Is 12GB of So-DIMM DDR3 1600 Unstable?

Foxdie50

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
I considering Buying a gaming laptop, It supports upto 12GB of DDR3 1600mhz, however, it wasnt listed in the laptop configurator. Upon calling a Rep, he claimed "that" much memory at "that" speed proved to be unstable, EVEN THO the motherboard company ok'd it. I would really like to purchase this memory but not if its going to be unstable. Any Feedback? This may be only specific to laptops but, are any desktop folks having issues with this aswell?
(please dont reply with "why you need so much fast memory"? thats just annoying)
Thank you for you replies! :)

Solution
It is more a matter of how many memory modules are installed than the total amount as an example 3 x 4GB should be just as stable as 3 x 2GB, 6 x 2GB might need relaxed timings, speed or command rate to run stable.

Foxdie50

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
There are, to my knowledge, 3 SO-DIMM slots available but the AvaDirect rep said they dont list it becuase it unstable. Also, im having a hell of a time finding a 12GB kit OR a single stick of 4gb

I was EXTREMELY careful to say "mobile CPU", I'm well aware of the 'notebooks' like the Clevo X7200 using 'Desktop CPUs' with a reworked LGA 1366 MOBO.

15 Pounds and 45~60 minute Max battery-life; it's a stupid Notebook. Like the days of Apple/IBM lead acid 'mobile' PC's. Hour or less batter-life + HEAT grows old very fast.

that horrible, the best mix is a powerful mobile computer and a decent battery life, whats the point of a laptop if it isnt mobile for very long outside of ur home, that defeats the purpose of been mobile and movable ,

if thats the battery life of certain laptops might as well buy a desktop since u cant bring it somewhere without the battery ac-dc plug ,

seems pointless honestly

Foxdie50

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
Actually, funny you should mention that (to all). The reason im asking is becuase im buying the Clevo X7200 and right now iv ordered Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600 but its only 2 modules of 4GB, 8GB total. Im looking to grab another 4GB without having to buy the 8GB just to waste the other stick. Yes, the x7200 is Triple channel support and im getting the Intel i7 970 in it.

My question has morphed a little...or rather, it lost weight. Where can i find a SO-DIMM DDR3 1600 4GB memory module?
(1 x 4GB) <- just to be clear

Foxdie50

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009

Foxdie50: " it wasnt listed in the laptop configurator. "

I ended up ordering the Laptop from Malibal with Sli 485's, the i7 960, and im holding my 8GB of 1600MHZ. Upon talking to the Malibal rep he said the motherboard dosnt even support 1600mhz. Infact, it would only support up to 1333 IF i baught the extreme i7-990! Either he is lying OR AVADirect is trying to pull a very cheap and disgusting business tactic