Sign in with
Your question
Solved

CPU cannot boot

Last response: in Systems
June 2, 2010 1:09:49 PM

Dear friend,
My CPU is about 8 years old. Recently after shutdown & retart few hours later, it's cannot boot up. The only sign can see is LED indicator, fan in PSU & Procesor turn on for 3 second only, and nothing happen after that. I try to remove power supply to the HDD, RAM and problem still persits. If either mobo or processor spoil, how to troubleshoot it. Please help.

More about : cpu boot

a b B Homebuilt system
June 2, 2010 1:18:08 PM

Um, why are you still using a 8 yr old CPU? Most likely it finally died. These things aren't built to last much longer than 5 years.

Proper way to diagnose would to read the sticky thread first, and then if everything in that thread and the ones it links to fail, swap out components 1 by 1 with known working parts and see whats broken.

Problem is, I doubt you'll find compatible MOBO/RAM or even PSU's with the correct cables for something that ancient.
m
l
June 3, 2010 12:10:34 AM

To reiterate part of the above post (and this was learned through recent experience): breadboard it step-by-step if you are truly committed to figuring out your issue.

But, to also reiterate another part of above post, it might not be worth it for 8 year old machine. I have a 6 year old PC and it is still running OK (P4C800-E mobo and P4 CPU) but when this thing goes I am not bothering...just gonna replace (assuming I don't replace it before it goes).

Good luck!
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
June 3, 2010 12:44:00 AM

The processor is probably still good, the fault is probably a faulty power supply, eight years is a good time for a power supply to last for.
m
l

Best solution

a c 122 B Homebuilt system
a c 172 à CPUs
June 3, 2010 7:57:05 AM

Our standard checklist and troubleshooting thread:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-postin...

Inside that is a link to breadboarding:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/262730-31-breadboardi...

But my first guess would be power supply. The best way to test a PSU is to replace the PSU with a known good one of similar power capacity. Brand new, out of the box, untested does not count as a known good PSU.

Next best thing is to get (or borrow) a digital multimeter and check the PSU.

Yellow wires should be 12 volts. Red wires: +5 volts, orange wires: +3.3 volts, blue wire : -12 volts, violet wire: 5 volts always on. Tolerances are +/- 5% except for the -12 volts which is +/- 10%.

The gray wire is really important. It should go from 0 to +5 volts when you turn the PSU on with the case switch. CPU needs this signal to boot.

You can turn on the PSU by completely disconnecting the PSU and using a paperclip or jumper wire to short the green wire to one of the neighboring black wires.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FWXgQSokF4&feature=yout...

This checks the PSU under no load conditions, so it is not completely reliable. But if it can not pass this, it is dead. Then repeat the checks with the PSU plugged into the computer to put a load on the PSU. You can carefully probe the pins from the back of the main power connector.

If your problem is anything but the PSU, the system is not worth repairing. After all, you can always move the PSU to another computer.
June 6, 2010 7:55:26 AM

Dear Friend,
Thank you for the valuable advise. I'll follow the instructions for the troublshooting & will posts again the outcome.
m
l
June 6, 2010 8:00:24 AM

banthracis said:
Um, why are you still using a 8 yr old CPU? Most likely it finally died. These things aren't built to last much longer than 5 years.

Proper way to diagnose would to read the sticky thread first, and then if everything in that thread and the ones it links to fail, swap out components 1 by 1 with known working parts and see whats broken.

Problem is, I doubt you'll find compatible MOBO/RAM or even PSU's with the correct cables for something that ancient.

Dear friend,
Thanks for your kind replied.I just think if the unit can be salvage for use. Anyway if discard away may contribute to carbon emission.
m
l
June 6, 2010 8:01:57 AM

Best answer selected by munyc.
m
l
June 6, 2010 8:32:00 AM

pjmelect said:
The processor is probably still good, the fault is probably a faulty power supply, eight years is a good time for a power supply to last for.

Dear friend,
Thanks for the advise, wil start trouble from there. What is the next step after PSU?
m
l
July 1, 2010 11:55:55 AM

pjmelect said:

Dear Friend,
You are right, the PSU is dead. I replace with new one & it's perfectly working.
Thanks guy.
m
l
!