I need help connecting WinXP computer to Canon Mp970 wireless.

ByteGuy

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
Okay, here is my setup:
Internet to wireless router, Canon MP970 printer connected to router wired.
Computer #1, Windows 7 32bits, wireless connection to router with print capability.
Computer #2, Windows XP 32 bits, wireless connection to router, getting internet but
no print capability. Canon drivers won't install without acknowledging printer.

Thanks for any step by step instuction provided.

Gileon7

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
Are you trying to add the printer through the add printer wizard?

If so, I'd try to add the printer using the canon software that came with the printer or download the software from the Canon site. For some reason I've come accross many network printers that must be installed from their software.

ByteGuy

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
Yes, I am trying with the Canon software, but the software is not recognizing the printer across the wireless connection. I can't figure out how to get the software to see the wireless connection or the printer.

Gileon7

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

If the printer is connected through ethernet, find the ip address of the printer. Run the printer wizard, but choose
add a local printer. If you are using XP, clear the Automatically detect and install my Plug and Play printer.

Again, if using XP click next, then tic Create a new port. In type of port, choose local port. Click next.
Then in Enter a port name, input the ip address. Click ok on the port name window, then choose have disk. Browse to the location of the drivers and finish the install.

If using Windows7 start the add a printer wizard. Choose add a local printer, choose Create a new port and Local port as the type of port. Click on next. Name the port the ip address, click on ok, choose have disk and browse to the drivers.

In either case you might look if the printer drivers are listed after you click on ok on the name the port window, if so give them a try.

ByteGuy

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
Okay, now it gets more confusing!! LOL!! How do I find out the printer's ip address?
I'm lucky I was able to get the computer to access the Internet wirelessly!! LOL!!