Regarding 1600 ram in a board that supports only up to 1333 ram

Soulrave

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
Hi, long time lurker first time poster here.

I recently made an order for my new pc and just noticed awhile ago that the board that I purchased ( Intel DP67BA ) only supports up to 1333mhz for ram. The ram I bought with it is the Corsair xms3 1600mhz.

Would the ram I bought still work for that motherboard? Do I need to tweak things in bios or something for it to work?

Solution

Unfortunately, there isn't a QVL to go by for your board. However, I did find the following info on the Intel web site:

System Memory Features

The board has four DDR3 DIMM sockets arranged in two channels and supports the following memory features:

* Two independent memory channels with interleaved mode support
* Support for non-ECC, unbuffered...

Eagle Eye_54

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011

Unfortunately, there isn't a QVL to go by for your board. However, I did find the following info on the Intel web site:

System Memory Features

The board has four DDR3 DIMM sockets arranged in two channels and supports the following memory features:

* Two independent memory channels with interleaved mode support
* Support for non-ECC, unbuffered, single-sided or double-sided DIMMs with x8 organization and single-sided DIMMs with x16 organization
* 32 GB maximum total system memory (with 4 Gb memory technology)
* Minimum total system memory: 512 MB
* Serial Presence Detect
* DDR3 1333 MHz and DDR3 1066 MHz SDRAM DIMMs

32-bit operating systems are limited to a maximum of 4 GB of memory. These operating systems will report less than 4 GB because of the memory used by add-in graphics cards and other system resources.

To be fully compliant with all applicable Intel® SDRAM memory specifications, the board should be populated with DIMMs that support the Serial Presence Detect (SPD) data structure. If your memory modules do not support SPD, you will see a notification to this effect on the screen at power up. The BIOS will attempt to configure the memory controller for normal operation.

This applies to:
Intel® Desktop Board DP67BA

Since the Intel web site doesn't confirm which specific RAM will work with their boards, I suggest you go to the Corsair Memory Finder utility program and see the list for tested RAM modules from Corsair that will work. I notice that the "Vengence" series is recommended for enthusiast users as a first choice. They do give you alternatives though. See for yourself at www.corsair.com/learn_n_explore/

Hope this helps.

Solution
Generally, any RAM should work fine. If the board only supports 1333, then it'll run 1600MHz at 1333 and you can just tighten up the timings at the slower speed to get the same performance (more or less) that you'd have gotten out of 1600MHz ram.

You could also probably get it running near 1600MHz if you set it to the 1333 ratio on the board and overclock your base clock (aka fsb).

Windrunner

Distinguished
BANNED
Jul 11, 2016
that board allows no overclock and even tiny changing the bios settings can make board wont boot. then you have to change jumper position to 1-2,turn on system,correct the bios settings,shut off,back jumper in 2-3 position and boot normally.