fine, good design, doesn't look horrible, and decent airflow

not to mention they use a very low memory 4670, that they special get (that is cheaper), speaking of which, there is a Gigabyte 1GB DDR3 4670 for $70 (instead of $85)
"ATI Radeon HD 4670 256MB GDDR3 SDRAM"

EDIT: though if you really want to talk about over priced, you can't even get a laptop with the same specs as mine as they only go up to the i7-620m (i have the i7-720QM)

why not compare all of them, i find that building your own comes out better anyways (except for the extreme low end garbage computers, but even that gets close sometimes)

a build using a foxconn board, non-gaming memory (generic G.Skill), the Gigabyte 4670, WD Blue 500GB, Antec 300 + Antec Earthwatts 380W, same monitor, logitech wireless keyboard mouse came to $850

thats $350 less than the base model, now if you start upgrading that base model, a DIY starts becoming a lot cheaper, not to mention if you want OSX on this machine OSx86 has a list of hardware for each revision of OSX that works and tells what patches needed to be applied (in many Intel LGA 1156 cases - none)

runswindows95

Distinguished
Case and PSU in comparison: $265

$90 for a decent case and PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129065

Mouse and Keyboard used: $170

No mention of Bluetooth at all, so basic wireless combo for $30: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823109045

I just shaved $315 right off the bat. Also, the stock cooling that comes with the processor would be equivalent to what's in the Imac, so I'm already $350 cheaper than the PC comparison. Also, I did an HP with the same specs as the Imac, and it's about $800.

daship

Distinguished
OMG, obviously "RETAIL PERFORMANCE PARTS" are gonna be up in value.

Mac uses the cheapest junk they can get.

If you want to compare, lets compare to Dell or HP ect.... you can get the same specs in a dell for <$500.

Or how about my custom built Mac, i3, I got it overclocked to 4.0, and I got more ram, and double the HDD space, and A $23" monitor for $750. And I have dual boot, I can boot into OSX or Windows, without bootcamp.

Lets not forget the millions of available apps for PC, and the couple thousand for mac. Lets not forget about gaming, Mac is trying but there not there yet.

ehanger

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
lol you pc guys are giving barebones configs but fail to recognize that APPLE DOESN'T USE CHEAPASS PARTS IN THEIR SYSTEMS. They are different than dell and hp they use premium highquality parts in their computers. They custom design their motherboards to be fully optimized for the parts they are putting in to it.

Everything in a mac just fits, and they don't use cheapass foxconn/generic brand.

daship

Distinguished

Fail, you obvously have no clue. They do indeed use foxcon. And the imacs got lowend nvidia and now ati parts. They dont use the highend parts.

Why use high quality parts in your system when mid level parts are perfectly fine for what you can do to a mac? Why would they pay extra to get boards with good chipset cooling, high quality capacitors rated for 105C, and multiphase voltage regulators? Unless you plan to be doing overclocking these features are useless. Most of the cost of high end motherboards is the added features, if you custom design a board to give you just what you need and no more you can get it for a lot cheaper and still know it will work fine.

Apple has no reason to buy premium high quality parts that enthusiasts do, Macs are restrictive enough on what you can do to your hardware that you would never be able to encounter the limitation a cheaper board has to a more expensive one.

Status
Not open for further replies.