Sign in with
Your question

Some final questions on first computer build

Last response: in Components
August 4, 2010 3:54:42 PM

Hello!

I'm about to pull the trigger on the newegg shopping cart I've had laying around for a couple weeks. Here's what I have so far:

1. Motherboard: ASRock P55 Extreme LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard
2. OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM
3. Processor: Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor BX80605I5750
4. Case: NZXT M59 - 001BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
5. Optical Drive: ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
6. CPU Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7 compatible RR-B10-212P-G1 120mm "heatpipe direct contact" Long ...
7. Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM
8. GPU: Palit GTX460 Sonic 1 GB
9. Hard drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
10. Keyboard: LITE-ON SK-1688A/B Black PS/2 Wired Standard Keyboard

A few questions for anyone who would like to help me out...
1. Can you recommend a good power supply?
The one I'm currently considering is the Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W Continuous Power ATX12V. But I may be in no man's land with too much power for the current set-up and too little should I decide to SLI in the future. I don't think I will be SLIing any time soon, so could someone recommend a cheaper one? On the other hand, one thing going for it is that the Antec 650 is bundled with THIS memory. Any appreciable difference between it and the memory I chose HERE?

2. Do I really need a CPU cooler right now? The only games I'll be playing for the next six months will probably be just starcraft 2 and maybe a little Team Fortress 2. I probably won't be able to appreciate an overclock on these games, no?

Thanks for the help!

August 4, 2010 4:03:49 PM

Perhaps I should mention that I'll be gaming on a monitor with a 1920x1080 native resolution, so I'll try to run my games at that resolution, too.
August 4, 2010 4:30:59 PM

Hey jdebarde, I'm helping my brother build a very similar system to your setup.. going with an i5-750 and even that blue G.skill memory, but he's using a 5850 instead of the gtx 460. Anywho.. we're gonna go with the new Kingwin LZG-700w PSU, it's modular and 80plus Gold certified. Not a whole lot of reviews out there yet, it was released within this past month, but Kingwin looks like it has a decent track record from other PSU reviews. It's got a huge discount on it right now, selling for $89.99 (originally $169.99) so I'd definately recommend giving it a shot while the deal is still going on.
Related resources
August 4, 2010 5:22:03 PM

Thanks for the post zeruin. I'm still not sure about my original questions though. Any takers? I'm thinking I may be able to skimp on the power supply without any problem. I think that power supply is more $ than the one I have.
August 4, 2010 5:40:56 PM

I've not seen anything to solidly support this (lack of interest in the game), but I'd guess that Starcraft 2 will probably be quite CPU dependant meaning that a reasonable overclock 'should' have quite a positive effect. TF2 on the other hand will most likely benefit very little.

I'd stick with the PSU you've got there, it's a solid model and unless you're considering Sli'ing in the near future will suit your needs perfectly.

Also the 1156 stock cooler is crap, I've got a MUX-120 on my i5-750 due to that so it's a good idea with going for an aftermarket cooler, even if you're not planning on a heavy OC.

PS: Never skimp on the power supply, go for a cheap one and you've potentially wasted your entire system.
August 4, 2010 6:23:06 PM

Awesome. Thanks for confirming what I was thinking.

May all your gerbils be crispy and succulent.
August 4, 2010 6:28:36 PM

No problem, enjoy your new system.

One last thing I'd suggest though is going for a retail rather then OEM copy of Win7.
OEM versions can only be used one one computer (= one motherboard) so if you suffer from unexpected hardware failure / upgrade the system your OEM copy will be completely useless. Retail on the other hand can be endlessly reinstalled as long as only one is active at a time.
August 4, 2010 6:35:44 PM

OOoooOO. You make a good point, because I already have a retail copy of windows 7 for my laptop, which this system is intended to replace... for the most part. Now I'll have to consider just wiping the laptop and installing linux or maybe an old copy of XP if I can find it. :) 

At least, I assume what I have is a retail copy. I bought it directly off Microsoft's online store...
August 4, 2010 6:42:39 PM

From what I can see the Microsoft store only sells full + upgrade copies, so you should be fine with that.
It might tell you to phone MS when you try to activate it though, they should give you a special activation code if it does, but it can be a bit of a pain to get through to.
August 4, 2010 6:49:39 PM

A bit of a pain, but undoubtedly worth the $100 or whatever, at least to me.

One more question: I clearly have no idea what to look for in a motherboard.

Could I get away with the one linked below over the ASRock P55 I currently have picked out? The one I'm linking to is cheaper and comes as a combo deal with the cooler.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
August 4, 2010 6:57:39 PM

If you ever want to go Sli you'll need to stick with the ASRock, but otherwise the P7P55 motherboards are all decent (got the P7P55D-E myself).

Just depends on if you're happy sticking with 1 GPU.
!